• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Marantz 2245 ? Anyone have one?

ms244

Reaction score
I got one of these old things today, apparently it cost somewhere in the $450 range when new, about 35 years ago.

Its pretty dirty inside, and I don't think its functional (hooked up a speaker to it, no radio output?) but it turns on, has some pretty blue colors. Quick google search shows lots of rebuild info.

Anyone have one?

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ms244
I got one of these old things today, apparently it cost somewhere in the $450 range when new, about 35 years ago. Its pretty dirty inside, and I don't think its functional (hooked up a speaker to it, no radio output?) but it turns on, has some pretty blue colors. Quick google search shows lots of rebuild info. Anyone have one?
I still have a Marantz 2240. I bought it new when I was in college. I am thinking about using it again with the turntable.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've had plenty of vintage Marantz equipment over the years and the old stuff was built to last. I had the model one notch below this, the 2235 and it was built like a tank. Keep it, fix it, love it. Any repairs will be worth it.

ms244

Reaction score
I'm looking at repair info as I type this.

The main caps don't look bad. I don't see anything blatantly wrong with it except the fuse holder in the back the bulkhead screw broke ($1.50 part). The lights don't work on the two dials, and I think the volume pot needs some looking at. The top boards are dirty, it sat outside for a few days and it rained a little.

Who knows how long and where it sat prior to this. A little compressed air and a can of electric cleaner should fix the dirt. The underside electrical looks pretty clean.

I can turn it on, but no sound out of the speakers.

I left my multimeter in the garage (also, anything other then the screwdriver that came with my BMW). I own just about every tool man can imagine, and I don't have a set of screw drivers in my apt.

Sherman90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My main receiver is a Marantz. The puppy is mint and sounds gorgeous

amnesiac

Reaction score
I have a 1060 integrated amp. It's rated at 30 watts RMS but it puts out clean to the max volume. Powered all of my parties in college with it and it never even got hot.

MrGoodBytes

Reaction score
wait that model number is familiar... lol, yes I own the identical model.

I absolutely LOVE that receiver.... its been the dedicated woodshop radio in my dad's basement for 30 some years. Its been a few years since its last been turned on, I can't remember but something became slightly flaky with it and it needs some light servicing.

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite pair of shoes to wear with jeans? (Choose two)

• Boots (Chelsea, Chukkas, Balmorals, etc.)

• Loafers

• Work boots (Red Wing, Wolverine, etc.)

• Monk strap shoes

• Oxford / Derby shoes

• Sneakers

Results are only viewable after voting.