MARGARET HOWELL Fall/Winter 2013

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by sipang, Sep 17, 2013.

1. zissou

zissou Senior member

I've been considering a rollneck from Margaret Howell this season. I, of course, like the hand frame roll neck in merino wool.

[​IMG]

But am considering the MHL version in raw merino. I think it has a little more of a utilitarian feel, which I like.

[​IMG]

I hadn't seen it styled very well at all until browsing the Other Shop's site:

[​IMG]

2. zissou

zissou Senior member

Well, just went with the MHL version. Other Shop seems like a great shop. It was my first purchase from them.

3. irbe

irbe Senior member

barney warehouse has good deals.

4. accordion

accordion Senior member

Is the FW stuff not in yet for NA stores? None of the places I bookmarked - gravitypope, unionmade, creatures of comfort, la garconne, working title - has new stock.

5. jwalterweather

jwalterweather Senior member

Inventory
    Mr Porter
    Barneys

6. ike_hiking_boots

ike_hiking_boots Senior member

I have ordered a couple of items from barneyswarehouse in the past with no problems but just recieved a pair of trousers which were described as a size 34 and are clearly a size 32. Infuriating – how on earth do they think I'd get them on? Gutted, very nice pair of trousers.

Let's see how their customer services is. I expect to return them later this week.

Attached is a photo, if you wear a size 32 and are interested drop me a PM,

They are grey/black gross grain 100% wool. Made in Portugal.

I have added more info into the marketplace.

Barneys are picking these up tomorrow - full refund.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 1, 2014
  7. accordion

accordion Senior member

I know not everyone likes MHL but the shetland jumper from this season is seriously great, especially at sub $200. The details, fit, fabric, everything seems spot on.

8. ike_hiking_boots

I hadn't really looked at them, but they do look good, and at £125 they are great value. Most sizes are sold out now on the site.

I quite liked the look of the MHL Heavy Tweed Donegal Wool Jumper – but when I saw it in person it didn't really work.

9. jet

jet Persian Bro

MH is great, don't like mhl. Her knits are good too I wish south willard still carried her.

10. zissou

zissou Senior member

I like both for different purposes. My MH knits are exquisite, and my MHL knit (raw merino rollneck) is super utilitarian with a nice slouchy fit.

11. catchh

catchh Senior member

Got these cashmere gloves last season and wore them very lightly and casually. Only after a few months in, holes started to appear in them in both gloves. I told them about it last year and they paid $10 for a tailor to stitch it back together which was nice of them, but now the holes are even worse.

I expected better quality and for them to last longer than 1 season for the price I paid (around $120), sucks as I really liked them.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 11, 2014
  12. ike_hiking_boots

I'm not surprised you got holes in those gloves so quickly. Cashmere, although expensive, does not wear at all well.

I had several pairs of Paul Smith cashmere socks I picked up a few years ago, and they lasted about 5 minutes (I think the retail on them was £55, but I paid £8). I enjoyed wearing them though.

I don't think MH made a poor quality product, just a very poor choice of materials.

Regarding MH vs MHL:

I know Margaret is trying to position them as seperate brands. They have opened 2 standalone MHL stores in London, whereas before MHL was mixed in with the Mainline.

Main difference is fabrics and as Zizzou mentioned MHL is much more utilitarian, I have a pair of MHL trousers whcih are Garedening Trousers!

I personally prefer Mainline, but if you want the iconic Staff Jacket, it's MHL.

13. catchh

catchh Senior member

This was my first cashmere product so I did not know that, but yeah lesson learned.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2014
  14. irbe

irbe Senior member

Shame about the gloves. As much as I like cashmere I think it always seems so delicate

15. ike_hiking_boots

I love my cashmere, especially cashmere jumpers. I've had quite a few Pringle Cashmere jumpers which I've picked up at discount, but they all do the same thing, the elbows go through.

UNIQLO do good quality cashmere jumpers here for £80, and the quality is very good, maybe not Pringle, but Pringle are around £300, and you will get the same wear from them.

I think you get the best out of cashmere when it's mixed with other materials, the MH saddle crews do this – 70% Merino/30% Cashmere.