• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Manual Transmissions...

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
...Are they going to be a thing of the past in the next several years?

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In America maybe. In Europe absolutely not. For that reason I think it will always be possible to get manual transmissions on at least Euro imports.

Sport-shifts on cars like Subarus are really nice, though I've always wondered if they can give the same power boost as a manual transmission.

hhenryhhh

Reaction score
My first car was a 6 speed. I really miss driving it. I definitely think it's a dying art in America and it's definitely a novelty for a lot of people.

I couldn't care less about how fast and accurately these new sophisticated automatic transmissions can shift (or the improved gas mileage), it's still not as fun as driving a little ************* and running through the gears on a nice open ribbon of road.

Last edited:

Arthur PE

Reaction score
for over 30 years I've only owned a manual, 4 speed, then 5, and onto 6
probably 800k miles or so

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First car was a 5-sp.

I miss it and the manual gear changing immensely. I have to say that if/when I have a family and move out of NYC I probably won't have the patience to change gears with kids in the car/etc on a daily driver or family mover.

Weekend or "me" car will definitely still be a manual.

Last edited:

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Car I learned on had "three on the tree." That was fun.

lefty

Arthur PE

Reaction score
my wife is one of the few (or vey few) women that drive a manual

my nieces call them '3 pedal cars', lol

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
6 speed here although my next car will probably be a DCT

lmaligaya

Reaction score
I have been driving on manual since I was 16, about 9 years ago and I won't have it any other way if I can help it. Enjoy the manual trans while you can. I have owned an Integra, S2000, Forester, and 3 series wagon in stick. My current car is a X5 in speed manual. As long as the demand in europe is there, I think manual will be around for another 10-15 years. There used to be the argument that manual was faster, lighter, and less maintenance but that is not quite the case anymore with the current crop of DCT/SMG's.

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I currently have all manual cars and enjoy them.

It used to be the manual was the faster option. Now with the current generation of DCTs the manual is slower. If all i cared about was going fast, I'd get DCT. The reason I enjoy driving manual so much is driving slow. There's nothing quite like a nice relaxed drive while getting every single gear change and rev-matched down shift perfectly correct and smooth.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I currently have all manual cars and enjoy them.
It used to be the manual was the faster option. Now with the current generation of DCTs the manual is slower. If all i cared about was going fast, I'd get DCT. The reason I enjoy driving manual so much is driving slow. There's nothing quite like a nice relaxed drive while getting every single gear change and rev-matched down shift perfectly correct and smooth.

This. There is a beauty in knowing your cars performance and working it all out in your head and eventually have it become a subconscious and effortless action.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

my wife is one of the few (or vey few) women that drive a manual

my nieces call them '3 pedal cars', lol

My wife's daily drive is a BMW M-Coupe.
It was hellish teaching her many years ago but she likes it now.

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^
+1

Nothing like knowing how to rev match on a manual transmission.

Blipping the throttle and hearing the engine respond with a perfectly smooth downshift :drool:

KurtS90

Reaction score
I strongly prefer a manual and always try to find one when car shopping... Very hard to do when shopping used in America. The few times I came close to buying new, a manual had to be special ordered.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads