1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Martegani shoes!

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Nick M, Dec 6, 2004.

1. Nick M

Nick M Senior member

Received my first special order this morning from Ron Rider - or just plain RIDER - over at Franco's Fine Clothier. I wanted a dark brown dress shoe - something relatively sleek, chisel toe and all that - and with medallion detailing on the tip. In the end, I went with the Martegani 'u-wing long wing bal', on the '3B' chisel-toed last, and just asked for whatever Ron could provide in dark brown leather. I also went a half-size down from my usual size, as per everyone's suggestion, and they were right on the mark, as usual - they're a great fit, and I would definitely be getting some heel slippage in my left foot, had I gone with my regular size. They're very much an elongating last... I'm still fuzzy on shoe construction - despite owning the Vass book - so I'll just subtly gloss over that part. [​IMG] Read up on Jcusey's Martegani post of you want the goods... Now, pictures. [​IMG] [​IMG] (Picture links for anyone who can't see the pictures above...) Pic 1 Pic 2 Ron was a pleasure to work with, and I'll definitely be making a few more orders ASAP.

2. Fashionslave

Fashionslave Senior member

Just gorgeous....Stunning... I want a pair... In the 80's ,I recall the Marteganis were THE shoes to have from Louis,Boston.

3. AJL

AJL Senior member

Very nice.

4. bigbadbuff

bigbadbuff Senior member

that's one of the better looking pair of shoes I've ever seen- stunning is right.

price if you don't mind the query?

5. dah328

dah328 Senior member

You can check out Rider's selection of Martegani shoes on the Franco's website. Â I believe he has those listed for $325. Â I have a pair on order and seeing pics of Nick's is not contributing to my patience level. Â [​IMG] dan

6. Nick M

Nick M Senior member

The special order was US$360, less US$50 - Ron offers a discount on the first order of SF/AAAC members - plus US$32 for shipping, because I'm about 4,000 miles away.

Given that the stock shoes are US$325, a US$35 premium to get your shoes exactly how you want them seems like a hell of a bargain to me.

7. jcusey

jcusey Senior member Dubiously Honored

Great looking shoes, Nick.

Ron, is that the same color brown that you used on the U-front model?

8. RIDER

RIDER Senior member

Nick - Happy to hear it. Thanks Again...

Dan - Your shoes are flying from Italy on Friday. As soon as customs clears them after that, I will get them out to you. Sorry for the wait, pushed as much as I can for all the specials.

No, not exactly. Nick's are Rustik, which as you know is one of my favorites. Takes a nice finish, good hand, very durable, tight grain. The new uthroat is Iron. Basically a boarded calf that is antiqued using hot irons. I really like this as well.

9. marc37

marc37 Senior member

Gr8 looking shoes Nick. l've been thinking about doing the same.

10. bigbadbuff

bigbadbuff Senior member

Ron, is that model carried at the Short Pump store? Also, how's the width of the shoe- narrow or snug for a D?

I will definitely have to come by one night this week if they're in stock.

11. RIDER

RIDER Senior member

The model is at SP, but the color was just for Nick. Please come by, I'll show you the stock colors (or check out the site), and show you swatches of what you can make. I'll be there till around 8 each night. Fit has been true, sometimes a little full, depends on the foot.

12. bigbadbuff

bigbadbuff Senior member

13. j

j Senior member Admin

Hopefully they kill it first.

Nick, excellent shoes. Be sure to get us some in-context pics with that famous "I hope this thing works" look.

14. RIDER

RIDER Senior member

I was thinking the same thing [​IMG] .

15. redtree00

redtree00 Senior member

Just got back from a 1 week business trip to my find my special order size 14 Martegani 'u-wing long wing bal', on the '3B' chisel-toed last.
    The shoes are simply beautiful, great fit, awesome detailing and antiquing. Amazing shoes for the money, you would need to spend a lot more to get anything close to this combination of style and quality.
    Ron (RIDER) is a great person to deal with, I will be placing several more shoe orders very soon.
    VERY Highly recommended ..

16. ROT

ROT Senior member

Well, I've got to admit, Mr. Ron Rider at Franco's is a pleasure to work with and really knows his stuff. I went in looking for a brown loafer. After extensive foot measuring, and shoe analysis, he told me that loafers weren't my best bet and that he didn't want to sell me any because they wouldn't fit my foot correctly. Wow. That's service. The result being I now have a pair of splendid, dark brown Martigani shoes on order with him. And a serious resolution to no longer suffer less-than-perfect fit or construction.

17. marc237

marc237 Senior member

To join in the praise of Rider and Martegani, I ordered and received a pair of the 6-eyelet blutcher with floating medallion in brown. (I hope Ron can post a picture or link to one, because I cannot)

Absolutely wonderful shoes and terrific business interaction. If only I did not have a daughter going to college. Although I may, from time to time, believe it is better for me to be well-shod than her to be expensively educated, I may have to wait a bit before I return to well-crafted Italian show well.

18. RIDER

RIDER Senior member

Thanks for the nudge [​IMG] http://www.francos.com/items/item.asp?sku5=27539 Thanks again everyone - it's very gratifying to have these shoes so well received. Ron

19. Baron

Baron Senior member Dubiously Honored

I might as well chime in - just yesterday I received my Martegani chukka boot. Great boot, very comfortable, beautiful styling and construction. And of course Ron was a pleasure to deal with. I have a feeling I'll order more shoes from Ron in the future.

Regards,
    Rob

20. AJL

AJL Senior member

Is this the grained calfskin in what appears to be an acorn or butterscotch type color? Very nice--I've been eyeing those for a while now.