• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Marijuana, do you partake?

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Matt
eating it gets you the most high though, mostly because it takes like an hour to kick in...during which time you are sitting there thinking 'i cant feel ****, i cant feel ****' so you have another cookie...and another...and then It Strikes.

Vaporizers are the best, IMO.
Saw a guy take a pill of X today. He offered it to me. I declined, and thought of how disappointed in me you probably are.
frown.gif

Ednapolean

Reaction score
I always thought about whether or not the president of Canada partook...

I have not done it for about a year, didn't enjoy it very much after a while.

RedScarf7

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ednapolean
I always thought about whether or not the president of Canada partook...

I have not done it for about a year, didn't enjoy it very much after a while.

You're doing it wrong.

matt22616

Reaction score
I smoked on average five times a day for close to three years in undergrad. I've stopped pursuing it and as a result smoke once every two months or so: but it's really a matter of chance as I've stopped "bonding" over it with acquaintances.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Vaporizers are the best, IMO.
Saw a guy take a pill of X today. He offered it to me. I declined, and thought of how disappointed in me you probably are.
frown.gif

ahh too bad, you would have loved it.

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nosu3
I would guess that it had something to do with you driving while high, highway hypnosis is something else. Repetition, such as driving, can enhance depersonalization. People experiencing depersonalization are also "aware", not sure what you mean by that. What you are describing sounds like it could be it, now imagine being stuck like that for possibly a lifetime and that is what people with the disorder are experiencing.

Sorry for rehashing the old topic, but the Depersonalization Disorder sounds a bit like the panic attacks I suffered from the fifth grade onwards. Unlike most descriptions of panic attacks, I wasn't afraid of imminent death or having a heart attack. It was a totally psychological fear-- a instant, terrifying sense of psychic discontinuity, like I snapped awake into the very life I was dreaming. I knew who I was, and where I was, but these were all reduced to mere facts; I was completely aware of my life, but it seemed alien to this acute, hyperaware consciousness that was suddenly plugged into it.

It was very properly an existential fear, rather than a nonexistential fear, as the term is typically used to mean. It is also probably more than a little psychedelic; I often read things like the trip reports on erowid.com, and feel like I can relate to many of these sensations that the writers describe as being un-relatable for a person who has never used LSD.

And while it wasn't a fear with an object outside myself ("There's nothing to be afraid of," people would always unhelpfully assure me,) it was commonly triggered by an unfamiliar environment, so when I had the panic attacks, I would usuallly seek some sort of familiar "security blanket" location. I still have these panic attacks to some degree or another, but I've learned that it's not a panic attack if you don't panic. I consider the sudden sense of psychic dislocation like the spark of a flint, and it only goes ablaze if you give it fuel. If you don't panic, and don't go running off and feed the fear, the spark burns itself out almost instantly.

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Matt
ahh too bad, you would have loved it.

I would love to see Kyle rolling, it would probably be good for ***** and giggles.

Of course, I mean "rolling" in the colloquial sense of doing ecstasy, not "rolling" in the literal sense of being rolled around helplessly like Violet Beauregarde, as he typically is. But that's always good for ***** and giggles as well.

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Never taken acid, don't think its very popular nowadays, but I did a fair bit of K and after the high I didn't have any flash backs.

Nosu3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tagutcow
Sorry for rehashing the old topic, but the Depersonalization Disorder sounds a bit like the panic attacks I suffered from the fifth grade onwards. Unlike most descriptions of panic attacks, I wasn't afraid of imminent death or having a heart attack. It was a totally psychological fear-- a instant, terrifying sense of psychic discontinuity, like I snapped awake into the very life I was dreaming. I knew who I was, and where I was, but these were all reduced to mere facts; I was completely aware of my life, but it seemed alien to this acute, hyperaware consciousness that was suddenly plugged into it.

It was very properly an existential fear, rather than a nonexistential fear, as the term is typically used to mean. It is also probably more than a little psychedelic; I often read things like the trip reports on erowid.com, and feel like I can relate to many of these sensations that the writers describe as being un-relatable for a person who has never used LSD.

And while it wasn't a fear with an object outside myself ("There's nothing to be afraid of," people would always unhelpfully assure me,) it was commonly triggered by an unfamiliar environment, so when I had the panic attacks, I would usuallly seek some sort of familiar "security blanket" location. I still have these panic attacks to some degree or another, but I've learned that it's not a panic attack if you don't panic. I consider the sudden sense of psychic dislocation like the spark of a flint, and it only goes ablaze if you give it fuel. If you don't panic, and don't go running off and feed the fear, the spark burns itself out almost instantly.

Depersonalization/derealization are very common during a panic attack. It's estimated that nearly half of the population will experience depersonalization/dr sometime during their lifetime. When it becomes consistent and the sensation doesn't go away, that's when someone might have the disorder. The disorder sometimes begins in the form of a panic attack, the panic attack ends but the depersonalization stays.

Interesting you mentioned fluorescent lighting too, it is known to enhance depersonalization/dr and a few people with the disorder report some symptoms of HPPD. Fluorescent lighting can effect a bunch of different illnesses though. For DPD, I think the lighting has something to do with the overwhelming sensory intake since the brain does not filter as much stimuli as it should.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tagutcow
I would love to see Kyle rolling, it would probably be good for ***** and giggles.

Of course, I mean "rolling" in the colloquial sense of doing ecstasy, not "rolling" in the literal sense of being rolled around helplessly like Violet Beauregarde, as he typically is. But that's always good for ***** and giggles as well.

I have seen Kyle with a few drinks in him. He's a jolly drunk and fun to be around.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fuji
Never taken acid, don't think its very popular nowadays, but I did a fair bit of K and after the high I didn't have any flash backs.

K is pure evil, but I have never heard of anyone having flashbacks from it. Lots of "i dont ever wanna be there again" (including myself) but never heard of flashbacks.

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nosu3
Interesting you mentioned fluorescent lighting too, it is known to enhance depersonalization/dr and a few people with the disorder report some symptoms of HPPD. Fluorescent lighting can effect a bunch of different illnesses though. For DPD, I think the lighting has something to do with the overwhelming sensory intake since the brain does not filter as much stimuli as it should.

Yeah, my panic attacks (such as they are) these days usually occur in environments with unusual lighting, particularly in my gym which is entirely lit by fluorescent lights.

oman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yeah an old friend has been bugging me to drop acid lately

it would be just like old times (i.e. absolutely fantastic) but i'm pretty busy right now and can't afford to lose focus so i doubt it'll happen anytime soon

hamish5178

Reaction score
Dropped acid once. Wasn't as scary and crazy as people always make you think. **** was just wobbly.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads