• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Martin Greenfield,bespoke tailor-Quality?

Fashionslave

Reaction score
I was admiring a client's blue DB blazer the other day.It had an exceptional cut,cloth,drape,pickstitching,etc.He wore it well.I just knew it was bespoke.I inquired as to who his tailor was,he replied,Martin Greenfield.Where is he located ?Anybody from the Forum ever have any experience with him? What's the good word?Quality,prices?

DandySF

Reaction score
He's something of a rock star among tailors. Brooks Brothers will often have him take measurements in their stores, typically during their made-to-measure events. He was recently in San Francisco at their Post Street store. Evidently he's a gracious and charming gentleman.

Alexander Kabbaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Martin is indeed a gentleman. Shirtmaven can tell you much more. His is one of he better 'makes for stores/tailors' operations, commonly called "CMT" (Cut, Make, Trim) in the trade. As well, I believe he also has a few direct clients who actually go to him. From what I am told, his son(s?) are involved in the business as well and do most of the day-to-day operations. They are located in Brooklyn, N.Y.

lisapop

Reaction score
Greenfield is located in Brooklyn, NY (Varet St?) and operates a clothing manufacturing factory. They do a lot of MTM and ready-made for designers and retailers. I believe they make now for Flusser and made for Holland & Holland when they operated from 57th St. I spoke with Greenfield's son a while ago about their custom capabilities and was told they are offered to individuals on a select basis. I guess you have to know the secret code word to gain entrance. I would not recommend having a custom suit made by any factory, and I certainly don't need to feel they're doing me a favor by making a suit for me.
Grayson

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I believe that Greenfield's business is 100%, or maybe 99%, CMT.  Which is to say, he only takes "walk-ins" at the Brooklyn store from well established customers.  The rest of us have to pay the mark-up at this or that retail outlet.  The best deal by far on a Greenfield suit through another store is at Brooks Brothers.

The quality is very high. Greenfield is one of the few factory operations I know of in the U.S. that can still turn out a hand-padded lapel and chest, though they only do it for certain retail outlets and of course it costs more. The Brooks suits are machine-padded, but the shouders, armholes, and collar are all done by hand.

Clinton's suits were designed by Donna Karan, made in Greenfield's factory.  He handled her MTM program.

drljva

Reaction score
I believe that Greenfield's business is 100%, or maybe 99%, CMT.  Which is to say, he only takes "walk-ins" at the Brooklyn store from well established customers.  The rest of us have to pay the mark-up at this or that retail outlet.  The best deal by far on a Greenfield suit through another store is at Brooks Brothers.

The quality is very high.  Greenfield is one of the few factory operations I know of in the U.S. that can still turn out a hand-padded lapel and chest, though they only do it for certain retail outlets and of course it costs more.  The Brooks suits are machine-padded, but the shouders, armholes, and collar are all done by hand.

Clinton's suits were designed by Donna Karan, made in Greenfield's factory.  He handled her MTM program.
Indeed. MG does a lot of stuff for NM -- for example, overcoats (including their LP Storm System overcoats, which I think are the best things since sliced bread).

otis

Reaction score
The BB trunk show is going on through next week (4/22 I think) where you can get the Greenfield MTM suits starting at about $1100. Best if you can go when Martin is there to measure you though.

I got my first one there last fall and it turned out great. The shoulders are a little stronger than I would like but just my preference. A great value in MTM.

PITAronin

Reaction score
Otis - If I'm remembering correctly, you posted about your exerience with Mr. Greenfield awhile back and that, in turn, prompted me to take the plunge - turning a bundle of accumulated AmEx Membership Rewards points into Brooks gift certificates and treating myself to a MTM measuring session with Mr. Greenfield last month. He is truly delightful and his comments and observations on fit of the the suit I'd worn to the store, minor adjustments on this or that of the proposed suit, various things that weren't exactly symmetrical on my decrepit old body, etc. were a real education. I only hope to be that sharp and to enjoy what I'm doing in my profession nearly as much - when I reach his age - as he obviously does. The suit is targeted for delivery in three to four more weeks and I'm looking forward to that date like a kid at Christmas.

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I will give a little more back story. Martin worked at the famous 3G's clothing factory which had been located on 14th st. in NYC. He was not one of the G's. It wasowned by the Goldman Brothers. They made an excellent and very sharp garmant. Styled for a well dressed jewish and Italian customer base. Louis Roth made the same kind of garment on the west coast. Sold only in the best stores. When they closed, Martin opened up in Brooklyn. I remember shipping fabric orders there when I worked at Roger Laviale in 1981. I remember the conversations my boss had with MArtin. Business was tough and he was always asking for a larger line of credit. The factors did not want to approve the orders. The orders were shipped with out factor approval because my boss had faith in Martin Greenfield and trusted that the bills would be paid. When I first started my clothing business, I used to make suits as well. I had Greenfield make a few suits. It was an excellent garment, but since I did not have a car, I hated schlepping out on the L train to a rather seedy neighborhood to pick up the suits. Thanks to Neiman's, Donna Karen, Brooks, and the old custom shop the factory survived and is still turning out an excellent garment. Carl www.cego.com

otis

Reaction score
PITAronin - yes that was me - glad to hear you took the plunge. You will not be disappointed. What type of suit/fabric did you go with?

Mark Seitelman

Reaction score
Martin Greenfield Clothiers is one of the leading private label manufacturers in the USA. In other words, it manufactures for various stores, and the stores place their label in the garments. Greenfield does not manufacture under its own label.

Alas, Greenfield is the last remaining mens clothing factory of any size in NYC.

It makes RTW and MTM Golden Fleece for Brooks. I understand that the Greenfield MTM is offered at only Brooks's top locations. It also makes clothes for Neiman Marcus on a lesser scale.

Greenfield also makes suits for many custom tailors and boutiques around the country. Some custom tailors openly disclose that their suits are made by Greenfield. There are other custom tailors who keep this a secret.

Brooks makes no secret that its MTM is made by Greenfield. Brooks takes full advantage of Mr. Greenfield as not only a master tailor but a master salesman. Many confirmed Brooks customers turn-out for his trunk shows. Indeed, he is sort of a senior ambassador for Brooks. The Greenfield garment is the star of Brooks as far as I am concerned.

I place the Greenfield garment at the highest level of American manufacture. I would place it second to Oxxford. I place it ahead of Hickey Freeman and Adrian Jules.

Greenfield makes a lovely garment, and I prize the many garments that he has made for me.

Martin Greenfield is the nicest gentleman in the business. To be a customer is a privilege.

Martin's sons, Tod and Jay, are fully involved in the business. Therefore, we will be assured that there will be Martin Greenfield clothes in the future.

Horace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I haven't bought a Southwick suit in about ten years or so (as far as I know, I could've bought from private label stores without knowing it). Though with all my MTM Southwicks, I am very happy. I don't know what Southwick quality is like nowadays, though friends tell me it is very good. To that end then, how would any of you who've seen the final product of both Southwick and Greenfield compare the tangible (and not so tangible) benefits of each?

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Mack

I was getting suits from Greenfield in the early 80's.
NYC was quite different.

You could still score heroin at Ave B and second St.

All of the liquor stores in the east village had bullet proof Glass

Barney's was still at 7th Ave and 17th street. Fred was still alive and the Gene and Bobby Pressman and not ruined the business yet.

The only restaurants on Smith Street in Brooklyn were either spanish or Chinese.

I even had a customer who owned a Appreciation shop on 42nd street. I had to go though the store to the basement to do the fittings.

Carl

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads