Marquis Philips wines

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by cuffthis, Feb 5, 2005.

1. cuffthis

cuffthis Senior member

I have become a big fan of these Australian wines, made by Sarah and Sparky Marquis and imported by Dan Philip's company, the Grateful Palate.

I first tried them after reading RP's glowing reviews of them. I purchased them from Carolina Wine Company.

For in your face, up front, New World fruit bombs, these are perfect. Some are a little too bold for some foods but, man, are they tasty.

At prices starting at $13 for the shiraz, merlot and cab bottlings, to slightly higher prices for Sarah's Blend, the S2 cab, S9 shiraz and the $100 Integrity shiraz (which I have not yet opened), IMHO, these are some of the market's best values in fruit forward aussie wines.

Sarah and Sparky Marquis also make Henry's Drive Shiraz. Don't miss this $25 bottle if you can find it. Heavenly, with pure blackberry and cassis flavors. Stunning.

Damn, writing this is making me thirsty for a glass. Too bad it's 10am on a Saturday and I'm at work.

2. kabert

kabert Senior member

I like M-P wines too, for what they are (as you accurately described them) -- in your face, fruit bombs. I don't think they go well with most foods, except casual pizza/pasta. They are great for casual drinking though while watching a movie or for when friends come over. The wine is so tasty that non-wine geeks love it too. I think my favorite of the bunch is the S2, a cabernet blend (though I've never had any of Phillips' high-end wines).

3. cuffthis

cuffthis Senior member

Kabert,

In a perfect world, I would have 4-5 courses each nite with my dinner. But my world's not perfect and I often have just wine and cheese for dinner some nights after working late.

And fruit forward wines like these are just what the wine doctor ordered (at least for me)

Tom

4. kabert

kabert Senior member

"Just what the doctor ordered" -- Agreed. After a long day at work, most days something fruit-forward and tasty is just what I'm looking for.

5. tiger02

tiger02 Militarist

Hey. You stole my sig. [​IMG] Tom

6. Zubberah

Zubberah Senior member

Here in Australia, where they are NOT distributed or sold, they are frowned upon. Personally, I have found them undrinkable. I'm not exaggerating when I say undrinkable. Each to their own i suppose. Couldn't even finish a half glass of the s9 Shiraz. To me, and my wine friends, the "wine" is an over-extracted abomination. The US can have the lot of them.

7. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

Is d'arenberg or penfolds big in Australia?

8. cuffthis

cuffthis Senior member

Babychickpea, tell us what you drink in Australia?

9. Zubberah

Zubberah Senior member

Penfolds is one of the top 5 brands in Australia and is ubiquitous.

D'Arenberg is also very popular.

10. Zubberah

Zubberah Senior member

Here in Australia, where they are NOT distributed or sold, they are frowned upon. Personally, I have found them undrinkable. I'm not exaggerating when I say undrinkable. Each to their own i suppose. Couldn't even finish a half glass of the s9 Shiraz. To me, and my wine friends, the "wine" is an over-extracted abomination. The US can have the lot of them.
    Babychickpea, tell us what you drink in Australia?
    Me personally? Limiting myself to Aussie brands: Leeuwin Estate Art Chardonnay, Giaconda, Mount Mary, Torbreck, Noon, Rockford Black Shiraz and Basket Press, Grosset polish hill riesling, Majella, Kay Bros, Moss Wood cabernet, Cullen Diana Madeleine, Henschke Hill of Grace and Cyril (pre 1998), Wild Duck Creek, Bass Phillip, Bannockburn, Greenock Creek, Jasper Hills, Kilikanoon, Wendouree, petaluma, Wynns John Roddoch et al. A mix of big and elegant. But not brontosaurus big like Marquis Phillips, Shirvington etc.

11. cuffthis

cuffthis Senior member

[​IMG]

12. cuffthis

cuffthis Senior member

13. PHV

PHV Senior member

What is the ideal temp for a very bold, fruity sirah meant to be drank alone?

14. cuffthis

cuffthis Senior member

I prefer mine about 65F. My cellar is a natural 60F. I need to chill my whites in the fridge for 10 minutes and let my red be in room temp for the same 10 minutes for my version of ideal temp.

Reds at room temp (70-75F) seem too warm and I end up tasting more alcohol and less fruit for my palate. This is why I prefer higher alcohol Zin's at 55F starting temp.