Marco Valentino Suits? Any thoughts/experience?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by JCM, Feb 26, 2008.

1. LesterSnodgrass

LesterSnodgrass Senior member

Same quality category? Are you kidding? A BB 346 maybe.

I disagree. My MV has held up well and looks good for the $300 tag. A BB 1818 is a better suit, but not so much so that a MV is more like a 346. That is my opinion, clearly others disagree.

In the end, having purchased both, I like the 1818 better, but I think much of that is because I paid more and it fits slightly better. I happily wear both. Neither is a Mercedes or a Civic.

To the OP: If you have the time and money, a Polo by Corneliani may pop up here on B&S, and that would be my first recommendation. If not, I think you'll be happy with the lower priced MV for occasional wear.

My $.02.

2. mindonhiatus

mindonhiatus Member

After reading every single post in this thread I'm still wondering, if my chest is 36" (without inhale/exhale)- would I need a 34, 36 or 38 M. Valentino (euro-cut)??? My shoulders are not very broad, maybe 17.5" - 18".

3. dclloyd

dclloyd Senior member

After reading every single post in this thread I'm still wondering, if my chest is 36" (without inhale/exhale)- would I need a 34, 36 or 38 M. Valentino (euro-cut)??? My shoulders are not very broad, maybe 17.5" - 18".

I'd guess a 36, but your best bet would be to email Jeff with all your measurements and get his opinion. My chest is measured 38 and the 38R fits me perfectly. Other than collar roll (which I always have) and hemming the pants I didn't need any further alterations. Be warned, as others have posted, the pants fit slim! I didn't need to have them let out, but it was close!

4. matsuya

matsuya Senior member

I want to get a M. Valentino suit but I'm not sure what size to get. I like slim-fitting btw. I'm 5'8" 150 lbs, 37/38 chest, relatively broad shoulders and 30 inch waist.

5. JTA

JTA Senior member

If your actual chest is 37-38 then get the 38. Tape it down is easier.
    Try to contact Jeff, he might be able to give you the trousers with 30" waist.

6. matsuya

matsuya Senior member

If your actual chest is 37-38 then get the 38. Tape it down is easier.
    Try to contact Jeff, he might be able to give you the trousers with 30" waist.

Are the trousers regular rise?

7. dclloyd

dclloyd Senior member

Are the trousers regular rise?

Shorter rise ... on mine (38R) the rise is about 10 - 10.5"

8. mindonhiatus

mindonhiatus Member

What are your opinions on either of these suits? Item number: 110339837520\t Item number: 120386453766 I know now that most of you aren't big fans of black suits (although I currently don't have a single one, so I WOULD like to add one to my wardrobe), but that aside, what do you think of the quality? The charcoal one on the other hand is super 150s wool (which I know has it's pro's and con's) as opposed to the black being 140s, and I know that charcoal is a more versatile color.

9. free man

free man Senior member

Get a real valentino from ehaberdasher for $300, not this silly 'Marco Valentino'

10. dclloyd

dclloyd Senior member

Get a real valentino from ehaberdasher for $300, not this silly 'Marco Valentino'

Obviously you've checked out/owned the Marco Valentino personally to make a broad comment about them being 'silly'?

Also - where do you see a 36R "real valentino" on ehaberdasher? I've searched but can't seem to see it?

11. dclloyd

dclloyd Senior member

What are your opinions on either of these suits? I know now that most of you aren't big fans of black suits (although I currently don't have a single one, so I WOULD like to add one to my wardrobe), but that aside, what do you think of the quality? The charcoal one on the other hand is super 150s wool (which I know has it's pro's and con's) as opposed to the black being 140s, and I know that charcoal is a more versatile color.
    Between the two I'd go for the Charcoal - as you point out it's a much more versatile colour. I actually purchased the 38R version of the same one recently and (for the money) it's actually quite nice.

12. Limniscate

Limniscate Senior member

I have 37-38" chest and 17-18" shoulders and got a 36S. The jacket fits great. The pants are really slim though. I wish I could have gotten the pants from the 38 with the 36 jacket, but alas, Jeff doesn't do that. I'm 5'8.75", 152 lbs..

13. dclloyd

dclloyd Senior member

I have 37-38" chest and 17-18" shoulders and got a 36S. The jacket fits great. The pants are really slim though. I wish I could have gotten the pants from the 38 with the 36 jacket, but alas, Jeff doesn't do that. I'm 5'8.75", 152 lbs..

What's the actual waist measurement on the 36 suits? I just measured my 38R and it's about 16.5".

14. Limniscate

Limniscate Senior member

On the pants? I'm not sure. I have a 31" waist.

15. matsuya

matsuya Senior member

I have the same measurements as you and have a 30/31" waist. Should I go for the 36S? What's the proper way to measure your shoulders? The 36S suit comes with 30" pants? Did you have to let them out a lot?