• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Margaret Howell/MHL

sandmountain

Reaction score
And it looks like this upcoming spring summer there are longer coats in the collection.

I’ve been waiting for a hooded parka for a little while (nothing this year or last, with the exception of the Mizuno Hiking Coat) and noticed that they have a few in the upcoming collection Hoping to pick something up. I don’t suppose you got anything from the Mizuno collaboration this season? Keen to hear someone’s impressions about it.

catchh

Reaction score
I did end up buying the Mizuno hiking trousers. They are pretty great! Though, I do have to tighten the drawstring quite tight, I could’ve gone with the women sizing I suppose. But they are very comfortable overall.

I do notice they release the collection with a few items each week till it’s all added. Once they remove the new arrivals it pretty much means the whole collection is available, which happened last week.

Weird thing about that though is they have all the photos and web pages ready before the stock seems to be available. Earlier in the season they added the wool socks and I bought them with another purchase only to be told the socks were added by mistake and were not yet available.

sandmountain

Reaction score
I’m no expert, but I don’t quite understand their strategy of eking it out so much and so late towards the end of the season (before it then just goes on sale!) but maybe this is just what most brands do in order to continually draw attention to themselves over a six-month period?

I wonder if that means the products they’re shooting are samples/prototypes (before the ‘real’ stock arrives)? I noticed that some of the product shots for the Mizuno poncho strangely do not have the Mizuno logo.

It’s great to hear that you like the Mizuno trousers, how is the fabric on these? Do you think the price is justified?

And do you mind if I ask you about the fit? Where do these sit on the body (e.g. at the waist, or can they be worn a bit lower?) And what is your waist measurement is and what size you ended up buying? Is there much stretch to the waistband? I’d like to get a pair, think I’d have to get one of the women’s sizes.

OccultaVexillum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
These aren’t “drops”, they just release things as they are produced/delivered.
it’s very rare that a label will receive every Single piece from their collection at the same time. Sometimes it is a conscious decision to release things when it makes sense since the fashion calendar is so dumb. Like if winter season is August, it makes no sense for most of the world for Wool outerwear to come out at the start of the season so they may hold onto it until October but more commonly they just have a later Production schedule for those things.
A lot of stuff is pre-shot, which is why you can find back door links for things or like the socks where they mistakenly add it online before they are ready.
they’ll have the samples etc for the runway or editorial or look books so they’ll usually use those pre shoot the e-commerce pages but can’t make it available until product is delivered.
this is the case for practically every designer not just Howell. It’s rarely strategic, more often production schedule / timeline based

catchh

Reaction score
Yeah, it definitely seems that way. It’s more that the products aren’t available or received yet. In the past when I have enquired about certain items, I have always been told that they plan on receiving it soon and to keep checking the new arrivals. I do notice though, the women seem to get a lot of the stuff first and quicker than the men’s haha.

As for the Mizuno walking trousers.I usually get size 34 or medium in trousers and got a small in them. I have to tie the drawstring really tightly. I prefer they sit high waisted as if I put them too low they bunch up a lot at the bottom. This could vary depending how tall you are. The price is all dependent on you. To me they are super comfortable, convenient and waterproof. They have a mesh lining which makes it really comfortable. And they do look really great with their knitwear.

sandmountain

Reaction score
Thanks for letting me know, they sound great! It sounds like I’ll have to get them in women’s sizing if I decide to get them.

OccultaVexillum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Does anybody have (or have had) one of the MHL staff jackets? The blazer type of one?

milosh

Reaction score
Bought the black geelong sweater and the Ventile parka. Both are great.

catchh

Reaction score
The Japan website has already started to put up items for the new spring summer 23 collection. Some you can see match up with the looks shared already through the collection preview.

OccultaVexillum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I’ve always wanted one of the Howell x Barbour but I have been waiting for an orange or red or something like that and I just don’t think that’s in Howell’s colour lexicon.
I have the corduroy drop pockets on the way to me, should be here tomorrow. It’s way too hot to wear them but they were selling out everywhere in my size and I didn’t want to risk waiting another couple of weeks for sales.

milosh

Reaction score
Yeah exactly, the khaki barbour one. The color is kind of hard to capture in photos. I really like it and it works for much colder weather than I thought.

ike_hiking_boots

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have the MH x Barbour Haydon in green – it fits really big - did try sizing down but it doesn't work. I had a look at the Ventile Parka at the store and they're probably the best of the bunch. Nice pick-up.

sandmountain

Reaction score
Yeah exactly, the khaki barbour one. The color is kind of hard to capture in photos. I really like it and it works for much colder weather than I thought.

How do you find the fit, did you buy your regular size? I tried on a MHL parka in my size a few years, but it was way too big for my tastes. Perhaps mainline stuff isn’t as oversized? Cool to hear that it works for colder weather, wasn’t sure about this myself. Might have to get the black version that I’ve been eyeing!

milosh

Reaction score
I am usually a L but got an M, it's still loose like a parka should be but not huge. I did like how the L fit me but actually the woman at the store steered me towards the M a bit.

Note that it's not really a winter thing but it was around 0C these days and I had a sweater and the parka and was fine walking home for like 40 mins.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads