• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Mario bosco

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Jun 5, 2008
Messages
13,262
Reaction score
999
Went by mario brosco today -dropped off 10 pairs of pants to be hemmed/cuffed.

Mario confirmed he'd have them done by wednesday afternoon.

For flat fronts he does no cuff, for pleated cuffs he does 1.75 inch cuffs - he said he thought 2 inch cuffs are too "trendy."

I'll let you know how satisfied I am with the work on wednesday - 2 day turn around.
16 for hemmed / no cuffs
18 for cuffs

Afterwards stopped by benies - picked up a long shoe horn and lexol conditioner.
 

gnatty8

Distinguished Member
Joined
Nov 12, 2006
Messages
9,929
Reaction score
2,010
I would have been tempted to cuff the flat fronts also. I am fairly sure with that turnaround that Mario won't be doing the work himself, and to be honest, not sure why you would have taken them there since any seamstress/alterations place can easily do this. Mario's true skill comes through in complex situations. I once brought a pair of Armani RTW trousers to him as they fit tight in the seat. He spent 10 minutes demonstrating why the operation was not as simple as simply letting out the seat. He's a fantastic guy who does fine, fine work. I wish the parking lot would be a bit easier to access and get out of though, lol
 

forex

Distinguished Member
Joined
Apr 15, 2008
Messages
6,641
Reaction score
209
Originally Posted by gnatty8
I would have been tempted to cuff the flat fronts also. I am fairly sure with that turnaround that Mario won't be doing the work himself, and to be honest, not sure why you would have taken them there since any seamstress/alterations place can easily do this. Mario's true skill comes through in complex situations. I once brought a pair of Armani RTW trousers to him as they fit tight in the seat. He spent 10 minutes demonstrating why the operation was not as simple as simply letting out the seat. He's a fantastic guy who does fine, fine work. I wish the parking lot would be a bit easier to access and get out of though, lol

I almost got into an accident there,some dumb bitch almost ran over me when she was backing out.
Mr.Bosco is a great man,I am sure he doesn't do alterations himself but his service is outstanding.I am supposed to pick up bunch of things from him this weekend.
 

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2006
Messages
8,785
Reaction score
475
Originally Posted by ThinkDerm
Went by mario brosco today -dropped off 10 pairs of pants to be hemmed/cuffed.

Mario confirmed he'd have them done by wednesday afternoon.

For flat fronts he does no cuff, for pleated cuffs he does 1.75 inch cuffs - he said he thought 2 inch cuffs are too "trendy."

I'll let you know how satisfied I am with the work on wednesday - 2 day turn around.
16 for hemmed / no cuffs
18 for cuffs

Afterwards stopped by benies - picked up a long shoe horn and lexol conditioner.


Is this what you are doing with your pants because he said this is what he does, or are you getting the pants done the way you want to (which so happens to be what he does)?

Speaking of shoe horns, there is a great one offered by our Hanger Project affiliate for a great price. I'm tempted to get one.
 

TintinATL

Senior Member
Joined
Feb 2, 2008
Messages
425
Reaction score
6
Originally Posted by gnatty8
I would have been tempted to cuff the flat fronts also. I am fairly sure with that turnaround that Mario won't be doing the work himself, and to be honest, not sure why you would have taken them there since any seamstress/alterations place can easily do this. Mario's true skill comes through in complex situations. I once brought a pair of Armani RTW trousers to him as they fit tight in the seat. He spent 10 minutes demonstrating why the operation was not as simple as simply letting out the seat. He's a fantastic guy who does fine, fine work. I wish the parking lot would be a bit easier to access and get out of though, lol
I agree, he is a true craftsman but overkill for basic stuff. I asked him to shorten jacket sleeves and put in working buttonholes, but didn't check what it would cost. When I picked the jacket up the bill was $150. He'd written it on my ticket, I just hadn't paid attention. +1 on the parking situation. And what's the deal with the barbershop next door? They advertise 10 or 15 or whatever (I forget how many) barbers on duty, which seems weird because I never see many cars in their side of the parking lot.
 

gnatty8

Distinguished Member
Joined
Nov 12, 2006
Messages
9,929
Reaction score
2,010
Originally Posted by TintinATL
I agree, he is a true craftsman but overkill for basic stuff. I asked him to shorten jacket sleeves and put in working buttonholes, but didn't check what it would cost. When I picked the jacket up the bill was $150. He'd written it on my ticket, I just hadn't paid attention.

+1 on the parking situation. And what's the deal with the barbershop next door? They advertise 10 or 15 or whatever (I forget how many) barbers on duty, which seems weird because I never see many cars in their side of the parking lot.


That's actually not awful for cutting buttonholes, particularly if you had 4 on each sleeve. Hong Kong tailors does their buttonholes by hand, so I usually get this type of work done there.
 

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Jun 5, 2008
Messages
13,262
Reaction score
999
yeah, he might be overkill for basic stuff, but the other place I was going to go did not promise to have them done before I left ATL, and I wanted to get this done. I know this is basic stuff but I still did not want something so simple screwed up.

I would have cuffed some of the pants, not all, but seriously, it did not matter much to me either way - at least prior to alterations.
 

forex

Distinguished Member
Joined
Apr 15, 2008
Messages
6,641
Reaction score
209
Originally Posted by ThinkDerm
yeah, he might be overkill for basic stuff, but the other place I was going to go did not promise to have them done before I left ATL, and I wanted to get this done. I know this is basic stuff but I still did not want something so simple screwed up.

I would have cuffed some of the pants, not all, but seriously, it did not matter much to me either way - at least prior to alterations.


Why would you want to have your pants done while you are on a trip?
 

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Jun 5, 2008
Messages
13,262
Reaction score
999
I am on vacation this week - at the gf's family's place in atl, and one of my holiday presents was to get some items tailored.

So, I picked to go to mario to get stuff tailored - better than spending my vacation running other errands (her errands) and playing trivial pursuit and such.

We've already gone to the aquarium - and going to cnn center tmw.

Ate at horseraddish grill tonight.

A trip to sid mashburns is pending!
 

adambparker

Distinguished Member
Joined
May 16, 2008
Messages
1,202
Reaction score
4
Originally Posted by ThinkDerm
I am on vacation this week - at the gf's family's place in atl, and one of my holiday presents was to get some items tailored.

So, I picked to go to mario to get stuff tailored - better than spending my vacation running other errands (her errands) and playing trivial pursuit and such.

We've already gone to the aquarium - and going to cnn center tmw.

Ate at horseraddish grill tonight.

A trip to sid mashburns is pending!


I went to a friend's wedding at the aquarium about 6 months ago, and we were going to see the aquarium itself during the day. I never expected to pay $30 for a museum/attraction outside of NY. I still kinda wish we'd sucked it up and gone, because the event space that the wedding in was pretty phenomenal, and I got the sense that the rest of the museum was worth it.
 

forex

Distinguished Member
Joined
Apr 15, 2008
Messages
6,641
Reaction score
209
Originally Posted by adambparker
I went to a friend's wedding at the aquarium about 6 months ago, and we were going to see the aquarium itself during the day. I never expected to pay $30 for a museum/attraction outside of NY. I still kinda wish we'd sucked it up and gone, because the event space that the wedding in was pretty phenomenal, and I got the sense that the rest of the museum was worth it.

It's not worth it,trust me.You haven't lost anything.
 

william

Distinguished Member
Joined
Aug 12, 2006
Messages
1,554
Reaction score
1
I like the aquarium. You should definitely check it out next time you're in town.
 

gnatty8

Distinguished Member
Joined
Nov 12, 2006
Messages
9,929
Reaction score
2,010
I had a corporate dinner in the beluga room. Pretty cool to sit in there and watch these massive animals swimming by while listening to a corporate drone speak.
 

forex

Distinguished Member
Joined
Apr 15, 2008
Messages
6,641
Reaction score
209
Originally Posted by gnatty8
I had a corporate dinner in the beluga room. Pretty cool to sit in there and watch these massive animals swimming by while listening to a corporate drone speak.

That room is nice,I think aquarium has nice conference rooms.But as far as the fish,I am not impressed,it could stand to be much bigger.It only takes you but an hour and a half to see the whole thing.
 

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

  • 1 - 4

    Votes: 32 3.8%
  • 5 - 10

    Votes: 144 17.1%
  • 11 - 20

    Votes: 280 33.2%
  • 21 - 30

    Votes: 132 15.7%
  • 31 - 40

    Votes: 71 8.4%
  • 41 - 50

    Votes: 49 5.8%
  • 51 - 60

    Votes: 25 3.0%
  • 61 - 70

    Votes: 22 2.6%
  • 71 - 80

    Votes: 17 2.0%
  • 81 - 90

    Votes: 8 0.9%
  • 91 - 100

    Votes: 9 1.1%
  • 100+

    Votes: 54 6.4%

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
429,263
Messages
9,231,434
Members
193,783
Latest member
nathanielguyen
Top