1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Marrying rich.

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Connemara, Jul 19, 2007.

1. eg1

eg1 Well-Known Member

I thought I read somewhere that studies show the most contented couples are those whose backgrounds are most similar. [​IMG]

2. RJman

RJman Well-Known Member

I thought I read somewhere that studies show the most contented couples are those whose backgrounds are most similar. [​IMG]
    That's why Ed and GQGeek, with their shared backgrounds of deserted loading docks, sleazy bathhouses and the thing with the tub under the overpass, are meant for each other.

3. FLMountainMan

FLMountainMan Well-Known Member

I dated a woman far, far wealthier (I drove a 1995 wrangler, she drove a brand new 745) than me for a while (I say with a little weird, misguided pride that the next guy she dumped has appeared in a MLB Allstar Game). I certainly didn't mind the unsolicited gifts, trips to her family's villa in Spain - I would've married her if things worked out. She was surprisingly grateful for what she had and really really nice. Alas, things did not pan out. I've dated a few other wealthy chicks (all but one of whose wealth is from their parents)

It does introduce a weird dynamic - they really don't need a guy to provide, yet are still programmed to seek out a provider. So, in my experience, as long as you try to be ambitious and make money, you'll do alright. The con - you'll never make as much money as Daddy did for her, and your gifts have to be extra creative - you can't just throw money at her.

Sorry for the slightly misogynistic tone.

4. GQgeek

GQgeek Well-Known Member

That's why Ed and GQGeek, with their shared backgrounds of deserted loading docks, sleazy bathhouses and the thing with the tub under the overpass, are meant for each other.

keep me out of your fantasies. kthxbye!

5. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Well-Known Member

Every day a little more gay.

6. RJman

RJman Well-Known Member

Ah, who can forget Augusto86's classic portrait of the two of you...
    You know, I think there are appropriate pics for everyone here...
    edmorel & GQGeek:
    [​IMG]

7. Connemara

Connemara Well-Known Member

I dated a woman far, far wealthier (I drove a 1995 wrangler, she drove a brand new 745) than me for a while (I say with a little weird, misguided pride that the next guy she dumped has appeared in a MLB Allstar Game). I certainly didn't mind the unsolicited gifts, trips to her family's villa in Spain - I would've married her if things worked out. She was surprisingly grateful for what she had and really really nice. Alas, things did not pan out. I've dated a few other wealthy chicks (all but one of whose wealth is from their parents) It does introduce a weird dynamic - they really don't need a guy to provide, yet are still programmed to seek out a provider. So, in my experience, as long as you try to be ambitious and make money, you'll do alright. The con - you'll never make as much money as Daddy did for her, and your gifts have to be extra creative - you can't just throw money at her. Sorry for the slightly misogynistic tone.
    Teach me your ways, O Master.

8. GQgeek

GQgeek Well-Known Member

Every day a little more gay.

go smoke pipe.

9. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Well-Known Member

10. GoSurface

GoSurface Well-Known Member

Why not.

When I had dinner with this pretty prolific artist, she told me to marry a doctor or a lawyer, so that I would be free to pursue the art stuff. Which is what she did, now she makes waaaaaaay more money than he does.

11. GoSurface

GoSurface Well-Known Member

Rich who?
    [​IMG]

Oh you.

12. LabelKing

LabelKing Well-Known Member

Folks here talk about being lazy as if it comes easily and naturally to everyone. Let me tell you: "To be lazy or to do nothing requires a great deal of discipline".
    One my relatives in another generation had a daily routine of trips to the spa then some time at the teahouse. Afterwards, it was back to bed for some opium and then maybe some small accounting details. He had an extremely large parcel of land in the country which provided him with income--this was in Shanghai during the '30s and '40s.

13. Augustus Medici

Augustus Medici Well-Known Member

I'm not married to my girl, but we've been seeing each other for quite some time now. She isn't significantly wealthier than me, but she definitely has more money. I've never really asked for details, but I think she makes maybe 1.5-2 x my salary. The upside is that she pays for most incidental things (meals at restaurants, movie tickets, etc.) and buys me stuff like shirts and jackets once in a while. The downside is that she expects slightly nicer (ie. pricier) gifts from me than would be normal. Probably the oddest part of the whole thing is that there are fewer "special occasions." She'll drink champagne or a nice wine just for the hell of it instead of saving the bottle for a certain event because she can just buy more. Maybe the biggest downside is that she'll overpay on stuff or want me to buy something she thinks is reasonably priced (but isn't in my IMO). It's also a little emasculating sometimes.

But I got over it [​IMG]

14. The False Prophet

The False Prophet Well-Known Member

Massive difference between marrying a wealthy professional (banker, corporate lawyer) and marrying someone with inherited wealth.

I am probably going to be one of the former (at least comapratively wealthy as against the average joe), and would be happy marrying same, but probably not the latter. I was nearly involved once with a girl who came from not insignificant money, and while she was absolutely lovely and responsible and not ostentatious or vulgar, she just didn't *understand* me in some ways.

She was very bright and capable, and I'm sure she'll be successful in her own right. That still doesn't change things though. We sort of parted ways when she suggested I spend some time with her in France, and while I'd have liked nothing better, I had no obvious means of funding such an adventure...

15. itsstillmatt

I think that a distinction needs to be made between inherited wealth (like 50-100 mil) and what Conne was talking about which amounts to a fair sized trust fund.

I am already married, so I have no opinion.

16. texas_jack

texas_jack Well-Known Member

I think that a distinction needs to be made between inherited wealth (like 50-100 mil) and what Conne was talking about which amounts to a fair sized trust fund.

Maybe we should ask your wife.

17. Connemara

Yeah, I guess so.

IMO, anything $10 million+ is pretty damn rich. No one really needs like $20 billion to lead a good life.

18. itsstillmatt

Maybe we should ask your wife.
    She has mentioned that she would like to marry up.

19. Connemara

She has mentioned that she would like to marry up.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

20. Toiletduck

Toiletduck Well-Known Member

Money didn't really matter as much in high school as much as after college when the chicks really start hunting and their prioirities change. You definitely see some eyes light up on encounter of money. However, haven't had many weddings to go to yet.