• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Margaret Howell/MHL

accordion

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is this jacket too big, even for MH?

IMG_20190409_170350.jpg

IMG_20190409_170411.jpg

IMG_20190409_173011.jpg

AW13:
photo_mid_def_4802936.jpg

OccultaVexillum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
At the most basic level MHL is cheaper, you could probably categorize it as more casual and true workwear as well, but it’s not like the mainline stuff isn’t heavily workwear influenced too.
They are just two different things but MHL is cheaper and not as nice

ike_hiking_boots

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agree with OccultaVexillum and would like to add a few other thoughts:

MHL was originally launched to tap into the vintage workwear trend - it was very much marketed as a (cheaper) diffusion line. The label used to say MHL - "Inspired by Function and Utility" - interestingly that slogan has now been removed, but 'utility clothing' would be a good description for the brand - it's certainly not a pure 'workwear' brand.

Mainline has better fabrics - think cashmere v. shetland wool. It could also be argued the tailoring/production is made to a higher standard - Mainline shirting is hand made at the London Shirting Factory whereas MHL shirting is made in Portugal.

They now have 3 standalone MHL stores in London - at these stores you can only buy MHL and some complimentary brands (they stock a few pieces by Vetra for example). The Mainline Stores (Wigmore Street and Fulham) do still stock some of the MHL line next to the Mainline they just don't have all of it - so it's considered complimentary.

I prefer Mainline but I do sometimes buy MHL - their cotton/linen T-shirts are a wardrobe staple although they changed the cut of this T for SS19 and I can't say I like it - I also have quite a few of the stand-collar shirts although they've recently changed the design/cut of this garment and I can't say it's an improvement over the original.

You see more MHL at wholesale than you see Mainline - probably because the sell-through is better, which is inevitably down to the price.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score

malcb33

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree with the above assessments of the differences between the mainline and MHL.

I will say for the price point MHL stacks up against many other workwear brands in terms of quality. Some of my MHL pieces are probably some of my most worn everyday clothing.

Pangolin

Reaction score
Do the UK and Japan mainline collections fit the same?

OccultaVexillum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Nope, Japan sizing is smaller. And I don't think it's a 1 size up kind of deal either.
ie/ it's not:
UK XL = Japan L
UK L = Japan M
UK M = Japan S

I've bought some Japanese Howell in the past off ebay and the sizes haven't been anywhere close. I remember buying some Japanese pants that were tagged as Large, which are usually loose on me, and they measured under 30" at the waist. Similarly i bought a blazer labelled X and i couldn't get my arms in it.

havensk

Reaction score
AW19 stuff is rolling in

I'm a big fan of the welder's jacket, and the fireman shoes look cool in a weird way.

Personally I've never handled mainline but I'm a very big fan of the MHL line. I have a couple items and I'm always impressed by the cut and detail put into each piece. I have a rust colored sweater from AW18 that just fit exactly what I was looking for and I'm anxiously waiting on colder days to break it back out.

OccultaVexillum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Any chance anybody here has seen one of this seasons blazers (wide wrap or unstructured) somewhere outside of the howell webstore or End?

Or does anybody have an older one for sale (XL or L)?
There's a few on grailed but the prices are still way up

accordion

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tried on a bunch of stuff at Plain Goods. Liked the MHL roll necks and MH fair isles. MHL quality seems pretty good this season. Had to size down for everything. The shetland fair isles fit a little awkward due to the material but the pattern and cut are nice. Kopped their last pair of serge wool narrow trousers and the charcoal fair isle from END. The trousers are heavy and run at least one size big.

IMG_20191129_165202.jpg IMG_20191129_150343.jpg IMG_20191129_133142.jpg
Charcoal fair isle
IMG_20191129_130713.jpg
MHL saddle sleeve roll neck with narrow trousers

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads