• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Hi, we have updated our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy in anticipation of the upcoming new Calfornia laws, the CCPA. If you are a resident of California, these rights pertain to you. Thanks - Styleforum Team.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Mariano Rubinacci - color and complexion - a case study

mmkn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The great Rubinacci has pink beige skin with high contrast eyes and hair, and so cool colors brings forth his face while warm colors drown it.

More specifically, cool colors that are vivid, intense icy, and true (balance of blue, yellow, black, and white) rather than cool colors that are muted, pastel, or have blue/rose/gray undertones in them . . .

Of great importance is the color next to one's face, in this case the jacket color . . .

Yes (I see the man on first impression) . . .

No (I see the jacket first, and the color drowns out his face) . . .

From the latest Rake . . .

The color above (golden white/ecru/cream, but not clear-yellowed white) would better bring out someone's face who has golden peach undertones and high hair/eyes contrast to to their face. For example . . .

Also no . . . .

- M

F. Corbera

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This will be a really great thread for those who wear Rubinacci to pull up a chair, grab a beer, and hang out for awhile.

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
Something about how he ties his ties/how they look bloated in the middle and thinner up top and towards the bottom is off-putting.

JakeLA

Reaction score
I agree that the yellow man with the yellow teeth shouldn't wear a yellow shirt, a yellow tie, and a yellow jacket while standing in front of a yellow wall.

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
I wonder... if one were to find the yellow man's pants in a thrift store, would they have yellow stains? Is Reevolving around to help?

srivats

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
mmkn, while your analysis has some merit, I think that (digital) photos themselves distort the picture somewhat. None of the photos you posted above are what I'd consider showing colors anywhere close to true, be it of the man or of the clothes.

While the elder R. gent has on occasion shown to be wearing colors that do not suit him well, I am sure that he'd look great in real life most of the time.

Last edited:

mmkn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ The thread was a response to the ad below in the latest Rake.

I am not saying he couldn't wear light color to signify spring and summer, just not that golden cream color.

A soft pure white would have worked better, like the soft white in his pocket square. The shirt, tie, and trousers colors are OK as well.

The Ralph Lauren and Giorgio Armani ads at the beginning of this Rake issue, well, those models had make up and photoshop done to them. Women have the luxury of changing their make up to go with whatever they are wearing. For men it is better to get clothes in colors that complement their complexion in the first place.

As is, many older men (and younger men who emulate "classic dressing") have imprinted the color choices of the Apparel Arts artists. If one looks closely, the artists usually painted the complexion of the wearer to go with what they were wearing.

Here is the RL ad at the beginning of the issue with a similar color jacket and trousers. Note the model with make up making his skin with golden tones, in addition to his high contrast eyes and hair.

Looks much better, I see the man.

- M

Frankie22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
C Jackson's principles outlined in Color For Men simply this.
Yellow teeth guy is clearly a contrast complexion and should be wearing cool colors. He'd look good in simple black and white.

Last edited:

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

mmkn, while your analysis has some merit, I think that (digital) photos themselves distort the picture somewhat. None of the photos you posted above are what I'd consider showing colors anywhere close to true, be it of the man or of the clothes.

+1

I've seen him in the first suit and it isn't really that color.

mmkn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

isn't really

The only requirement for natural overcast day lighting is when looking at someone's complexion to determine what it looks like.

Other than that, as indoor lighting or flash lighting changes both the subject's complexion and their clothes in the same way, it is possible through photographs to determine whether someone is wearing something that brings them forth or washes them out.

- M

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How wide do you like your leg opening on your trousers?

• 7”

Votes: 60 17.4%
  • 7.5”

Votes: 115 33.3%
  • 8”

Votes: 104 30.1%
  • 8.5”

Votes: 36 10.4%
  • 9”

Votes: 14 4.1%
  • 9.5”

Votes: 7 2.0%