Marshall's contracting out?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by drducky, Sep 2, 2006.

1. drducky

drducky Senior member

As a frequent shopper of discount stores, I have discovered something that I don't really understand. At Marshall's, many decent quality items that have brand labels that are found elsewhere all have the same RN# (59478). Is Marshall's having items made specifically for their stores? For $20, they have decent merino wool sweaters, ties, italian-made fitted dress shirts, etc. Anybody know what gives?

2. Drinkwaters

Drinkwaters Senior member

I believe they have to be because there are not enough retailers to fill their stores with store stock. Most discounters today have product made specifically for their outlets and the specialty brand names that they are able to acquire are what brings the customer into the store.
    For a long period, Filene's Basement stopped buying store stock from retailers such as Louis Boston, Mitchells and the rest until they realized that their products are what brought shopper into the stores. Additionally, they bought the other crap they produced themselves.

Gary

3. drducky

drducky Senior member

good theory.. interesting that many of the items have superior quality to my eye than a lot of the typical discount brands (Nautica/Lauren/Hillfiger/CK/etc.)

4. StevenRocks

StevenRocks Senior member

Stores like Marshalls used to feed off of failing retailers who liquidated excess stock. Now, just about everybody that could fail has failed. Combine that with an ever expanding store base for off-price stores and you've got a potential inventory drought. It wouldn't suprise me if they were having items made for their stores because of this.

5. stach

stach Senior member

A guy at my job used to design for Marshalls.

6. Drinkwaters

A guy at my job used to design for Marshalls.

I have a women who shops my store all the time who works for TJX (They own Marshalls). She buys my sweaters and knitwear to knock off for their in house brand.

Gary

7. A Harris

A Harris Senior member Dubiously Honored

That must be slightly annoying...

8. Drinkwaters

That must be slightly annoying...

I sort of take it as a compliment and it's business! I would be annoyed if she returned them.

Gary