• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mark Cuban's 101 reasons not to wear a suit

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
It's fine if people get by not wearing a suit, and all the power to them. But a lot of people in the real world do need to, and some of us (like me) want to.

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
So am I, Sator.
tongue.gif

Stu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cuban went to B-school at my alma mater (Indiana University) when I was there. What a crazy guy. He got in trouble because he had a wet Tshirt night at the bar he owned and the winner turned out to be 16 years old. Ooops.

One funny story about him, he was once invited to a dinner at the IU president's house. He showed up in jeans and a T-shirt. He said: "Hey, if I'm going to sign checks I'm going to be comfortable."

LARon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jovan
It's fine if people get by not wearing a suit, and all the power to them. But a lot of people in the real world do need to, and some of us (like me) want to.

+1

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like Mark Cuban a lot but I have to disagree with him. Every reason he listed was specious at best.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What he says about "being comfortable" suggests that he may never have worn properly fitting business clothes in his life.

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
What he says about "being comfortable" suggests that he may never have worn properly fitting business clothes in his life.
Exactly my thoughts.

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
Well not a techie, but a geek nonetheless.

oldseed

Reaction score
what i take from cuban's blog is that if you are building a company, in the first 7 to 10 years of a career, that you should wear a suit. that's what he says he did, and he succeeded doing it.

after you make it big, then feel free to ditch the suit. sounds like good advice to me.

to read it any other way is to take cuban's "advice" as more like "do what i say, not what i do/did".

seed

babygreenspots

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's true, but I think he is also implicitly urging businesses all over the world to dispense with this requirement.

Anyway, I find that suits are not very practical from a temperature standpoint. I don't think it is really an issue of fit or fabric. I am rarely in a indoor environment where a suit would be the most comfortable garment. This is due to overheating. I usually take my suit jacket off or sweat. In those situations where a suit is required, I sweat. Perhaps this is just me. Suits are from England and are appropriate for that climate and the level of heating that was standard in the 19th century. There have been adaptations obviously, and in general the fabrics we wear now are much thinner. I still find it too be to much, most of the time.

There are not too many times of year where a suit jacket is the most practical outdoor covering. Perhaps in a climate like San Francisco, this would be different.

I still wear suits frequently, think men look great in them, and respect the tradition. However, if I were to plan the world, I would support more flexibility in attire based on climate and individual physical characteristics.

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
I still wear suits frequently, think men look great in them, and respect the tradition. However, if I were to plan the world, I would support more flexibility in attire based on climate and individual physical characteristics.
To a degree (no pun intended) this is already the case. Most businesses here in my town do not require a suit. They require at bare minumum a short sleeved polo shirt, trousers, and polishable shoes. This is even the case at many lawyer's offices; while you see them suited up for head shots, advertisements, and more formal functions, they'll be in a polo and pleated khakis at their offices when consulting clients.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads