Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Marrying rich.

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Connemara, Jul 19, 2007.

1. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

I assume someday someone will say this of my wife: "Of course she married [dopey] for the money. I wouldn't respect her if she hadn't. Only a twisted person would have married him for love."

2. Jared

Jared Senior member

I sometimes think of one of ernest's arguments, which sort of had a point -- that it's not your job that makes you a human being. I imagine you can find self-realization in a whole lot of other things.
    Your job doesn't make you a human being, but it does determine whether you wear brown? [​IMG]

3. Connemara

Connemara [URL='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jST2Sv63WQ']

I wonder what cities contain the highest concentration of rich young debutantes?

I'd put my money on (in no particular order):

NYC
    D.C.
    L.A.
    Boston
    Atlanta (?)
    Dallas or Houston, don't know enough about either to say.

4. dkzzzz

dkzzzz Senior member

Vienna during Viennese ball season.

5. Edward Appleby

Edward Appleby Senior member

Dallas or Houston, don't know enough about either to say.

Dallas girls are hotter because they care more, but there's probably more money in Houston. Particularly right now.

6. eg1

eg1 Senior member

I thought I read somewhere that studies show the most contented couples are those whose backgrounds are most similar. [​IMG]

7. RJman

RJman Posse Member Dubiously Honored

I thought I read somewhere that studies show the most contented couples are those whose backgrounds are most similar. [​IMG]
    That's why Ed and GQGeek, with their shared backgrounds of deserted loading docks, sleazy bathhouses and the thing with the tub under the overpass, are meant for each other.

8. FLMountainMan

FLMountainMan White Hispanic

I dated a woman far, far wealthier (I drove a 1995 wrangler, she drove a brand new 745) than me for a while (I say with a little weird, misguided pride that the next guy she dumped has appeared in a MLB Allstar Game). I certainly didn't mind the unsolicited gifts, trips to her family's villa in Spain - I would've married her if things worked out. She was surprisingly grateful for what she had and really really nice. Alas, things did not pan out. I've dated a few other wealthy chicks (all but one of whose wealth is from their parents)

It does introduce a weird dynamic - they really don't need a guy to provide, yet are still programmed to seek out a provider. So, in my experience, as long as you try to be ambitious and make money, you'll do alright. The con - you'll never make as much money as Daddy did for her, and your gifts have to be extra creative - you can't just throw money at her.

Sorry for the slightly misogynistic tone.

9. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

That's why Ed and GQGeek, with their shared backgrounds of deserted loading docks, sleazy bathhouses and the thing with the tub under the overpass, are meant for each other.

keep me out of your fantasies. kthxbye!

10. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

Every day a little more gay.

11. RJman

RJman Posse Member Dubiously Honored

Ah, who can forget Augusto86's classic portrait of the two of you...
    You know, I think there are appropriate pics for everyone here...
    edmorel & GQGeek:
    [​IMG]

12. Connemara

Connemara [URL='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jST2Sv63WQ']

I dated a woman far, far wealthier (I drove a 1995 wrangler, she drove a brand new 745) than me for a while (I say with a little weird, misguided pride that the next guy she dumped has appeared in a MLB Allstar Game). I certainly didn't mind the unsolicited gifts, trips to her family's villa in Spain - I would've married her if things worked out. She was surprisingly grateful for what she had and really really nice. Alas, things did not pan out. I've dated a few other wealthy chicks (all but one of whose wealth is from their parents) It does introduce a weird dynamic - they really don't need a guy to provide, yet are still programmed to seek out a provider. So, in my experience, as long as you try to be ambitious and make money, you'll do alright. The con - you'll never make as much money as Daddy did for her, and your gifts have to be extra creative - you can't just throw money at her. Sorry for the slightly misogynistic tone.
    Teach me your ways, O Master.

13. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

Every day a little more gay.

go smoke pipe.

14. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Rich who?
    [​IMG]

15. GoSurface

GoSurface Senior member

Why not.

When I had dinner with this pretty prolific artist, she told me to marry a doctor or a lawyer, so that I would be free to pursue the art stuff. Which is what she did, now she makes waaaaaaay more money than he does.