• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Marrying rich.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by beasty
In actual fact, while its fun to fantasize about marrying rich, the fact is the social background, social circles and ideology is so different.

How do a regular joe associate with a girl who's dad has a helicopter and pilot to chauffeur him around, who spends her holidays in places that cost more than what his family earns in a year and mixes with people one reads in society pages.

Would the regular joe have anything in common to talk to her about?

I could not disagree more with this post. It assumes the worst of both people with money and people without. I know too many people in this situation too well to give much creedence to this kind of theory.

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
Teach me your ways, O Master.

I suspect you're sarcastic, but meeting her was a total fluke, one of those planetary alignment things. A bunch of law students always hang out at this dingy dive bar called O'Maddy's. This unbelievably hot girl walks in, the whole bar gawks. A friend soon points out to me that she was apparently not "with" the guy she came with, I derisively replied that who the **** cares like any of us will go up and talk to her anyway. She wound up eventually coming up and talking to me. Unbelievably lucky, and being seen out with her a lot when we dated has kicked me up a few notches in the local food chain and paved the way from here on out.

And FWIW, styleforum-wise, I was not exactly dressed up - red Speaker City shirt (like they wear in Old School, khaki cargo shorts and flipflops.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Journeyman
F. Scott Fitzpatrick wrote, "The rich are different from you and I"
+1 (Although I'd still like to find a rich girlfriend who simply loves to lavish gifts on her boytoy!)

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by My grandmother
If you marry for the money, and only for the money, you will be made to deserve every penny.
...or something like that. Wise woman.

Nantucket Red

"Mr. Fashionista"
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
One my relatives in another generation had a daily routine of trips to the spa then some time at the teahouse. Afterwards, it was back to bed for some opium and then maybe some small accounting details.

He had an extremely large parcel of land in the country which provided him with income--this was in Shanghai during the '30s and '40s.

My uncle Waldo had his own office in NYC with his name on the door and commuted every day into the city, but no one ever knew what he did. It turns out he had the daily papers delivered and sat and read them all day every day for years; never worked a day in his life.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nantucket Red
My uncle Waldo had his own office in NYC with his name on the door and commuted every day into the city, but no one ever knew what he did. It turns out he had the daily papers delivered and sat and read them all day every day for years; never worked a day in his life.

How fantastic; it also reminds me of a great-uncle who like all his other siblings owned a steel factory, and eventually he died at age 45 at his mistress's house.

modsquad

Reaction score
I saw a remark from someone one time who recounted some advice he got from an older relative. It was, in essence, always marry for money. His point was that marriage is no impediment to sex with hot women but ready sources of ****-you cash are much harder to come by.

The very famous article in Fortune magazine lo these many years ago in which Julie Campbell coined the term trophy wife had a very illuminating sidebar on men who wanted to nail down rich women. Here is what I remember from it: 1) Live where they live, no matter how tiny your place is. The broom closet on the Upper East Side or in Tribeca is worth it. 2) Pick a fight with her every six weeks. 3) When she buys you an expensive present, look puzzled or quizzical, turn away, stare off into the middle distance for a while, turn back to her, beam and say "you're wonderful." There were other tips but that's all I recall.

Happy hunting.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
One my relatives in another generation had a daily routine of trips to the spa then some time at the teahouse. Afterwards, it was back to bed for some opium and then maybe some small accounting details. He had an extremely large parcel of land in the country which provided him with income--this was in Shanghai during the '30s and '40s.
well thats pretty much my life now.

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How fantastic; it also reminds me of a great-uncle who like all his other siblings owned a steel factory, and eventually he died at age 45 at his mistress's house.

Same goes for recently (2004) deceased Laurance Rockefeller. It was officially reported that he died from a heart attack while working late at his NYC office. He was 94.
As it turns out he died in a process of banging his secretary. Clinton can only dream of death like this.

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dkzzzz
Same goes for recently (2004) deceased Laurance Rockefeller. It was officially reported that he died from a heart attack while working late at his NYC office. He was 94.
As it turns out he died in a process of banging his secretary. Clinton can only dream of death like this.

That's how Nelson went out, as well....
confused.gif

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dkzzzz

No, Laurance died in his sleep of pulmonary fibrosis. It was Nelson, at age 70, who went out w/ a bang.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
IIRC Nelson's widow was named "Happy".

Ironic.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads