1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Marie Antoinette (Sofia Coppola's great taste in music)

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by gamelan, Oct 24, 2006.

1. gamelan

gamelan Senior member

first My Bloody Valentine and Jesus and Mary Chain in Lost in Translation.

now the Marie Antoinette trailers which use New Order's Ceremony (one of my top 2 fave songs of all time) and Age of Consent, and The Cure's Plainsong.

-Jeff

2. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

The Virgin Suicides also used some tasteful music. The trailer also had The Stroke's "What Ever Happened".

3. Ivan Kipling

Ivan Kipling Senior member

Those I know who've seen the movie, praised everything except the acting and the dialogue. I will see the film, later this week.

4. Saucemaster

Saucemaster Senior member

The Cure's Plainsong.

Here's the thing about Plainsong: I love it, and it's the opening to one of my longest album crushes ever--I don't think I got tired of Disintegration for years, and even when I did, it didn't last long--but the damn windchime opening fucks me up every time. You're like, "wait, are my speakers too quiet? No, no, you do this every time. It's just a really slow fade and then the keyboards will come in all big and everything. God, it HAS been a while now though. Let me turn it up just a bit to check if" BAM!!!

5. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

The music totally made the movie for me. Esp. since I'm a dude of a certain age. It was great hearing Gang of Four and New Order on Dolby THX. [​IMG]

6. gamelan

gamelan Senior member

Here's the thing about Plainsong: I love it, and it's the opening to one of my longest album crushes ever--I don't think I got tired of Disintegration for years, and even when I did, it didn't last long--but the damn windchime opening fucks me up every time. You're like, "wait, are my speakers too quiet? No, no, you do this every time. It's just a really slow fade and then the keyboards will come in all big and everything. God, it HAS been a while now though. Let me turn it up just a bit to check if" BAM!!!

that's the freakin' best part to the entire album!!!

-Jeff

7. gamelan

gamelan Senior member

The music totally made the movie for me. Esp. since I'm a dude of a certain age. It was great hearing Gang of Four and New Order on Dolby THX. [​IMG]

what i'm wondering though is if the music will actually be used in the movie. it's the Portishead "Glory Box"/Long Kiss Goodnight syndrome.

-Jeff

8. briancl

briancl Senior member

I enjoyed the film, but the acting wasn't so great. The dialog was to be expected for what the film is; however, it could have been spiced up, considering how much the rest was (the late night dancing seen, for example).

I've never thought that Kirsten Dunst was a particularly great actor. She often seems wooden and monotone. I always thought she was a great match to the horrible acting of Toby Maguire in Spiderman. But for features like this, which are supposed to be all about the characters, especially hers, I think she needs to step it up.

9. poly800rock

poly800rock Senior member

first My Bloody Valentine and Jesus and Mary Chain in Lost in Translation.

now the Marie Antoinette trailers which use New Order's Ceremony (one of my top 2 fave songs of all time) and Age of Consent, and The Cure's Plainsong.

-Jeff

i based my old band entirely on the song ceremony.....my fav song ever, HOWEVER, life aquatic also used it and i pumped myself up to see that one, fav song, amazing director, and i thought it sucked....so i don't have much hope for this one either.

10. gamelan

gamelan Senior member

i based my old band entirely on the song ceremony.....

nice!!!

-Jeff

11. Edward Appleby

Edward Appleby Senior member

i based my old band entirely on the song ceremony.....my fav song ever, HOWEVER, life aquatic also used it and i pumped myself up to see that one, fav song, amazing director, and i thought it sucked....so i don't have much hope for this one either.
    You might rent Life Aquatic again. I was extremely excited about it (I adore Rushmore, as my handle might suggest), but when I saw it the first time I was also quite disappointed. On a whim, I watched it again on cable and really warmed up to it. I've seen it a couple more times since, and it just keeps getting better.

Re Marie Antoinette, I thought it faltered in a couple places, but overall I loved it. I know a lot of people didn't like the way the acting was handled, but I thought that the naturalistic approach was brilliant. Kept it from feeling too distant, and really helped convey the hedonistic spirit of Versailles. As I'm sure everyone's heard, the cinematography and soundtrack are spectacular. When "What Ever Happened" cuts in, I was fucking floored.

It's worth going just to see Rip Torn as the King of France. Not because it's ludicrous, but because he fucking nails it.