• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Margaret Howell/MHL

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Any reason in particular?

too boring basic work wearish with coarse fabrics

when i first handled mainline about ten years ago it was great, i don't think i ended up coping any of the saddle crew neck jumpers because i had already amassed so many by that time but i do have a buttoned shirt and i believe a cashmere shawl cardigan that is rather lovely...the shirt ended up having some dodgy stitching that has unraveled all over the place shockingly enough

anyhow when i got to handle mhl i was severely disappointed but keep in mind that's having the frame of reference to mainline and in my humble opinion there was absolutely nothing special about mhl but that may have changed now

OccultaVexillum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Has anybody here bought anything recent?
I want a relaxed top like the mainline oversized shirt, MHL painters shirt or oversized work shirt but not sure on sizing.
I think I’m between L and XL now but still want a relaxed fit, best to get a Large in these?

side note: if you’re selling XL/Large tops or Large pants I’m looking.
Especially the older “narrow tapered trousers” or newer “tapered pants”. As well as mainline blazers.

winston86dit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m glad you bumped this because I was just wondering why a thread for Howell’s clothing doesn’t exist and now I know, it does!
Ive bought a handful of things this season but not the painters shirt. Typically though, I size down in the shirts and they’re still plenty oversized. Just got this seasons corduroy jacket in a small and that thing is perfectly oversized.

slvth

Reaction score
Yeah as a general rule I find mainline is TTS but usually size down 1 across the board with MHL. The only exception I've found to that with shirting is the MHL band collars which are more TTS.

NO MERCY

Reaction score
I generally size down from M to S for MHL, and stay tts for mainline unless there is some verbiage about "oversized" or "relaxed" fit, in which case I go to the measurements.

Recent pick ups:
the boxy polo knit (highly recommend)
assym collar shirt
couple colors on the wide leg joggers (some diff details from prev iterations - elastic and drawstring waist, pocket embellishment stitching/reinforcement).

OccultaVexillum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I’m glad you bumped this because I was just wondering why a thread for Howell’s clothing doesn’t exist and now I know, it does!
Ive bought a handful of things this season but not the painters shirt. Typically though, I size down in the shirts and they’re still plenty oversized. Just got this seasons corduroy jacket in a small and that thing is perfectly oversized.

Can i ask what you got from this season?
I'm looking at the wool bedford tapered trousers and MHL wide hem trousers in Ink or Cord.
And then either a mainline odd pocket shirt or MHL oversized work shirt and painters shirt.

@NO MERCY How do you like the joggers? I have some old ones (maybe 2014?) but have been wanting a similar kind of pant in cream/ecru to wear with suede slippers or grey birks

NO MERCY

Reaction score
The joggers are good. I have them in a bunch of diff colors and fabrics from previous years. The latest iteration--the "wide leg jogger"--has some refinements which I really like (the elastic + drawstring waist particularly), and the cut works for me.

I've been looking closely at the "pull up trouser" in natural denim and the cut looks very similar to the joggers. The main diffs seem to be the addition of a fly (functional?), on-seam side pockets, a little hip pocket, and a two rear pockets as opposed to one.
The denim might be heavier than you're looking for though.

winston86dit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can i ask what you got from this season?
I'm looking at the wool bedford tapered trousers and MHL wide hem trousers in Ink or Cord.
And then either a mainline odd pocket shirt or MHL oversized work shirt and painters shirt.

Yea of course.
I got the patch pocket jacket in heavy corduroy, offset placket shirt, seamless guernsey sweater, single pocket crew sweater, wide neck sweater, and the MHL tapered trouser.
So far, I absolutely love all of it but my stand outs are the patch pocket jacket and the tapered trouser. First of all, I'm a sucker for corduroy (I have my eye on the matching wide hem trouser), but the jacket is a great weight, really comfortable, and perfectly oversized while looking nice and proper. The trouser on the other hand is nice and sturdy in the cotton drill fabric, the taper is perfect for my frame with it being more of a straight taper and not too slim, which I appreciate. The top block is nice too, with it being a higher, true waist and having just a bit of room, which is perfect with a belt.
I've always been impressed with Howell's clothing. The fabric choices, the fit, the sturdiness, and the ease of it all make for such beautiful clothing that just blends with any wardrobe.

OccultaVexillum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
thanks dudes. Howell has always been one of my favourites, I used to buy a lot but over the last 3 or so years all I’ve bought were some saddle necks and accessories. But lately it’s all I’ve really wanted to wear, and now I’ve become more interested in MHL just for the utility of it.

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Beautiful video. Unfortunately, it seems like the price point of her clothing keeps steady pace with salary development... Otherwise, I would be very happy to wear nothing but Howell.

winston86dit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Beautiful video. Unfortunately, it seems like the price point of her clothing keeps steady pace with salary development... Otherwise, I would be very happy to wear nothing but Howell.
It's funny you say that because I'm constantly impressed by the quality to price ratio of most Margaret Howell pieces. I feel like they're all super sturdy, easy, and really beautifully made. I've yet to find another brand I like as much at the same price.

OccultaVexillum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Alright cool cool cool. I just ordered the indigo workshirt and some chalk joggers from last summer (I believe?).
I want to grab a bunch of the current season stuff but it's too hot here for that now.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads