• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Marrying Woman with Many Siblings

Pantisocrat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really can't stand my GF's family. She has 7 siblings and it feels like our relationship revolves around her big family. The only time we have time together is the weekend, and even then there's the big brother coming over to borrow my tools, the the broke ass little brother coming over to "pass" the weekend, and not to mention the numerous driving duties and financial obligations I have hitherto committed to make her happy by yielding to her siblings' wishes. I am just so damn depressed about it all. How big of a factor does in-laws play in your relationship? Is it worth it in the long-run? I think at this point if a woman tells me she's an only child or has no more than 1 sibling I could definitely see something serious down the road. My current GF is a sweetheart but damn she has way too many brothers.

Dashaansafin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I dont know why you have to give into your in law's demands..?

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think this is a major thing to consider before you get married. I am very conscious of it because my best friend is an indian woman, and she's always got family **** going on. It would drive me absolutely insane. And this isn't even immediate family, but weddings of 2nd cousins and all sorts of other crap. But really, if she's close to her family and wants to see them all the time, are you really gonna tell her no?

Now, if it's just random brothers coming over to mooch all the time, i'd say you could draw a line. She's still only your GF though so get it sorted before it gets too serious.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
this isn't going to change.

Pantisocrat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not if they're shameless about their behaviors. I've told them repeatedly to phone ahead of time, but they'd just show up in the middle of the day.

Originally Posted by Dashaansafin
I dont know why you have to give into your in law's demands..?

imschatz

Reaction score
Look for a job that's a solid hour or two from the in-laws?

Short enough that regular (but planned) visits can be made, but far enough that they don't become an interruption.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imschatz
Look for a job that's a solid hour or two from the in-laws?

Short enough that regular (but planned) visits can be made, but far enough that they don't become an interruption.

I live 6 hours from my mother in law, and she makes my life hell

imschatz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
I live 6 hours from my mother in law, and she makes my life hell
Would it be better or worse if you lived 20 minutes from her?

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imschatz
Would it be better or worse if you lived 20 minutes from her?

worse, I used to live 20 minutes from her.

badsha

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
this isn't going to change.
My wife has 6 siblings, but they dont pull that **** with me, because they are not like that, thank god. She's also the youngest. I have to attend a lot of events, esp. weddings. But her family is pretty cool, so I dont mind. It will only get worse over time. You're gonna have to put your foot down. It also depends on how your gf is, do you tell her how it makes you feel?

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
nothing much you could really do about it unless she agrees to cut them off emotionally, that family guilt thing of having to accommodate family members was ingrained all her life.

Barnabus

Reaction score
Tell her about it. If she does not understand leave her. You're dating her not her family so if shes doesn't understand her family is being pain ********** moochers then step out of the way so some other guy has can put up with it.
ffffuuuu.gif

scientific

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
are you really located in south africa? if so this makes more sense. it's really rare to have that tight a family in the US.

i am not at that phase in a relationship yet, but growing up my family had deadbeats and moochers on both sides and it definitely did not help my parents stay together. (they didn't.)

if you don't put your foot down, they will continue to take advantage of you. however, if you do, think of what you're asking your fiancee to give up. like i said, a close family is rare these days.

you can't get advice from people in the US on this

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads