1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

MARGARET HOWELL Fall/Winter 2013

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by sipang, Sep 17, 2013.

1. Maxwellll

Maxwellll Senior member

No AW17 mens show this season?

[​IMG]

2. leeba

leeba Senior member

3. accordion

accordion Senior member

Should I size down on the narrow trousers? Thinking of getting one of the pairs on sale.

4. ike_hiking_boots

ike_hiking_boots Senior member

Why would you want to size down? I would go TTS.

5. malcb33

malcb33 Senior member

Based on my personal experience I wouldn't either. You'll loose a lot of the feel of the pant

Last edited: Feb 1, 2017
  6. zissou

zissou Senior member

They do tend to run large in the waist, though. I often take a small, and have the waist let out a tiny bit. Or, I could go with a medium and have it taken in for a fuller fit. I have a 33" waist, and the smalls are almost the perfect fit. I never wear anything else in small, ever.

7. sipang

sipang Senior member

Same experience here (with my one and only pair), measured waist is about 32" with a tagged size S or maybe even XS, figured it was mistagged or a sample but maybe not after all. Sorta high rising regular leg if that matters.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2017
  8. ike_hiking_boots

9. accordion

accordion Senior member

The waist isn't a huge deal, I'm more concerned about the rest of the pant. I have an idea of how they're supposed to fit and I'm not sure if I would get the same with sizing down. I'm usually a 34, deciding between M and L.

10. ike_hiking_boots

accordion: the chart I posted up is for the moleskin narrow trousers from AW14, the new narrow trousers fit a little smaller; there is a chart on the MH website. I can confirm this as I tried a couple of pairs on last week.

margarethowell.co.uk has had a refresh, some of SS17 has gone up.

11. zissou

zissou Senior member

So, I have three pairs of narrow trousers that need hemming- grey moleskin, indigo linen, and khaki cotton. I'm trying to figure out how and at what length I want them hemmed. I really don't do the cropped look at all, and I don't want them to wind up looking like a generic pair of biz cas trousers. Any advice?

Or, should I just do a tiny hem and roll them? Or cuff them long?

Black rolled
    [​IMG]

Moleskins rolled
    [​IMG]

Cotton rolled
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
  12. Superb0bo

Superb0bo Senior member

^ they all look fine rolled , which I guess suits your style? An alternative, which also seems very MH, is to hem them with a full, pretty sloppy, break. I would probably do that, and then roll them for days when a break feels too sloppy.

13. ike_hiking_boots

14. robinsongreen68

robinsongreen68 Senior member

i agree with bobo, sloppy break or roll is the way to go. the look above might work if you are a cool kid but for anyone older the bizcaz thing is a worry (esp in a khaki colour)

15. ike_hiking_boots

I digress, a finished cuff could look very nice on a pair of cotton khaki trousers, whatever your age.

Margaret Howell actually used to finish a lot of their trousers with a cuff like the one shown in post #453.

A sloppy break and roll on narrow trousers, especially with the heavier moleskin, doesn't work that well in my experience. One of the reasons you often see them rolled in these lookbook shots is because these are unfinished samples and they don't have time to hem the trousers for the photo shoot.

these BTW:

[​IMG]

are not narrow trousers.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
  16. zissou

zissou Senior member

I'll start with a sloppy roll and see how I feel. I rarely ever have the occasion or am in the environment to wear a suit, so I think a more causal look would do the trick. I might go with a cuff and sloppy break eventually. I'm really not into the whole short cuff look.

17. OccultaVexillum

OccultaVexillum Senior member

Any idea what the trainers used in the AW show are?
    Spalwart?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. conceptionist

conceptionist Senior member

Didn't know the collection had been shown yet and then I had some trouble finding it. Link here:
    http://www.londonfashionweek.co.uk/designers_profile.aspx?DesignerID=205

The long DB coat looks very solid. Versatile a probably warm enough for serious winters.
    Also feeling the pants without a front crease. Some kind of chino, moleskin or stretch fabric? Doesn't look like wool anyway. The brown version looks great.
    Digging the wide pants in the first look.

@OccultaVexillum

Not Spalwart, although their runner is very similar. I have a pair and am satisfied with them.
    You could also take a look at Novesta. Not them either, but again very similar and price a bit lower than Spalwart.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2017
  19. OccultaVexillum

OccultaVexillum Senior member

I've been thinking of getting a pair of Nike internationalists and just ID'ing the colour I want, or a pair of the suede off white W+H runners, but seeing these they looked decent and since MH footwear is always done in collaboration with somebody I figured I could find them now.
    Not a fan of Novesta at all, thanks though.

20. ike_hiking_boots

1 person likes this.