March Magazines Are Out - What Are You Buying?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by PenManShip, Feb 16, 2012.

1. PenManShip

PenManShip Member

So far I've only received my GQ and have tabbed the following:

David Hart & Co. silk shantung ties - might get one of each since I love the design and look of the fabric
    Tender Buttons - to replace the (ugh) plastic ones on some of my jackets - love the sly fox style ones
    Fratelli Rossetti loafers in black - planning to wear with a smoking jacket I recently picked up

Haven't received my copy of Details or Esquire yet, anything I should be on the lookout for?

2. IndianBoyz

IndianBoyz Senior member

3. PenManShip

PenManShip Member

Yup, I look at magazines even when I'm not at the airport. Shocking, I know.

4. IndianBoyz

IndianBoyz Senior member

I'm proud of you, son.

5. TheTukker

TheTukker Senior member

I don't think that is his point.

6. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

Young clothing magazine writers learn from us, then toss in brand names so they get free clothes, shoes, trips and food, and other goodies.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2012

7. PenManShip

PenManShip Member

MOL, thanks for clarifying. I don't work in publishing. Just thought March (like September) was an important issue and might merit some discussion regarding spring fashion.

I have a sizable collection of vintage Esquire, GQ, Playboy, Life Magazine, etc. that I love to look through for inspiration. Well, most of them I look through, some I really don't open anymore since they are invaluable (and in many cases, crumbly.) I tend to only keep the September/March issues of the newer stuff unless something really stands out.

I also collect books produced by the above, one of my favorites is probably "Esquire's Handbook for Hosts" published in 1949. I bought it for $3.00 at a local flea market in perfect condition and discovered it had an original dance card inside from a 1920's society club.

Anyway, guess this isn't the right sort of discussion for the internet age. Let the memes continue!

8. QuadrupleMonks

QuadrupleMonks Member

I've never seen Tender Buttons, but those David Hart & Co. shantung ties look amazing! I'm definitely picking a few up the next time I'm in Bergdorf or Saks.

9. Shiny

Shiny Senior member

Except the people here seem to be around 200lbs or more. Have you checked out WAYWN?

10. Mister F

Mister F Active Member

Yeah. That's why I keep my Playboy collection too.

11. PenManShip

PenManShip Member

"I buy it for the articles" wasn't working. Is it telling my wife believes I read it for the fashion?

Speaking of Playboy, just picked up the Playboy - Helmut Newton hardcover book. Highly recommended. [​IMG]