• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Martial Arts

TyCooN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gradstudent78
I don't really watch much UFC but is there anyone in particular your thinking of? If your heavy weight or super heavy weight cutting down as slim as you can go isn't necessarily going to help you out.
I remember seeing Chuck Lidell and Anderson Silva with an extra layer of fat over their bellies before.

Gradstudent78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TyCooN
I remember seeing Chuck Lidell and Anderson Silva with an extra layer of fat over their bellies before.

It's probably about what weight class they are fighting.

Here is Anderson Silva weighing in at 205:
http://mmajunkie.com/news/15763/ufc-...ge-gallery.mma

At that weight he probably had to pack on the lbs, if he was looking all ripped he would have been weighing a lot less (look at photos of him where he fought in lower weight classes), giving his opponent a big weight advantage.

At least this is what people do in wrestling to manipulate their weight and what classes they are competing. I assume it's the same for UFC, but someone else might have a better idea. Sometimes it's not about cutting down, but bulking up.

TyCooN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's probably about what weight class they are fighting.

Here is Anderson Silva weighing in at 205:
http://mmajunkie.com/news/15763/ufc-...ge-gallery.mma

At that weight he probably had to pack on the lbs, if he was looking all ripped he would have been weighing a lot less (look at photos of him where he fought in lower weight classes), giving his opponent a big weight advantage.

At least this is what people do in wrestling to manipulate their weight and what classes they are competing. I assume it's the same for UFC, but someone else might have a better idea. Sometimes it's not about cutting down, but bulking up.

so you're saying he gained soem fat since he had to put on so much weight in a limited amount of time?
eh.gif

Gradstudent78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
so you're saying he gained soem fat since he had to put on so much weight in a limited amount of time?
eh.gif

Basically. He may not have needed to cut to be where he was and make weight. What's the point of cutting after a bulk if you really don't need too? He's at 205 and his opponents at 205, if he cut at this point there would really be no point. He has some extra fat, but he is not necessarily deconditioned. Keep in mind Silva won this fight, while Griffin who was looking pretty slim at 205 lost.

Added: In April 2009 Silva was weighing in at 182 and this 205 was in August of 2009.
Here he is looking a lot leaner at 182: http://www.mmafightshop.ca/mmanews/?page=29

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
eh.gif

Most guys are dangerously dehydrated at weigh in.

Most professional MMA fighters walk around between 15-30 lbs over the weight limit, then lean out, and then, finally, do a cut, to make weight. I've heard from a guy in Tyson Girffin's camp (Xtreme Couture) that he walks around at 190 lbs, and he fights at 155. That is an extreme cut, especially at that weight class. Apparently (and I don't know this for a fact), You can't look like a bodybuilder in competition form and expect to do well in the ring/cage, with very few exceptions. My lowest bf ever was 5%, and after a cut at that, to 145, I honestly felt like I was going to faint. My mom could have beat me up. Though, my mom is a tough Chinese woman who could probably take 90% of the guys here.

Anderson Silva walks around at around 210 lbs. To fight at 205, he hardly has to cut at all. He definitely doesn't need to lean out. Really, probably doesn't even need to use the Sauna. I can lose 5 lbs just by running on the treadmill for a while, or playing a game of soccer. So, he is probably at around 10% bf, and is at full strength. A lot of the guys who fight at 205 often cut very little, and lots of heavyweights don't cut at all. There is simply no advantage to it. Anyone who has even cut for a fight will tell you that it is no fun, and that after the weigh in, the first thing you do is drink and eat back to healthy levels. It's a fight, not a beauty contest, and no one has over knocked anyone out using their pecs or by sheer awesomeness of their abs.

Chuck is sort of a wierd exception. He has a straight up beer gut, which you don't see much of, as is Roy Nelson, who has a midnight cheesecake gut. A lot of us (myself included) have some extra weight from eating that midnight cookie (like I am doing right now.) Roy has the gut of a man who eats all the cookies, and then washes that down with an entire cheesecake. There can be no other explanation, because the guy, from all accounts, does lots of cardio, weights, and works out like a madman.

Lyoto Machida, you can tell, also cuts very little. He looks like a regular guy who eats decently, and works out, but isn't big into modern athletic diets. Shogun, likewise, has a small spare tire, which has never stopped him from beating people down.

Smaller heavyweights don't cut at all. Fedor has a substantial spare tire and a fair bit of organ fat. Cain Velasquez, who beat Brock Lesnar like Brock owed him money (which, incidentally, makes him my hero,) could probably cut to 205 pretty easily if he wanted to. But he just pounded the crap out of an action figure, so why would he?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Basically. He may not have needed to cut to be where he was and make weight. What's the point of cutting after a bulk if you really don't need too? He's at 205 and his opponents at 205, if he cut at this point there would really be no point. He has some extra fat, but he is not necessarily deconditioned. Keep in mind Silva won this fight, while Griffin who was looking pretty ripped lost.

Well, I think that Anderson Silva winning had nothing to do with his being bigger, but basically, yeah. If you are morbidly obese, the odds are that you are not going to do great in the ring, unless your name is Roy Nelson, but there's very little correlation between looking like you should be in a men's fitness magazine, and your fight readiness.

Mauro

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^^ nope he's a little guy.

In competitive fighting it's better to be the biggest guy in the lowest weight class possible. it's that simple.

SD1

Reaction score
I studied TKD, Aikido, and Shorin-Ryu.

Aikido was the least physical, witness Steven Seagal's physique, but very practical.

Gradstudent78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've done Wrestling, Aikijutsu/Aikido, Ba gua zhang, a little japanese jujutsu, a little kuntao, Boxing, Muay Thai and some weapons work (Iaido, Jodo, and a little kali/silat related knife work).

Probably enjoyed the Aikijutsu and Ba gua the most out of these, but definitely had the best workout from the Muay Thai and Boxing.

coldarchon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

bbaquiran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I posted that on the awesome gifs thread. Pretty sure it's a lucha libre move.

coldarchon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Mauby

Reaction score
I've done boxing for a number of years, only reason I stopped is it got boring...plus a lot of attitudes/egos to contend with. I guess you'd get that with any martial art. The last few years I've done capoeira. I'd recommend it to anyone in reasonable shape.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mauby
I've done boxing for a number of years, only reason I stopped is it got boring...plus a lot of attitudes/egos to contend with. I guess you'd get that with any martial art. The last few years I've done capoeira. I'd recommend it to anyone in reasonable shape.

where did you box?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads