• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Maroon/Burgundy Suits?

tcmquincy

Reaction score
My school color is maroon and I would love a maroon suit, however I have had an extremely hard time finding one.

What are y'alls thoughts on a maroon suit (or maybe just a sports coat) and do you know of anywhere to buy a decent one? Thanks!

kazusano

Reaction score
It sounds like this would be your first suit or sport coat. If so, don't buy a maroon one. While your school spirit is noble, that's a lot of money to spend and your first suit or sport coat should be navy blue. Then next, grey or charcoal grey. Your 20th suit or sport coat may be maroon. Otherwise, the first time you wear the suit/sport coat, I will think yay for school spirit. The second time you wear it, I will think, oh hey, it's that school spirit yay!. The third and subsequent time you wear it, I will think, "Sheesh, that coat again; does he own anything else?" Buy a maroon tie/bow tie/socks/hat or something else that is relatively cheap for this kind of thing.

Last edited:

tcmquincy

Reaction score
It sounds like this would be your first suit or sport coat.

I can see why you think that mate. But This would be my 4th suit (and I have maybe 7-8 sports coats). Im wearing one in my pic! I have a dark charcoal one, a light grey suit, and a navy suit with a very subtle check pattern. I would just love a maroon one, even if I only wore it once a year. Any other colors you'd recommend for a suit? A maroon one would really stick out since most of the time I'd be wearing one of the more common suits or one of my sports coats

kazusano

Reaction score
Sorry, I’m accessing the site from a mobile, so I can’t see anything in your profile pic. Sounds like you’ve already decided to get a maroon suit, and since it sounds like you already have a couple of suits in standard colors and a number of sport coats, I say, “have at it!” I’m a conservative dresser, so I would be of no help with other color suggestions if you’re looking to stand out.

Looking at a Google image search for “maroon suit,” those guys are certainly rocking their maroon suits. https://www.google.com/search?q=mar...HXSvAtMQ_AUoAXoECAsQAQ&biw=1112&bih=725&dpr=2
And a maroon suit would certainly stick out, so if that’s your goal, enjoy!

Please post what you eventually get so that we can see the results of your research. I might not wear one, but I would be curious to see you in yours!

usctrojans31

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
MV5BODYyNWQwMTUtM2ZmOS00NWJjLTkzMzctYWMwNmNkYmUzNWJkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjk3NTUyOTc@._V1_.jpg

WhereNext

Reaction score
To some extent (maybe a large extent), it matters how much you want to stand out. A burgundy sportscoat would not necessarily be outlandish, though certainly a bit less commonly seen (as you've noticed in your attempts to buy one off the rack) which might make it memorable and literally remarkable; you'll have your own sense of how good or bad those things are for your life. I have one in a dark burgundy, wool/silk blend with big-ish peak lapels that I especially like for night events, but I also wear it to teach/for events (to be clear, I'm an academic in Cape Town....very few people wear jacket and tie so I'm already an outlier, and there is a general appreciation for bold choices in the style department).
If you're going full burgundy suit, my suggestion is to go for a very dark and rich shade of burgundy. As a full suit, a lighter or brighter shade would be, in my view, quite garish (in other words, it goes from "bold choice" to "geesh, what happened there?!"). Also, in this vein, keep in mind that swatches often read a bit darker than the clothes they're made into, so that's something to consider when you pick out the cloth for this (read: I can't imagine you'll find a good version of this OTR, so I suspect you'll have to get it made for you).

Jacob E.

Reaction score
Something like this Paul Smith doesn't look half-bad IMO - but it's not burgundy either, more like deep purple. The picture is from Yoox, there's only 1 size available. I would keep an eye on Yoox, Farfetch and the like, where you could find a one-off piece.

Attachments

• 49405214lb_14_f.jpg
    49405214lb_14_f.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 249

Ebitdaddy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a maroon/burgundy and blue sport coat by cucinelli that looks great imo. One of my favorites and very flexible due to the blue in it.

EdT

Reaction score
My school color is maroon and I would love a maroon suit, however I have had an extremely hard time finding one.

What are y'alls thoughts on a maroon suit (or maybe just a sports coat) and do you know of anywhere to buy a decent one? Thanks!

You might want to look into where members of the Airborne Regiment of Canada get their maroon blazers from ! Pentawawa, Ontario, Canada might be a good place to start, South Africa and the UK would be my next place as they have numerous boys schools that have maroon blazers as their school's color.

Last edited:

usctrojans31

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Now that I've gotten my snarky post out of the way, you want to be very mindful of color and texture if you go this route. Far too many reddish jackets tend up looking iridescent and cheap. Thing stereotypical bellhop uniform.

Are you open to having maroon as part of a pattern, e.g. a tweed? Might be the most versatile solution.

macjedi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Now that I've gotten my snarky post out of the way, you want to be very mindful of color and texture if you go this route. Far too many reddish jackets tend up looking iridescent and cheap. Thing stereotypical bellhop uniform.

Are you open to having maroon as part of a pattern, e.g. a tweed? Might be the most versatile solution.
^ summer tweed would be a good option. I’ve seen some great maroon-ish wool-silk-linen blends.

macjedi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You would have more options if you went MTM. Kent Wang has a good selection of cloths in the color range you’re after … wool, fresco, cotton, etc. Pricing is quite reasonable. Here’s a Gladson Alazar wsl that would make a great sc.

078426FF-86DD-42BC-B60D-58A89B0BFD33.png

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads