• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Margaret Howell/MHL

the kidcrash

Reaction score
Yup, pretty much. It could be very well a completely different brand. But, they have the right to use the label.

Another example is The North Face: Purple Label in Japan. Nanamica have the rights to the label and can essentially produce whatever they want.

I've always found the Japanese licensing/mgmt company biz super interesting.

Margaret Howell/MHL in Japan is a proper lifestyle brand with home goods, interior design, cafes, etc. There is some crossover between the British team (Margaret and co.) and TSI Holdings/Anglobal's Japanese team, though. They'll sometimes share campaign imagery or the JP team may publish imagery that the UK team only sends to buyers (i.e. lookbooks). Both regions will get certain collabs as well, like Barbour, Solovair and Mizuno.

Not the MHL x Converse, though, cuz Converse JP is a wholly different entity than Nike-owned Converse, similar to The North Face. Goldwin operates TNF in Japan (including Purple Label), but Eiichiro Homma from Nanamica directs Purple Label and their brands interface a bit.

Interestingly, there is a little direct communication between American The North Face (owned by VF Corp) and Goldwin's TNF, they'll share tech, designs, etc. and occasionally overlap on drops (like Supreme, Urban Exploration).

A little off topic but fascinating (at least for me). Japan's licensing/management structure affects a lot international brands.

Anyways, saw some of the new season women's stuff recently and it's as good as ever. looking forward to seeing what menswear turns up

Last edited:

OccultaVexillum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Went full Howell today

1BD74496-84C2-4FE6-89BC-429BB175F6BE.jpeg

Harris tweed putty jacket
Indigo painters shirt
Ink tapered trouser
Postman derby

I’ve been trying to get this jacket to roll to the middle button (3 roll 2? Is that what you call it?) but it seems like I’m going have to steam it or press it or something.

AleksanderLundsted

Reaction score
Hey guys!

Do you by any chance know how the MHL Pull Up trousers fit?

I know that the fit is generously baggy/wide, but I would like to know from someone who owns a pair.

I've been looking at the Pull Up trousers in natural denim: https://www.margarethowell.co.uk/men/shop/trousers/mhl-pull-up-trouser-natural-denim-natural

Do you by any chance know if they fit baggier than the black/khaki compact cotton pair that recently released?

I'm 187 cm tall and 79 kg - I'm usually a size 32-33 in jeans. Maybe I can fit in a M?

pinkchimneys

Reaction score
Hey guys!

I know that the fit is generously baggy/wide, but I would like to know from someone who owns a pair.

I've been looking at the Pull Up trousers in natural denim: https://www.margarethowell.co.uk/men/shop/trousers/mhl-pull-up-trouser-natural-denim-natural

Do you by any chance know if they fit baggier than the black/khaki compact cotton pair that recently released?

I'm 187 cm tall and 79 kg - I'm usually a size 32-33 in jeans. Maybe I can fit in a M?

I’m a 34 and I fit comfortably in a size small. I found the medium too baggy in the waist.

m4gdelen4

Reaction score
Hey guys!

I'm 31-32 and I can swim in the M they're so large. Also the drawstring is a little awkward, although it tends to stay in place without tying. I think if it's a just-right fit shouldn't be an issue. Probably best to go with an S?

I'm a size down from you wondering if I should gamble on the S or XS haha

m4gdelen4

Reaction score
Went full Howell today

View attachment 1605388
Harris tweed putty jacket
Indigo painters shirt
Ink tapered trouser
Postman derby

I’ve been trying to get this jacket to roll to the middle button (3 roll 2? Is that what you call it?) but it seems like I’m going have to steam it or press it or something.

How do those derbies fit, ,TTS?

OccultaVexillum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
They run a little big. I'd size down if you're in between sizes.
I'm a typical US12 and got a UK11 after talking with the MHL staff, but if there was a UK10.5 i would have ordered that.

OccultaVexillum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So after trying on my derbies again I realize I just bought the wrong size. They’re too big for me, so if anybody is interested in a pair of UK11 please let me.
Worn once, but as you can see the condition is as good as brand new.
retail was 285 pounds ($335 ish USD), selling for 225 usd shipped worldwide from Australia

Or there’s the off chance anybody has these in a UK10 I would also be loooking to buy them

994D211D-B233-437C-8919-C6FEC7C8D2F7.jpeg

5355666F-BAA5-4038-9643-63EA5301B606.jpeg

D55E400C-F69C-4B4F-8F5B-46C3EC1ED67C.jpeg

1C8FDBD9-7191-4AD7-99C7-A6FD8D57CE2B.jpeg

BBEF044B-2915-42CE-B9D5-0901FEEFDB99.jpeg

BC8CBB1A-513C-4BFF-81D1-0B33E40CC3F1.jpeg

E29E1863-0D24-4F3E-BA43-DBFF289CEBBA.jpeg

mcfly26

Reaction score
Any chance of the brand doing any promotion now? Or anyone got at least a 10% discount code?

OccultaVexillum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Any chance of the brand doing any promotion now? Or anyone got at least a 10% discount code?

What are you looking for? Some retailers have sales on now.
IIRC the Howell site starts their sale just after Christmas.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads