• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Marks and Spencer?

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have bought many things from them (back home, not in the USA). Decent quality but that can vary greatly. Best underwear as far as I am concerned, as far as value and comfort are concerned. Also have a pair of trousers I like quite a bit, and some more bits and pieces. They are basically a department store that sells lots of things, not just clothing.

Guy Burgess

Reaction score
I'm not sure what they are like now but my dad used to buy a lot of stuff from there because it was good quality and lasted a long time. I always struggled to find stuff I liked/fitted there so never bothered.

bbaquiran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Their underwear (boxers) and socks seem to last forever. The belts, however, seem to crack and split after a few wears.

StylingUK

Reaction score
Alot of people have commented that M&S suit qualities are quite good amongst high street stores. Wish those who know can comment on which they are comparable to.

gawkrodger

Reaction score
yeh, there underwear is good.

problem with most of their clothing is the fit, but their stuff is normally of better quality than the likes of H&M, topman etc.

I did get a wonderful shetland jumper form there a few years ago

StylingUK

Reaction score
Try this 15% off code. Don't know if it still works or not.

WEBS22L1

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's a better average department store. Lots of stuff, moderately good quality, widely ranging fit/styling.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Hip is not something I'd describe the usual M&S shopper. Though they have the Autograph line of suits that is cut slimmer than their regular line. But most items I've seen there are nothing great at all.

StylingUK

Reaction score
M&S in the UK is having 20% off today only. I went to check out their Autograph suit by Timothy Everest. The wool felt better than my Austin Reed and had pick stitching. I ended up didn't buying it though coz it didn't fit me too well. I only tried on one coz they didn't have many Autograph suits at my local store.

Tangfastic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They're doing made to measure shirts now - I'm very tempted to try a cheap £30 to see how it comes out. They only ask for height, weight, age and collar size so I guess it may be a bit trial and error. Anyone tried these?

Also they have a few northampton made goodyear welted shoes in their range for £150.

Tangfastic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've just gone for a £29 made to measure shirt, will see how it turns out after Christmas. I'm intrigued to see how using 'biometric' data for age height and weight will get me a shirt that fits, I'm a little sceptical but then I scoffed at satnav. Also: http://www.which.co.uk/news/2008/11/...ure-161948.jsp

Another level

Reaction score
Yeah, a brand patronise by Civil Servants and plain uncool people. Driven by marketing nonsense into believing that they are buying quality products. Surely one can buy better value, fit and quality without resorting to M&S.

Last year Jeremy Paxton, a well known and respected BBC newsreader, heavily criticised M&S underwear because he though it did not provide enough support in the appropriate areas. He went as far as soughting a meeting with Stuart Rose, M&S Boss.

A couple of years ago I've asked some of their shop floor workers whether they thought the clothes were cool and whether they would buy them. No was the expected answer.

jkennett

Reaction score
I've only been to M&S in Ireland, and I do like their grocery store... I also recall reading something along the lines of Marks and Spencers having good suits for the cost/quality ratio on Thomas Mahon's English Cut blog. However, I've found most of their stuff to be pretty uncool. I only own a winter hat from them, as well as a scarf. Both were random gifts. Thomas Mahon- "[TIP:] I've said it before, and I'll say it again. For the money, the British high street retailer, Marks & Spencer's makes as good a suit as anyone. I rate them highly. [NB: I do not have any business dealings with them. Just one tailor's opinion etc." http://www.englishcut.com/archives/000101.html

StylingUK

Reaction score
M&S is having another 20% sale today. I just bought some underwear shirts...I can't tell much difference in terms of quality and just bought them because I read that M&S underwear lasts a long time. I think they feel ok to be honest and I think underwear is something that one can be cheap on since no one will see it in public anyways. Just make sure its clean when stripping for the ladies in the bedroom...

I looked at their shoes too but they are no go. When I come back from vacation, I'll definitely try their MTM shirts, they are excluded from the 20% off sale so no need to hurry. I am a bit sceptical that the measurement don't need sleeve length? But reading a bit more into the link Tangfastic posted about M&S MTM shirts, that study is quite biased tbh. They only compared 1 MTM company (called 40 Savile Row; I initially thought meant forty companies on Savile Row), 1 M&S OTR, and then 1 M&S MTM shirt. And the finding says M&S MTM is the best fitting among 2 other shirts.... Whoever wrote that report should be fired for being lazy/biased.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads