• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Marlon Brando is dead, so why is he still in the movies?

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
In case you hadn't heard, Brian Singer has decided that the role of Jor El in the new movie Superman Returns will be played by... Marlon Brando.

He played Jor El in the first Superman with Christopher Reeve, just in case you were not aware.

What they are doing is taking some audio that was cut out of the film, combining it with audio and images that WERE in the film, and inserting them digitally into the new movie.

What do you think, an homage, or a cheap way to capitalize on a big name actor without paying.

Why not just put Christopher Reeve in the movie too? And John Wayne should have a cameo appearance.

I kind of like the idea, J hates it. What is your opinion of Marlon Brando's ghost being in this movie?

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Let's splice Orson Welles up in that sucka.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
Why not just put Christopher Reeve in the movie too?
thats pretty funny Slim.

Yeah I'll agree with J, hes dead, let him be dead. Its cute and all, and interesting that technology will supply his resurrection, but I dont really like the idea.

Stu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Kind of reminds me of when Hank Jr. made a music video with Hank Sr. I think Natalie did it with footage of Nat King Cole as well. Kind of creeped me out. I mean, Hank Williams Sr. on a music video? At least he had the requisite drug habit, but still...

Homme

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't like the idea at all. Let sleeping Marlons lie.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It was rather well done, both technically and appropriately, in Forrest Gump.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
It reminds me of Bela Lugosi's "role" in that Planet 9 movie.

Oh god.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by skalogre
Oh god.
well they could also resuscitate George Burns and add a fourth movie to that series too...

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the irony in this is that marlon brando always wanted full creative control over his performances. he refused to be directed, especially later in his career. his performances in 'last tango in paris' and 'apocolypse now' were almost completely ad lib.

supposedly, when he made 'the score' (directed by frank oz), he said, "i'm not one of your muppets with your hand up ******."

frank oz made 'the muppet show.'

tangerine

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
...a cheap way to capitalize on a big name actor without paying.

...gets my vote.

Forrest Gump was different as it was a quasi-historical film. This is just... what TS said. Though I'm sure there are some royalties being paid.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
wait a minute. are we sure that the estate of mr. brando did not get anything from the use of his image? i seriously doubt that.

besides, judging from the first 2 x-men movies, bryan singer is a very capable director in the comics-to-film genre. i'd wait to see the movie before passing judgement.

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the idea.

They did something like this for Onimusha 2. The actor Yusaku Matsuda war brought back to life.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by m@T
well they could also resuscitate George Burns and add a fourth movie to that series too...
Actually, I read that they are making a new one of those movies with Ellen DeGeneres as G-d.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads