• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Martin Greenfield - first suit fitting next week

gopherblue

Reaction score
Great write up--glad the fitting worked out and hope the suits meet your expectations. When you go out next time, just take the L train to Morgan Avenue--it is a couple short blocks to Varet--the neighborhood is perfectly safe, just industrial. There is a great pizza place called Robertas nearby--worth the detour.

Goph

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Roberta's is great if you can find it. Great pizza, good beer on tap, hot waitresses.

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mack11211
MG is in an industrial area of East Williamsburg (really Bushwick).

It used to be scary but isn't so much, anymore. So be not afraid.

LOL @ East Williamsburg...kind of like how people call Red Hook and Sunset Park "South Slope".

Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
Roberta's is great if you can find it. Great pizza, good beer on tap, hot waitresses.

Aint no L&B though. Next time your at Frank's, we need to go get some.

I look fwd to pics of the finished product. Very cool write up, ignore the haters.

FE-X

Reaction score

Thanks to all for the responses. Here is how my first visit went, sorry for the long story, I felt like writing:At about 9am on Saturday, I took a cab to Bushwick in Brooklyn, a neighborhood which I was not familiar with at all. Some people suggested to arrange for a car to drive me since it might be hard to find a cab back in what was described to me as a sketchy place, but I got in late the night before and hadn’t made the proper plans. My cab driver had no idea how to get there and made me do some tinkering with his malfunctioning GPS device, so I ended up having to call Martin Greenfield Clothiers to ask for driving directions for my cab driver. The guy on the phone didn’t seem to have much patience for this conversation and after the call I still wasn’t confident I’d ever make it to the first custom-suiting experience of my life.I arrived exactly at 10am at the small green awning hanging from an old building which, like most of the other structures on Varet Street, was covered in graffiti on the outside. The neighborhood wasn’t nearly as rough as I had imagined from my referrals, but I still felt kind of lost as I left my cab. Walking through the entrance, I stood at a landing of a thick, oxidized, metal staircase that had a sign attached to make my way to the reception area on the third floor and see the receptionist for help. After following directions, I walked through an unmarked door into a room that can best be described as “old” and definitely contained no receptionist to speak of. I made my way through a small hallway and turned the corner into a room that finally confirmed that I had arrived at a tailor’s workshop. The wood-floored space was covered with rows of racks of tailored clothing in various stages of production and a few work-desks with what appeared to be ancient sewing machines and tons of cloth on top. On the racks I saw suits, tuxedos, outerwear, a row of what looked like a full set of uniforms, all mixed together in a way that was reminiscent of a dry-cleaner’s rack. An older man approached me and nodded his head but kept walking right by me. I didn’t recognize him from the pictures I had seen so I knew it wasn’t Martin Greenfield, but the measuring tape around his neck and his clothing made me fairly certain that it was Dominic, one of the head tailors. I was approached by a second, younger, man who must have noted my confusion and he asked me if he could help. I introduced myself and told him I had a 10am appointment for a fitting. The man offered me a bagel and coffee and then disappeared behind some racks.A few minutes later, I finally saw a familiar face. Wearing a waistcoat and a tie, Martin Greenfield was looking for me from right outside another room filled with clothing racks that would later be described to me as the “the office” and then again as the “changing room.” He came up to me and introduced himself and then asked me if I was interested in purchasing. I panicked for a second and thought maybe I was about to be a victim of the workshop’s policy of not taking new customers without reference and quickly name-dropped a Style Forum member that had graciously allowed me to use his name at the door if I felt it would help. Greenfield smiled and took me to a table where he kept all his cloth samples. He asked me what kind of suit I was thinking of getting at which point I explained to him that this would be my first custom-suiting experience and would like to start with the basics. I handed him a piece of paper with a list of things I had typed up for my first suit and he looked up, smiled, and said to no one in particular “Hey! He brought a list!” I realize now it might not have been the smartest thing to do, but I was assured that Greenfield had been offering a “new” house cut lately that was more along the lines of what I wanted and that they would be fine with some alterations to it. Here is my list:Jacket: 2-buttoned, double-vented, notch lapels about 3 inches wide, pickstitching, buttonhole on left breast lapel, high lapel gorge, soft shoulders, high armholes, waist suppression, 2 flap pockets, 1 ticket pocket, 1 chest pocket.Trousers: flat-front trousers, natural waist rise, no belt loops (button tabs), minimal break with 2” cuffs, extra set of trousers.Greenfield nodded his head with each point and finally admitted that people usually don’t do this sort of thing and prefer to leave it up to him to decide on these issues but that he liked that I knew what I wanted off the bat. As for the cloth, I mentioned that I had been told he had a preference for first-timers: a cashmere/wool blend that was known to be durable and drape very well. He picked up said cloth book and I told him I was looking for solids, either navy or medium gray. He admitted he thought a plain navy was boring and highly recommended a very faint shadow-stripe in the same fabric for the navy and a plain for the medium-gray. I decided on the latter for my suit, to which he responded “OK, he’s getting these two suits!” So I was now getting two suits. I asked how much they were and someone who was later introduced to me as one of his sons said “$1,400 for the suit, $375 for the extra trousers.”The fitting started with Dominic joining us and Martin telling him that I had brought a list, which I’m pretty sure Dominic didn’t care for and didn’t look at once. They agreed that I was to have the “new model” and brought out a ready-made version of it to try on me. Martin picked and prodded, put it back on the rack, and brought out his tape. He started with the chest measurement. “Should be about 39” right?” I asked. He quickly responded that it’s always the guys who work out that know exactly what their chest measurements are cause they’re always double-checking it in the gym. He grabbed me around the bicep and jokingly said I was doing OK, he thought.The upper-body measurements I remember were chest, shoulders (point-to-point), biceps, both arm lengths (he pointed out that my right arm hung lower than my left and that my right shoulder was turned inward a bit more than the left as well) diagonally across the body, waist, half-half waist, and length of torso. Most of the measurements he could call out before applying the tape and he was always spot-on just eyeballing. Dominic wrote down all the measurements and brought the completed jacket off the rack and had me put it on again. I asked about the shoulders (Martin said he had already thought of that) and the armhole, which Martin said he’d bring up a quarter inch, just eyeballing again. He quickly announced that the jacket had to be lengthened 3/4 of an inch and then took it off me. That was that.On to the trousers: I had to go change in the aforementioned door-less room that Martin called his office/dressing room. The walls were covered with newspaper articles on Greenfield and the various celebrities and politicians that he has dressed over the years. Colin Powell, Bill Clinton, etc. etc. I later found out President Obama had just been fitted a few weeks before and would soon start breaking in his own Greenfield suits as well. Martin had me put on a ready-made size 34, even though I wear a 32, because he thought it would look better on my heavy-set legs. He was right. I stepped onto the riser for my measurements and Martin saw my cordovan longwings and quipped to Dominic “Well he certainly doesn’t need shoes!” He took my waist measurements again, my seat, and a basic outseam necessary for the first fitting. Dominic, still ignoring my list, which made me feel a little nervous, asked if I wanted pleats. “No sir,” I said. “OK, so no pleats. Low rise?” Yikes. At this point I realized why so many people had said that these tailors can be “difficult” to deal with and that I had to “impose” my wishes somewhat. In no way are they unfriendly or not trying to listen to the customer. It’s just a reality that they’ve been doing this for 60+ years and they’re not very impressed by the 24-year old with his list of requirements for his very first suit. They’re going to do what looks right to them based on experience and what they’re looking at right in front of them, not based on what you think will look right because you read it on Styleforum. It’s also a reality that both Martin and Dominic are older gentlemen who may miss certain things in conversation/exchanges here and there simply because they may have lost a step in certain ways. It all makes sense, even though it can be a tough pill to swallow when you’re spending $1,750 on each custom suit and you feel you should have full control in a day when “the customer is ALWAYS right” is a law most retailers live and die by.After the fitting, Martin and I chatted for a bit. Where I was in town from (Miami), where I was originally from (Curacao, a small island in the Caribbean); Martin said he’d vacationed there for two weeks some years ago and had loved it and was excited to know his suits would be worn there again soon. At this point, a good amount of people started coming in for the 10:30 appointments so Martin said goodbye to me and told me they’d call me in five weeks. I walked over to pay (no plastic, cheques or cash only) and was given a hand-written carbon-copy receipt and I was on my way.I’m definitely happy with how things went my first time around. Martin was a real gentleman and a class act and made things much easier for me as I was admittedly pretty nervous and awkward. It probably helped that they didn’t ask for my opinion on everything on my list as they clearly know best and I didn’t want to mess things up, though I see how some people could have certain issues at that stage of the process. I know next time I’ll be more comfortable and will have a better idea of how to voice my wishes and manage the fitting process. And hopefully again better the time after that and the time after that, etc. For now, I’ll wait anxiously to see them again in six weeks.

How did this turn out? Curious, As I have to make an appt. for the mtm suit I purchased on Gilt City.

Thanks,

---Ephie

seankarns

Reaction score
I have my own first suit fitting tomorrow morning. Going to get my wedding suit well in advance.

Can anyone tell me if they make MTM shirts as well? I'll find out tomorrow, but just wondering in advance.

If they dont, can anyone recommend a shirt maker in NYC? Preferably Brooklyn or Manhattan and reasonably priced.

Thanks. S.

Doughnuts

Reaction score
Erotic vampire fan-fiction tbh.
rotflmao.gif

An Erotic Vampire Young Adult Novel!
marchal.gif

Is there a difference?
tongue.gif

PS: FranDCG: fantastic write-up!

sasquatch_steve

Reaction score
My understanding is that their suits range from 1100 up. Given that I was originally looking at a FSC MTM suit for 3k, I'd say it's a great deal.

I'll know better tomorrow and report back with my findings.

seankarns

Reaction score
Just got back from my initial fitting. The place is an incredible feast for the eyes.

They absolutely do custom shirting and at very reasonable prices. For the designs I wanted they were $175 each.

I opted for a simple suit of Vitale Barberis Canonico wool super 140s. $1400.

Wonderful experience so far, looking forward to my follow up fitting in April.

cbanoles

Reaction score
A huge thank you to the posters giving us a breakdown of their experience. While I have done MTM several times before, I have become quite curious to try a true Greenfield (rather than his lines with say Brooks Brothers). Is a referral necessary to get in for a fitting? I am in North Florida, and travel to the NYC area on occasion, but don't want to risk being turned away, even after a set appointment is made because of a lack of referrals, etc. Any advice or guidance is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Ennius

Reaction score
That sounds like a good quality suit for $1400. I assume its MTM?

I am interested in both trousers and shirts at this time. I will give them a call and see if they would work with me.

Thanks

Ennius

Reaction score
Any sense how Greenfield compares with Ercole? Or CEGO for shirts?

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Any sense how Greenfield compares with Ercole?  Or CEGO for shirts?

Ercole's is ~60% more in cost but his suits are bespoke vs MG is MTM.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads