1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

MARGARET HOWELL Fall/Winter 2013

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by sipang, Sep 17, 2013.

1. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

March 2013 WSJ article: The Cult of Margaret Howell

"There will always be a small group of people that like the feel of the clothes more than the outward statement of fashion." - MH

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 17, 2014
    3 people like this.
  2. Caveat

Caveat Senior member

X-post from WAYWT. You can't imagine have soft this jumper is. It's like a cloud.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7 people like this.
  3. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

There's one left in my size at Inventory... or did you get it from somewhere else?

4. Caveat

Caveat Senior member

Yeah, mine is the navy version but same one. I got mine from the MH web shop.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2014
  5. irbe

irbe Senior member

6. gettingshirty

gettingshirty New Member

mmm.. that's a pretty confident statement for such a young jedi master. :) As a student Margaret started making jewellery and as a graduate Mens Shirts. That was the design seed that built the oak tree. It is not surprising that it is generally female fashion customers who would have such curious views of one collection being so much stronger than the other. It kind of works the other way too though, MH men seem to like things to be a little more understated and it is intentionally off the fashion radar. Fortunately design creation is not conceived as a competition of who blows who out of the water. The good thing about Margaret is she thinks universally and knows that the mens traditions of manufacture and design-engineering, with a foundation for quality craftsmanship, provide a sound platform to adapt her womenswear collections. Apart from the couture houses, the manufacture of womens designer clothing is often pretty ropey and poorly made. I personally teach aspiring, young womenswear fashion apprentices how to bluff on a pocket in the traditional bespoke way of mens suiting traditions. That is an important learning key. And finally just to balance things a little, in the last 10 years Margaret has been nominated three times by the British Fashion Council for Mens Designer of the Year, (surprisingly none for her Womens) so has a pretty secure footing in both camps, or water troughs considering your eye-catching comment :)

Last edited: Mar 25, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  7. Foxhound

Foxhound Senior member

8. ike_hiking_boots

ike_hiking_boots Senior member

anyone have any luck at the sample sale?

I didn't : (

9. ike_hiking_boots

Does anyone have a Navy Shirt Blazer in size Large they would like to sell? Please PM me if you do.

10. sipang

sipang Senior member

Not disagreeing with this. Just to be clear, Im talking about the collection as a collection--presented on a runway and viewed through jpegs on the internet etc. Within those parameters, I still find womens 2013 visually/aesthetically stronger as a whole than mens 2013. Doesn't really matter.

11. sipang

sipang Senior member

4 people like this.
  12. gettingshirty

gettingshirty New Member

sure, understand and yep it doesn't really matter as everyone has an opinion. It seems from this post you are referring only to the fashion shows and specifically to 2013 and via jpegs on the internet, though your original comment said "womens blows mens out of the water and that is pretty much always the case" certainly relying on jpegs on the internet is not the best way to assess clothes designed and manufactured by margaret howell. Its not that sort of a collection, much better to look up close, touch the materials and discover the hidden interiors are important too.

13. LonerMatt

LonerMatt Senior member

Life goal: visit a MH store.

14. gettingshirty

gettingshirty New Member

From Warrnaambool, the closest MH stand alone store geographically is Japan. (Jinnan Flagship) . For wholesale Adorno in Auckland sell MH womens, and Everyday Needs in Auckland sell's MH Homewear and small accessories (This is a great shop) and Fabric in Auckland sell MHL line. The Flagship shop in Wigmore St. London would offer the closest ambience to what Margaret is about as a designer, creator and retailer.

15. ike_hiking_boots

16. ManofKent

ManofKent Senior member

17. Superb0bo

Superb0bo Senior member

^^ yea I was surprised about the cropped pants. Like the jackets though.

18. ike_hiking_boots

Marion Foale for Margaret Howell 3 Ply Wool Guensey SS14

[​IMG]

This was a classic, but @ £500 I could not justify the price. Never went to sale and pretty much sold out. They've repeated it this season but in charcoal.

2 people like this.
  19. ike_hiking_boots

I am looking for one of these Classic Shirts from SS14 in a size Large:

[​IMG]

20. Caveat

Caveat Senior member

Did you try their mail order contact on their web page? If they can't find it, nobody can.