• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Married SFers: How much did your wedding cost?

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mad Hatter
Because maybe your wife has her own opinion that you should value when it comes to how you live the rest of your lives.

i have no idea what this means

tj100

Reaction score
We got married at City Hall and had a small gathering of friends and family after, because getting married was all we cared about. Not some overpriced party.

Now that I think about it, I actually paid for the wedding. $250 to the justice of the peace.

It was the reception that got a little out of hand.

Mad Hatter

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gomestar
i have no idea what this means

And this is why I will be married to her for the rest of my life and most of you will be divorced.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gomestar
I meant I hate your writing style.

His writing is Pullitzer-prize winning compared to his logic.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan

I was unaware that any logic had been attempted in the first place, so I ignored this fact.

Mad Hatter

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan

It's logic you don't agree with, but others here clearly do. Read more than your own posts over and over again.

CouttsClient

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We got married at City Hall and had a small gathering of friends and family after, because getting married was all we cared about. Not some overpriced party.

Sounds rather uneventful but whatever you like is fine by me. I don't understand your inability to understand that some people (not you) really enjoy using their money for things like parties, and fancy diamond rings because it will bring joy to someone who enjoys parties and diamond rings.

You are neither better or worse because you don't enjoy those things.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
And this is why I will be married to her for the rest of my life and most of you will be divorced.

being married to somebody who agrees with you isn't what makes a marriage last a long time. being able to compromise and do things that you don't want to do is what makes marriages last a long time.

CouttsClient

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Would you like a prize? The fact that you spent basically nothing to mark the day you married your wife doesn't mean you will be married forever.

Mad Hatter

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CouttsClient
Sounds rather uneventful but whatever you like is fine by me. I don't understand your inability to understand that some people (not you) really enjoy using their money for things like parties, and fancy diamond rings because it will bring joy to someone who enjoys parties and diamond rings.

You are neither better or worse because you don't enjoy those things.

I never said I don't understand, but clearly the general consensus is that 100K+ for a wedding is crazy. People even think expensive celebrity weddings are stupid. But people do it and are very happy with spending that kind of money.

The problem is that I think you are missing my point. My wife and I didn't care about anything "eventful". Even though we could afford a big wedding, we just wanted to be husband and wife ASAP and go on with our happy life together. My wife doesn't care about Cinderella weddings and fancy diamond rings. She has way more substance than that.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
you hear that guys? Couples who make an effort to have a larger wedding have no substance.

Mad Hatter

Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
being married to somebody who agrees with you isn't what makes a marriage last a long time. being able to compromise and do things that you don't want to do is what makes marriages last a long time.

Read this again:

My wife and I talk about everything and make decisions together no matter how big or small. This is all about compromise. I don't control our lives like you do with your wife.

Mad Hatter

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CouttsClient
Would you like a prize?

The fact that you spent basically nothing to mark the day you married your wife doesn't mean you will be married forever.

The 20 year old said something that you should listen to:

I am saying that if you can only afford X out of pocket and your girl is demanding Y, you may have more trouble down the road than you're bargaining for.

Fact.

My wife doesn't give a **** about big weddings and fancy diamonds, but cleary the ones defending big weddings and fancy diamonds are only doing so, because they are marrying a woman that finds those things to be vastly important for some reason. Because if your wife was fine with a small wedding, you would happily have a small wedding.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Read this again:

My wife and I talk about everything and make decisions together no matter how big or small. This is all about compromise. I don't control our lives like you do with your wife.

I know that you are typing something, but all I see is "blah blah blah"

look, you have your way of doing things. other people have other ways. I don't control my wife's life, but the way things work out is that most major decisions get made by me - my wife has a PhD and has had very responsible positions in life, but for the most part choices around our lives end up being led by me. that is the way the relationship between men and women has been for all of recorded history, and probably all of pre-history as well. again, when you ask the difference between the men and the boys, that is going to be at the top of the list.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads