1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was. I'd like to keep you abreast of the improvements we've made over the past few days.
    @notification emails have been added, in response to user requests

Attached images are now Full Size by default

Users are now all allowed three (3) links in their signature files,

SSL certification is now in place so you can all browse securely.

The server has been reconfigured so that site speeds will improve.

Notice: Right now the site is slow because we are fixing all the images from the past 4 months. Many of you noticed that these were missing, and we are fixing that problem now. Unfortunately, it is taking up a lot of resources and causing the site to be slow.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Married SFers: How much did your wedding cost?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Fraiche, Dec 29, 2010.

1. SField

SField Well-Known Member

My wife brought a lot of business to this hotel through the years, so they treated us very well. The suite was something ridiculous like $350 a night.

You mean 350 AFTER the discount, right?

Can you even get a room at the Marriott in NYC for 350?

2. Johdus Fanfoozal

Johdus Fanfoozal Well-Known Member

You mean 350 AFTER the discount, right?

Can you even get a room at the Marriott in NYC for 350?

Yes, after the discount.

Four star hotel. Small chain. It would've been $900 a night - 800 sq ft., one bedroom, bar, etc. - which is still low because it was Memorial Day Weekend.

3. SField

SField Well-Known Member

Yes, after the discount. Four star hotel. Small chain. It would've been $900 a night - 800 sq ft., one bedroom, bar, etc. - which is still low because it was Memorial Day Weekend.
    You guys did very well. 25k in NYC for that kind of wedding is extremely respectable. It's great that you did it all yourself and don't feel as if you skimped at all. If my girlfriend hadn't worked for catalogues that contained designer wedding dresses, and didn't have it for free, I'd have a massive problem paying for a dress she'd wear once (even though I'm not paying.) Luckily she saved a dress a few years back that she wanted to wear when she got married. I'm just worried about a few of her Russian relatives... they tend to act like pigs and where we're going, they really, really hate rich russians.

4. gdl203

gdl203 Well-Known Member

You guys did very well. 25k in NYC for that kind of wedding is extremely respectable.
    It's not "respectable" - it's downright impossible without all the connections and special discounts. It's awesome to be able to work connections and friends to get a good deal for something of that ticket size. Sadly, I only seem to be able to get discounts on a tie or a pair of jeans [​IMG]

5. SField

SField Well-Known Member

It's not "respectable" - it's downright impossible without all the connections and special discounts. It's awesome to be able to work connections and friends to get a good deal for something of that ticket size. Sadly, I only seem to be able to get discounts on a tie or a pair of jeans [​IMG]

Yeah you're right. I do know that it's a low sum but not having done events in NYC I don't know first hand just how low it really is.

6. jonnyt

jonnyt Well-Known Member

I spent about $25k on ours two years ago, split between our savings and both sets of parents.
    Best day of my life bar none.
    Mainly led by what the missus wanted to do with a bit of my input.
    Came off like a $50k do because we scrimped wherever we could get away with it; e.g. Food cooked offsite, delivered to marquee and reheated, half the price of cooked on site dinner but none of the guests would know or care. And hiring a digital jukebox with pretty much every song ever on it and letting the guests loose, rather than hiring a band. Cost $300 rather than $3000 and the guests absolutely loved it.
    You'll have all your favourite people together, celebrating you, in one place exactly twice ever. The second time you'll have just died. Suck it up and give her the day she's been dreaming about for at least two decades before she even met you...

7. Johdus Fanfoozal

Johdus Fanfoozal Well-Known Member

A few places where I would advise folks to save money:

1. Hire only one photographer. A lot of places push two "so we don't miss a thing." But if the guy is halfway decent, you should get everything you need from one.

2. Skip the videographer. We had a few guests who brought their HD recorders and filmed our ceremony. We still haven't looked at them even though we appreciate the gesture.

3. Don't hire an MC. A lot of places will push an MC along with a DJ. It's completely unnecessary. Doesn't take much off an effort for a dude who is pushing buttons on his laptop to also introduce the wedding party.

4. Invitations cost a hella lot of money. If you have a decent printer at home, use it. There are plenty of cheap software programs that can design a great invitation for you.

5. Two entree choices are enough so long as the place offers a vegetarian/special diet option at no additional cost for the few who may request it. Most people eat their faces off at the cocktail reception anyway.

6. Don't invite kids.

8. commodorewheeler

commodorewheeler Well-Known Member

Gents - I am about to go down this path and trying to forecast the budget realistically. GF wants to spend about $30K and I'm trying to talk her down to $20K ($25K max) as I would rather put the money on a downpayment for a home. Is this a realistic cost for about 100-120 people?
    We had a budget of $20,000 and ended up spending $30,000. If you do the same, maybe both of you are happy? In all seriousness, looking back, I don't lose sleep over that extra $10,000 that we spent. It costs a lot of money to put on any kind of event like that, and there will always be unexpected things that come that aren't budgeted for. Plus it was a really great day, you'll want to remember it that way, not fighting over $10,000.

9. deadly7

deadly7 Well-Known Member

We had a budget of $20,000 and ended up spending $30,000. If you do the same, maybe both of you are happy?

In all seriousness, looking back, I don't lose sleep over that extra $10,000 that we spent. It costs a lot of money to put on any kind of event like that, and there will always be unexpected things that come that aren't budgeted for. Plus it was a really great day, you'll want to remember it that way, not fighting over $10,000.

10 years down the road you may see 10k as a drop in the bucket, but in the short-run after that you will find many places that 10k could have gone. Especially if OP is looking into housing as well.

10. EnglishGent

EnglishGent Well-Known Member

Got married at 19, spent $60 and it was enjoyed by the few close friends that came, we stayed married for 10 years. Two weeks after our wedding we went to a wedding that cost $60,000, it was a disaster and they were divorcing within a year.

Definitely not a likely situation for most people, but certainly shows that the cost of the wedding is not what counts.

11. Big T

Big T Well-Known Member

Married off one daughter in 2009. Local Country Club and the bill was near $50,000. I paid for everything except the groom's parents insisted on picking up the liquor tab (included in the 50k) and limos to to transport to and from the wedding. My portion still was around 35K. Dress was a bit more than 5K.

Have another daughter getting married in 2011. This wedding will be held outside and I estimate it will cost just under 30K.

12. XeF4

XeF4 Well-Known Member

careful what you wish for my friend....

13. TM79

TM79 Well-Known Member

A few places where I would advise folks to save money:

1. Hire only one photographer. A lot of places push two "so we don't miss a thing." But if the guy is halfway decent, you should get everything you need from one.

2. Skip the videographer. We had a few guests who brought their HD recorders and filmed our ceremony. We still haven't looked at them even though we appreciate the gesture.

3. Don't hire an MC. A lot of places will push an MC along with a DJ. It's completely unnecessary. Doesn't take much off an effort for a dude who is pushing buttons on his laptop to also introduce the wedding party.

4. Invitations cost a hella lot of money. If you have a decent printer at home, use it. There are plenty of cheap software programs that can design a great invitation for you.

5. Two entree choices are enough so long as the place offers a vegetarian/special diet option at no additional cost for the few who may request it. Most people eat their faces off at the cocktail reception anyway.

6. Don't invite kids.

All of these are excellent suggestions and things I did to save a lot of money.

Mine came out to about $24,000 for 125 people. Families paid for it. I would have rather eloped and had no one spend a dime on us...

14. deadly7

Married off one daughter in 2009.

Couldn't find anyone to take her otherwise eh? *nudge nudge*

I tease, I tease. You're on the opposite side of things as a parent, and from the sounds of it well off. What about your own marriage?

15. Matt

Matt Well-Known Member

Can someone explain the appeal of a big wedding to me? I REALLY don't get it. Wtf would i want to spend all that money on people I never see and that I wouldn't miss if they were dead?

it's not about what you get and what you want. It's about what she gets and what she's willing to put you through if she doesn't get it.

16. deadly7

It's about what she gets and what she's willing to put you through if she doesn't get it.

You guys have got to stop marrying complete fucking whackjobs.

17. Matt

Matt Well-Known Member

waitwut. I'm married? I think I need to check the Purseforum for an appropriate smiley to convey my current state.

18. deadly7

waitwut. I'm married?

I think I need to check the Purseforum for an appropriate smiley to convey my current state.

Not you, I meant in general. Your post kinda sums up a lot of the other ones in this thread and it made me [​IMG]

19. Matt

Matt Well-Known Member

Not you, I meant in general. Your post kinda sums up a lot of the other ones in this thread and it made me [​IMG]
    oh. Well in that case I will use this one: [​IMG]

20. rjakapeanut

rjakapeanut Well-Known Member

i agree, man. you guys are getting married to idiots just to get married. you shouldn't get married to anyone that materialistic.

i know for damn sure i'd only marry a girl who used a common sense approach to this kind of stuff. you guys are just settling. it's real dumb, but it explains the 70% divorce rate.