• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

marshalls alert!

oscarthewild

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Along with the plethora of the crappy Cole Haan shoes, there are some of the "wales" mixed in, Â These are MUCH better shoes. Â An example is black monk on ebay another picture black wales monk In addition to the split toes, there are also cap toes. If you turn over the tan/brown shoes, they say "english calf" or "shell cordovan". Both of these are pretty good shoes. These shoes are priced $99, the same as the crappier Cole Haan shoes. The store that I went to did not have the browns in my size (11). So go and look, if you see any cordovans or brown captoes or brown split toes in 11, please let me know. -

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
probably corrected grain. i think the cole-haan site would tell us if it was shell cordovan. then again, the polo site didn't when they were offering it.

i'll keep my eye out for them.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Another Marshalls alert, they had Polo RL cashmere crewneck sweaters on clearance for $60. I picked up a black one for myself, and I might go back and get the other ones in the non-weird colors to flip on ebay. They tend to go for at least 80. FYI.

oscarthewild

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
probably corrected grain.  i think the cole-haan site would tell us if it was shell cordovan.  then again, the polo site didn't when they were offering it.

i'll keep my eye out for them.
Two of these shell cordovan cap toes were on ebay for $299 or something. I think the retail on these was $600 or $700 plus.

Ok find me the size 11s esp. shell cordovans. The person who does that shall be publically heralded in this forum by me.

I think a few years ago, CH had some "shovel" soled shoes that may have been made by artioli.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
if anyone sees shell cordovan size 8s, i'll take em

rlevine

Reaction score
Another Marshalls alert, they had Polo RL cashmere crewneck sweaters on clearance for $60. I picked up a black one for myself, and I might go back and get the other ones in the non-weird colors to flip on ebay. They tend to go for at least 80. FYI.
Are those the regular $400 ones?

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
(j @ Feb. 21 2005,08:58) Another Marshalls alert, they had Polo RL cashmere crewneck sweaters on clearance for $60. I picked up a black one for myself, and I might go back and get the other ones in the non-weird colors to flip on ebay. They tend to go for at least 80. FYI.
Are those the regular $400 ones?
Yes, the $395 MSRP, made in HK, cable knit crewnecks. I like mine a lot, it feels like more durable cashmere than some of the other sweaters I have. If anyone sees one in the pale blue in M or possibly S (I'd have to measure) please let me know.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(NoVaguy @ Feb. 21 2005,08:13) probably corrected grain. Â i think the cole-haan site would tell us if it was shell cordovan. Â then again, the polo site didn't when they were offering it. i'll keep my eye out for them.
Two of these shell cordovan cap toes were on ebay for $299 or something. Â I think the retail on these was $600 or $700 plus. Ok find me the size 11s esp. shell cordovans. Â The person who does that shall be publically heralded in this forum by me. I think a few years ago, CH had some "shovel" soled shoes that may have been made by artioli.
was this something like the wenger or menger wingtip? i've seen them in catalogs, but never in reality. they did look well made, though. I'll check out the local marshalls tomorrow to see if any of this is at my store.

oscarthewild

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If anyone can get the 11 in the english calf too, please let me know.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I've seen the shell cordovan cap-toes, though not at Marshall's. They were definitely shell cordovan, not corrected grain.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
You guys make me nuts. I went to two Marshallses today and neither of them had a single pair of good shoes. Why do my Marshallses suck?

And don't start telling me about the new shipment of PDCs and Diesels..

oscarthewild

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You guys make me nuts. I went to two Marshallses today and neither of them had a single pair of good shoes. Why do my Marshallses suck?

And don't start telling me about the new shipment of PDCs and Diesels..
I have been to 8 marshalls in the last two weeks and only one of them had the better CHs. So it is really hit and mostly miss.

topcatny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(j @ Feb. 21 2005,19:32) You guys make me nuts. I went to two Marshallses today and neither of them had a single pair of good shoes. Why do my Marshallses suck? And don't start telling me about the new shipment of PDCs and Diesels..
I have been to 8 marshalls in the last two weeks and only one of them had the better CHs. Â So it is really hit and mostly miss.
I have been to the 4 Marshall's near my house and haven't found anything decent besides pantherella socks and baby clothes for the last 2 months.

topcatny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Where are the Marshall's in NYC? Can you rank them? Do they seem to carry different merch?
I don't believe there are any Marshall's in Manhattan. (I am not positive though). There are a few in the outer boros. The Marshall's I go to are on long island. There is a TJ Maxx (TJ Maxx and Marshall's are owned by the same company and bought for by the same buyers) on 6th Ave and 19th Street. They tend to carry a wide variety of merchandise. I have seen a few Isaia suits occasionally and some RLPL merchandise but overall not much quality merchandise.

Marshall's typically has a better men's selection and they carry men's shoes, which TJ Maxx does not (at least in men's). Of the 4 Marshall's near my house (all are within 10 minutes), the merch varies widely. One is a Mega Marshalls and has a lot more inventory. The one closest to my house is fairly small but often has some good quality merch. Of the other 2, 1 is horrible, terribly run down and very rarely has anything good. I go in there if I am near that shopping center (incidentally there is a TJ Maxx across the street that happens to be quite good) and the last one is very hit and miss, but it tends to have the best selection of men's shoes of all 4 of them.

I think for better merchandise Filene's Basement is the best bet.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads