• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Marc jacobs

sucka d

Reaction score
I just wanna know what guys think of him.

From reading many posts about him in here, it seems he gets no love. And i could expect that from many people in the know on fashion. People tend to go against the grain because after all, the industry says we all have to kiss Marc Jacob's ass (or tom ford for that matter) But you know, he gets all that attention for a reason, and thats sheer talent in his craft.

I personally like the guy's clothes. Especially his recent designs for Louis Vuitton. The quality is much more better than the other fashion houses out there and the designs are very classic, simple, yet very fashionable.

kalra2411

Reaction score
I personaly do not like Marc Jacobs menswear, his womens wear is okay.Tom Ford and Hedi Slimane are both very good for mens

hermes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i think he has grown as a designer from his days as a solo american designer to now the design director at louis vuitton with his own label - i think he's got an understated style and is underrated

he actually doesn't like doing men's wear, he admits so himself

there is actually a nice article on marc jacobs, called 'being marc jacobs' in the september 2003 issue of british esquire for those who would like to know more

Nick M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looking at some of his fashion shows on Firstview, I'm incredibly underwhelmed by the designs. Oh look, a three-button suit. Oh look, a v-neck sweater. Oh look, a beige raincoat. *YAWN*

Supposedly the fabrics are quite nice - but given that I'd be paying a designer-label markup price, I'd probably want something, design-wise, that's a little distinctive, and not something that's been done every year, by every mid-level department store, for the past forty years or so.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I find a few Marc Jacobs pieces to like, usually jackets, every season, but hardly ever buy any of them. I like his use of color and texture (He seems to like heavy twill a lot,) but nothing ever seems to fit me well.

His diffusion line is very ho-hum.

sucka d

Reaction score
I find a few Marc Jacobs pieces to like, usually jackets, every season, but hardly ever buy any of them.  I like his use of color and texture (He seems to like heavy twill a lot,) but nothing ever seems to fit me well.  

His diffusion line is very ho-hum.

Why doesnt his stuff fit you well?...What type of body do you have? It seems that marc jacobs stuff fits pretty well for lots of men. His clothing is not at all androgynous such as the designs we see from hedi, helmut, jil...

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am a fairly trim 5'11'' and 170 lbs (and take a 32 pant, sometimes 33 since I like them looser, although my love of the donut is starting to hurt me,) with fairly wide but sloping shoulders and longish arms.) I fiind that MJ's clothes are a little too loose and boxy in the body, and that the arms are a little short.

Costume National and Helmut Lang usually fit me perfectly, and to a lesser extent, so do Prada, Jil (already on the boxy side) and Dior Homme (too skinny, even for me, most of the time.)

itzamazing

Reaction score
I find most of Marc Jacobs design to be rather ordinary...which I believe is part of his appeal. He has a cult-like following amongst some women...but to me a lot of his stuff looks like it belongs in Urban Outfitters.

sucka d

Reaction score
I am a fairly trim 5'11'' and 170 lbs (and take a 32 pant, sometimes 33 since I like them looser, although my love of the donut is starting to hurt me,) with fairly wide but sloping shoulders and longish arms.) I fiind that MJ's clothes are a little too loose and boxy in the body, and that the arms are a little short.  

Costume National and Helmut Lang usually fit me perfectly, and to a lesser extent, so do Prada, Jil (already on the boxy side) and Dior Homme (too skinny, even for me, most of the time.)
About MJ's clothes, i have never had the opportunity to buy  or even try on his jackets (there is a limited supply of his menswear in Hawaii and i havent been to NY or CA in a while, so my recollection hasnt followed me) What type of fitting and people do they complement? Are the shoulders narrow like Prada??? Just wanna know before i order them online. After a stint of weight lifting and push ups for only one year in regards to being on the varsity bball team, my shoulders have gotten broader and meaty ever since. Clothes havent fit me the same, esp labes like Prada, D&G, and Costume National. Gucci, Armani among others fit me well however.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads