• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Margaret Howell/MHL

OccultaVexillum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I picked up the ochre track top a few weeks ago and love it. Also grabbed a big pocket cardigan a while ago, but unfortunately I sized down to an L (XL would have been better but there all gone now).
And I just received the putty 3b jacket today.
96D41530-30D0-474B-AC9F-918A78BE8AAB.jpeg

BlakeRVA

Reaction score
Neat article - talks about the brands evolution, values, and points of reference from a consumer perspective.

Meet the Margaret Howell superfans

OccultaVexillum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That’s really cool @BlakeRVA
Thanks for that.

it’s funny, I’ve always really loved Howell but for about 5 years I didn’t really buy anything. Maybe only 4 or 5 things and 2 of them would have been the saddle neck sweaters.
lately I’ve really been buying quite a bit though, last season I got 2 pairs of pants, a blazer, 2 shirts and a cardigan. The season before that a couple of shirts, knits and scarves. And this season I’ve already grabbed a few things.
its like I had stopped buying so much because I was looking for things that were a bit less hard wearing and opting for sleeker and more “fashion” look for lack of a better word, but now I’m seeking out the opposite and have been really falling in love all over again with how functional and easy all of her designs are.
plus she’s generally just so ******* cool.
that seems to a huge draw for me as far as designers I love; how cool is the designer behind the clothes?

asaa1000

Reaction score
Anyone know the difference between the made in japan vs made in uk stuff? Are the sizing different? Recently picked my first piece, a pleated trouser from Japan, absolutely love it, reminds me of the cool loose tapered shape from Geller but a bit more classic in shape.

catchh

Reaction score
The Japan stuff is licensed by Anglobal ( https://www.anglobal.co.jp/anglobal_members/ ). I think they make up most of their own designs, but have some original staple pieces from Margaret Howell included as well (not sure if they come from England or not). From my experience, the quality in materials can range from High end to medium, as they seem to sell some cheaper mainline offerings.

asaa1000

Reaction score
The Japan stuff is licensed by Anglobal ( https://www.anglobal.co.jp/anglobal_members/ ). I think they make up most of their own designs, but have some original staple pieces from Margaret Howell included as well (not sure if they come from England or not). From my experience, the quality in materials can range from High end to medium, as they seem to sell some cheaper mainline offerings.
Interesting... do you mean the MIJ stuff is essentially a different brand? Different design, manufacturing, and the even quality is different.

BlakeRVA

Reaction score
That’s really cool @BlakeRVA
Thanks for that.

it’s funny, I’ve always really loved Howell but for about 5 years I didn’t really buy anything. Maybe only 4 or 5 things and 2 of them would have been the saddle neck sweaters.
lately I’ve really been buying quite a bit though, last season I got 2 pairs of pants, a blazer, 2 shirts and a cardigan. The season before that a couple of shirts, knits and scarves. And this season I’ve already grabbed a few things.
its like I had stopped buying so much because I was looking for things that were a bit less hard wearing and opting for sleeker and more “fashion” look for lack of a better word, but now I’m seeking out the opposite and have been really falling in love all over again with how functional and easy all of her designs are.
plus she’s generally just so ******* cool.
that seems to a huge draw for me as far as designers I love; how cool is the designer behind the clothes?
I agree! What's unique about Margaret is the clarity in her point of view and her longevity. The fashion world has more noise than ever with social media and cheap international flights, but Margaret has been diligently crafting her own micro-universe for 50(!) years. It's simply remarkable and provides a unique authenticity amongst all the contrived minimalist and utilitarian brands.

On another note, men have long ruled fashion design, but recently I've been thoroughly appreciating how women like Margaret Howell, Emily Bode, and Deborah Sitbon (DBF) add a fresh or clear perspective on menswear.

catchh

Reaction score
Interesting... do you mean the MIJ stuff is essentially a different brand? Different design, manufacturing, and the even quality is different.
Yup, pretty much. It could be very well a completely different brand. But, they have the right to use the label.

Another example is The North Face: Purple Label in Japan. Nanamica have the rights to the label and can essentially produce whatever they want.

Last edited:

grayfox

Reaction score
I bought a pair of straight leg trousers from MHL, size S is huge. Only real model shots I can find online are on a woman wearing XS, but I imagine it's a unisex piece anyway. S works for me thankfully, and I got it at a good price. Looking forward to incorporating some actual wide legged pants into outfits from now

1616856098475.png

OccultaVexillum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
@grayfox Looks pretty good as is man.
One thing I will say that I have been told from talking to a couple of reps in the store, particularly about MHL, is that most of the stuff should be machine washed before you really get the best idea of it. Most things have a very generous waist and I've considered sizing down, but after asking store people about it they all said the bigger waists are done so they can be easily washed and laundered and lived in.

grayfox

Reaction score
One thing I will say that I have been told from talking to a couple of reps in the store, particularly about MHL, is that most of the stuff should be machine washed before you really get the best idea of it. Most things have a very generous waist and I've considered sizing down, but after asking store people about it they all said the bigger waists are done so they can be easily washed and laundered and lived in.
What! I love that. Although this pant is dry clean only 54% cotton 23% wool 23% acrylic, sounds like it'd be fine in the machine on gentle in a garment bag

catchh

Reaction score
I find this true for a lot of their stuff, most of it is relaxed, but it shrinks overtime with washes. I’ve learned to embrace the relaxed fits they have and know over the years it will kind of shape itself out.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads