• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Margaret Howell/MHL

catchh

Reaction score
Received the Lighweight Parka and the Scout Sandals. Excited to wear them in the warmer months ahead!

Surprised that the Parka came with a beautiful garment bag hanger. Never received one before with previous outerwear purchases.
7FA80DBC-EBC3-477E-A900-DE0EE9FA13D9.jpeg
8DE49A57-7944-4538-B2F4-E6B211D67834.jpeg
F273974C-BC89-41D3-B2CE-25CD2A9ECDA8.jpeg

sandmountain

Reaction score
Interesting to read that press release. Thanks for sharing!
You’re welcome 🙂 You might also like this little review in Vogue that I saw the other day:

Interesting that they mention the head designers by name (Rosamund Ward for women’s; Ioannis Cholidis for men’s). I’d love to be a fly on the wall in their design studio. And yes, the review confirms that the kilt is indeed for men.

catchh

Reaction score
Does anyone know why some shirts are made in their London workroom and the others in Italy? How come they aren’t all made in their workroom?

I prefer the handmade touch to the shirts made in their workroom.

Just curious…

sandmountain

Reaction score
This was on the homepage of Popeye magazine today. Margaret picks ten “style essentials” and talks a bit about her design/personal style philosophy.

catchh

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing that. I saw it on Instagram but couldn’t find the page.

It was a good read. I especially like how she talks about having a smaller wardrobe and how it brings out more of your personality. I feel the same way. I don’t want too much. I prefer favourites, things I look forward to wearing.

looseandwavey

Reaction score
Does anyone know why some shirts are made in their London workroom and the others in Italy? How come they aren’t all made in their workroom?

I prefer the handmade touch to the shirts made in their workroom.

Just curious…
I suspect its probably just a mixture of cost/time rather than anything more interesting sadly

sandmountain

Reaction score
I saw this article about indigo twill in the Financial Times today: “Twill of the people: the workwear staple that never gets old.” To coincide with an exhibition called Workwear at Het Nieuwe Instituut in Rotterdam.

There’s a little quote from Margaret Howell (not sure if they’re being featured in this exhibition or not):

Some designers like the integrity of raw twill. “I remember the first time we used it as a fabric,” says Margaret Howell, the most stubbornly and brilliantly modernist of British designers. “The design was a simple unlined jacket based on the blue cotton French worker’s jacket. The colour and feel of the fabric were right for the character I wanted. It already looked and felt worn in.” The minimum order of the twill Howell wanted was way more than she needed, so the surplus accidentally made it a core textile in her canon, which suited her perfectly. “It’s now a staple MHL cloth,” she says. “Its colour and touch are casual. The finish gives it a friendly feel and a soft matte appearance. I have never thought of my designs as luxury garments. I think in terms of use, comfort and practicality – the quality of the fabric fits the purpose.”

Blackmaged

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone here own the MHL army trainers? Thinking about picking up a pair but curious about sizing, i.e. go with dress shoe sizing or with running sneaker sizing

milosh

Reaction score
Anyone here own the MHL army trainers? Thinking about picking up a pair but curious about sizing, i.e. go with dress shoe sizing or with running sneaker sizing
I can’t tell you specifically about those, but in my experience you rarely go wrong with whatever your US size is.

milosh

Reaction score
Will this be the year she makes those mizunos in a normal size range??

sandmountain

Reaction score

Nice. I like the look of the Fred Perry capsule collection. Apparently our next month. And the Mizuno down vest is also quite appealing. I guess that will be released sometime next season (seems autumn/winter appropriate).

Will this be the year she makes those mizunos in a normal size range??

Do you mean the shoes? Seems unlikely, they always looked a bit small/narrow to me. They look nice though.

matic

Reaction score
them mizunos from last season ran large. glad they're doing another one!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads