• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Marquis Philips wines

cuffthis

Reaction score
I have become a big fan of these Australian wines, made by Sarah and Sparky Marquis and imported by Dan Philip's company, the Grateful Palate.

I first tried them after reading RP's glowing reviews of them. I purchased them from Carolina Wine Company.

For in your face, up front, New World fruit bombs, these are perfect. Some are a little too bold for some foods but, man, are they tasty.

At prices starting at $13 for the shiraz, merlot and cab bottlings, to slightly higher prices for Sarah's Blend, the S2 cab, S9 shiraz and the $100 Integrity shiraz (which I have not yet opened), IMHO, these are some of the market's best values in fruit forward aussie wines.

Sarah and Sparky Marquis also make Henry's Drive Shiraz. Don't miss this $25 bottle if you can find it. Heavenly, with pure blackberry and cassis flavors. Stunning.

Damn, writing this is making me thirsty for a glass. Too bad it's 10am on a Saturday and I'm at work.

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like M-P wines too, for what they are (as you accurately described them) -- in your face, fruit bombs. I don't think they go well with most foods, except casual pizza/pasta. They are great for casual drinking though while watching a movie or for when friends come over. The wine is so tasty that non-wine geeks love it too. I think my favorite of the bunch is the S2, a cabernet blend (though I've never had any of Phillips' high-end wines).

cuffthis

Reaction score
Kabert,

In a perfect world, I would have 4-5 courses each nite with my dinner. But my world's not perfect and I often have just wine and cheese for dinner some nights after working late.

And fruit forward wines like these are just what the wine doctor ordered (at least for me)

Tom

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"Just what the doctor ordered" -- Agreed. After a long day at work, most days something fruit-forward and tasty is just what I'm looking for.

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
And fruit forward wines like these are just what the wine doctor ordered (at least for me) Tom
Hey. You stole my sig.
wink.gif
Tom

Zubberah

Reaction score
Here in Australia, where they are NOT distributed or sold, they are frowned upon. Personally, I have found them undrinkable. I'm not exaggerating when I say undrinkable. Each to their own i suppose. Couldn't even finish a half glass of the s9 Shiraz. To me, and my wine friends, the "wine" is an over-extracted abomination. The US can have the lot of them.

cuffthis

Reaction score
Here in Australia, where they are NOT distributed or sold, they are frowned upon. Personally, I have found them undrinkable. I'm not exaggerating when I say undrinkable. Each to their own i suppose. Couldn't even finish a half glass of the s9 Shiraz. To me, and my wine friends, the "wine" is an over-extracted abomination. The US can have the lot of them.

Babychickpea, tell us what you drink in Australia?

Zubberah

Reaction score
Is d'arenberg or penfolds big in Australia?
Penfolds is one of the top 5 brands in Australia and is ubiquitous.

D'Arenberg is also very popular.

Zubberah

Reaction score
Me personally? Limiting myself to Aussie brands: Leeuwin Estate Art Chardonnay, Giaconda, Mount Mary, Torbreck, Noon, Rockford Black Shiraz and Basket Press, Grosset polish hill riesling, Majella, Kay Bros, Moss Wood cabernet, Cullen Diana Madeleine, Henschke Hill of Grace and Cyril (pre 1998), Wild Duck Creek, Bass Phillip, Bannockburn, Greenock Creek, Jasper Hills, Kilikanoon, Wendouree, petaluma, Wynns John Roddoch et al. A mix of big and elegant. But not brontosaurus big like Marquis Phillips, Shirvington etc.

cuffthis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cuffthis,Feb. 12 2005,06:19

Me personally? Limiting myself to Aussie brands: Leeuwin Estate Art Chardonnay, Giaconda, Mount Mary, Torbreck, Noon, Rockford Black Shiraz and Basket Press, Grosset polish hill riesling, Majella, Kay Bros, Moss Wood cabernet, Cullen Diana Madeleine, Henschke Hill of Grace and Cyril (pre 1998), Wild Duck Creek, Bass Phillip, Bannockburn, Greenock Creek, Jasper Hills, Kilikanoon, Wendouree, petaluma, Wynns John Roddoch et al. A mix of big and elegant. But not brontosaurus big like Marquis Phillips, Shirvington etc.
I have in my cellar some of the wines you mention below, including Kay Bros (Amery and Hillside), Wild Duck Creek (Duck Muck and Spring Flat), Bannockburn , Greenock Creek (Alice's and Apricot Block), Kilikanoon (Oracle) and Wynn's John Riddoch (cab). Substantially all of these were purchased from my source in North Carolina and are imported by Dan Phillips of The Grateful Palate (bless them). Everyone has their own palate and are certainly entitled to their opinion. But to dismiss Marquis Phillips as brontosaurus big but to say Duck Muck or Oracle are not in the same boat? Interesting. Oh well, that leaves more for me. Drink up.

PHV

Reaction score
I have become a big fan of these Australian wines, made by Sarah and Sparky Marquis and imported by Dan Philip's company, the Grateful Palate.

I first tried them after reading RP's glowing reviews of them. I purchased them from Carolina Wine Company.

For in your face, up front, New World fruit bombs, these are perfect. Some are a little too bold for some foods but, man, are they tasty.

At prices starting at $13 for the shiraz, merlot and cab bottlings, to slightly higher prices for Sarah's Blend, the S2 cab, S9 shiraz and the $100 Integrity shiraz (which I have not yet opened), IMHO, these are some of the market's best values in fruit forward aussie wines.

Sarah and Sparky Marquis also make Henry's Drive Shiraz. Don't miss this $25 bottle if you can find it. Heavenly, with pure blackberry and cassis flavors. Stunning.

Damn, writing this is making me thirsty for a glass. Too bad it's 10am on a Saturday and I'm at work.
What is the ideal temp for a very bold, fruity sirah meant to be drank alone?

cuffthis

Reaction score
I prefer mine about 65F. My cellar is a natural 60F. I need to chill my whites in the fridge for 10 minutes and let my red be in room temp for the same 10 minutes for my version of ideal temp.

Reds at room temp (70-75F) seem too warm and I end up tasting more alcohol and less fruit for my palate. This is why I prefer higher alcohol Zin's at 55F starting temp.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads