Marco Valentino Suits? Any thoughts/experience?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by JCM, Feb 26, 2008.

1. Sanguis Mortuum

Sanguis Mortuum Senior member

I've been on the net way longer than you

[​IMG]

2. jamesyl

jamesyl Member

I'm interesting in purchasing an M. Valentino as my second suit (just graduated college). I'm wondering how the cut of M. Valentino compares with "low-end" brands like H&M or Banana Republic, as I've never tried an Isaia, Corneliani, DG, Zegna, etc., so those comparisons don't really mean much to me.

I'm mostly concerned about the pants. I don't like baggy pants but on the other hand I don't like the pants too skinny either. Just looking for a reasonably-modern slim cut.

3. ryoneo

ryoneo Senior member

I'm interesting in purchasing an M. Valentino as my second suit (just graduated college). I'm wondering how the cut of M. Valentino compares with "low-end" brands like H&M or Banana Republic, as I've never tried an Isaia, Corneliani, DG, Zegna, etc., so those comparisons don't really mean much to me.

I'm mostly concerned about the pants. I don't like baggy pants but on the other hand I don't like the pants too skinny either. Just looking for a reasonably-modern slim cut.

The cut of MV is more slim than BR and similar to H&M's slim line. MV is an incredible value and has soft shoulders and canvassed. The only crappy thing about them is their god awful plastic buttons that they give you. The pants are pretty slim, not baggy at all. If you email Jeff and say your from the forum, he can drop the price for you. Good luck.

4. erdawe

erdawe Senior member

Yeah, the snakes in the hair tend to take it a little over the top. [​IMG]

Any idea who painted the portrayal of medusa in the av?

5. JTA

JTA Senior member

The cut of MV is more slim than BR and similar to H&M's slim line. MV is an incredible value and has soft shoulders and canvassed. The only crappy thing about them is their god awful plastic buttons that they give you. The pants are pretty slim, not baggy at all. If you email Jeff and say your from the forum, he can drop the price for you. Good luck.
    MV is not as slim as H&M but offers a better value than H&M or BR. A very good workhorse suit (half canvassed) and suitable for business and casual environment. Nevertheless bear in mind that every OTR suits will need to be taken to tailor to fit one's body, that's when you tape it into slimmer cut according to one's size. Fabric is extremely soft and feels cool in the hand and lining is also beautiful (though it is polyester material). I think you could ask Jeff regarding the slim line of MV (Milan cut or something) that fits slimmer than the normal line. Overall it is one of the best bang for bucks suits (RTW with choices of colour and sizes) and if you are in the USA, Jeff is extremely helpful.

6. jamesyl

jamesyl Member

If the pants are too slim is there extra fabric to bring them out?

7. Flambeur

Flambeur Senior member

Interesting.. I might want to try out one of those

8. Limniscate

Limniscate Senior member

There is extra fabric to let out. The pants are slim fitting for me in the seat. I'm 5'8.75", 153 lbs., 31" waist, 37" chest.

9. LesterSnodgrass

LesterSnodgrass Senior member

IMO, MV suits are a good value/quality purchase. I get as many compliments for my MV suits than I do for my BB 1818 (and I put them in the same quality category). I have a couple that I use for business travel and they are perfect for that purpose. I wear them proudly in the office, too. Clearly there are far better suits available, but for that price point, you can't lose.

edit: FWIW, I am 5'8", 145-150 lbs, 31" waist. I wear a 38s in MV. The shoulders/armholes could be a bit higher, but the suit still looks quite nice.

10. crpz32

crpz32 Senior member

I agree with the above poster. MVs are definitely a good value.
    However, he has a new "slim" cut line, and these you should order one size larger.
    I usually wear a 38S, but had to purchase a 40S for this style.

And if you're pretty slim, do NOT purchase a Baroni. Baroni's have way bigger arm holes and are not geared for the slim folks.
    I got a few MVs...maybe I'll post some pix when I get a chance.

11. mylesmyles

mylesmyles Senior member

i purchased an M. Valentino suit a few weeks ago and finally got it back from the tailor. it fits great but the one thing i notice is the leg opening seems to be a tad wide. did anyone else notice this? it's not a big deal; i plan on bringing it back to my tailor and having it brought in slihtly, but considering the slim cut through the hips/thighs im surprised the cut isn't slimmer in the lower half of the pants.

12. JoeWoah

JoeWoah Senior member

Hollywood for Ugly People... Washington, DC
    IMO, MV suits are a good value/quality purchase. I get as many compliments for my MV suits than I do for my BB 1818 (and I put them in the same quality category). I have a couple that I use for business travel and they are perfect for that purpose. I wear them proudly in the office, too. Clearly there are far better suits available, but for that price point, you can't lose.

edit: FWIW, I am 5'8", 145-150 lbs, 31" waist. I wear a 38s in MV. The shoulders/armholes could be a bit higher, but the suit still looks quite nice.

Same quality category? Are you kidding? A BB 346 maybe.

13. badbacon

badbacon New Member

Hi all. I've been scouring these forums over the last couple weeks; what a great resource. I have a couple questions i'm wondering if you might be able to help with...

Basically, I'm trying to decide between a BB Fitzgerald suit for $575 (including 25% F&F and 15% BB Card) and the Wizard's M. Valentino for ~$300. I'm 5'9", 145lbs, 30" waist. I tried on a 38S Fitz: the shoulders fit well, but I'd definitely have to take some material out of the chest/mid-section. So, with respect to the MV, what are your thoughts on...

1) Fit. Crpz32 mentioned a new slim line cut. I see two cuts on the eBay site:
    Is one of these fits more slim than the other? How do each of them compare to the Fitz? I'd prefer to avoid the ticket pocket, but I'd probably deal with it if it came with a slimmer cut.

2) Value. The Fitz costs 2x the MV. Is it worth it? I'll be wearing this suit once every few months for business and casual occasions. I work closely with marketers in my day job, so I'm particularly sensitive to being fooled: I don't want to pay 2x just so that I have a name brand on my tag. So, I'd like your thoughts on value and quality.

Thanks for your help! The BB F&F sale ends tomorrow, so I have a lot of thinking to do in just a little time! Cheers!

14. JoeWoah

JoeWoah Senior member

Hollywood for Ugly People... Washington, DC
    I was PM'ed for my opinion, so here it is...

You can buy those suits at Men's Warehouse, 2 for $199. They're about $100 on Overstock.
    They are made in China and say "Designed in Italy", like that means something. They also go by many names, but it's all the same thing.

... you get what you pay for.

Buy from a real designer. You are not a child anymore. Leave them to 17 year olds wearing them to their high school graduation party. If you're dealing with people who know a thing or two about the finer things, they'll be able to sniff out your cheap suit without ever seeing your label. Ask anyone here... Do you despise poorly dressed people?

Even if you are going to be wearing it once in a blue moon, you are much better off purchasing a real solid suit and building your wardrobe from there rather than buying shoddy stuff at first and then having to toss it once you smarten up. Even though they're cheap, they will ultimately prove to be a waste of money that you'll never get back.

By the way, BB was having an 1818 RTW event not too long ago. 2 for $799. That's a steal. J. Press has a really good sale right now. 25%- 45% percent off! They throw in free tailoring... which is about $150 for an entire suit if you're picky like me.

I have one Baroni suit, not an MV, but they're the same thing made by the same people. I bought it before I discovered this site. I bought it because it was $100 and figured, what the hell. Now, I only wear it on a snow day because it's one of the only things in my closet I couldn't care less about. Hell, the tailoring, ties and shirts I wear with that suit cost more. It's not a bad suit and it doesn't look cheap (because it's well tailored) but still.

One other thing, don't discount the power suit (for those that don't wear suits often) because you can't discount a power suit at all. What gives a suit the power to make you feel good is that it's, in some way, special. If it was expensive and tailored to fit like a glove, you feel pretty confident. If it was cheap, then it's just another article of clothing.

You can modify a Honda Civic all day long, it will never be a Mercedes. In the same vein, a Civic will never give you the feeling of owning the road like a Mercedes could either.

15. crpz32

crpz32 Senior member

I was PM'ed for my opinion, so here it is...

You can buy those suits at Men's Warehouse, 2 for $199. They're about $100 on Overstock.
    They are made in China and say "Designed in Italy", like that means something. They also go by many names, but it's all the same thing.

I just checked Overstock, and they have Mantonis and Fiorellis (lower end suits the Wizard also sells) at about the same price Wizard sells with SF discount. So I don't see how they would be selling Baronis or MVs for $100. I can't vouch for your Baroni, but my MVs do not look "cheap".
    Sure I think my fully canvassed canali is a lot better, but just by looking at me wearing the two suits, I doubt anyone can say the MV definitely looks cheaper. They fit and feel helluva lot better than some of my lower end (but more expensive) Hugo Boss suits that's for sure.

1) Fit. Crpz32 mentioned a new slim line cut. I see two cuts on the eBay site:
    Is one of these fits more slim than the other? How do each of them compare to the Fitz? I’d prefer to avoid the ticket pocket, but I’d probably deal with it if it came with a slimmer cut.

I don't think either of those are the slims ones. The "slimmer" ones all have the same type of lining with the vertical stripes and have the label "fabric by whoever". Like the ones below
    http://cgi.ebay.com/M-VALENTINO-SUIT...QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/M-VALENTINO-1595...713.m153.l1262

These you will have to buy one size higher.

I don't think anyone will accuse you of wearing a cheap quality suit if you are seen wearing a MV.
    I'm quite happy with mine. But then again, I'm not into finding bargains on Ebay! I believe Jeff offers a refund if you are not happy. Nothing wrong with getting a BB 1818 either. If you got the $, go for it!