Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Manual Transmissions...

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Tck13, Apr 26, 2012.

1. david3558

david3558 Senior member

HAHA this is so true, I'd say it's the same for kids who think they're in real-life Initial D too.

I had been looking at the E92 M3 with the DCT and one thing that deterred me from getting that awesome machine was that some friends had mentioned the transmission's high maintenance/replacement costs.

VTAK just kicked in yo!

Last edited: May 4, 2012

2. Blackhood

Blackhood Senior member

Surely a car that old and non-classc could be had for a few hundred bucks nowdays? Why not pick one up instead of a suit just for kicks?

In fact Autotrader shows that within 5 miles of me there are 25 available at under £600. It would cost more to fill the tank once per month than to buy the damn car!

3. Britalian

Britalian Senior member

auto transmissions and sport(-yish) cars are a kind of contradiction to me.

4. KurtS90

KurtS90 Senior member

Those damn mid 90's Civic go for a pretty penny in American. $1,500 for some beater that barely runs. $2,500 for a good looking runner and $800 for a shell.

Edit: we are talking 150,000+ mile cars

5. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

I bought one in '93. My first new car. 5 speed manual. Fuckers hold their value really well. I bought it for $10500 and sold it in '00 for $4500 with 107k miles. Bullet proof car. Buy a '93 today and you are guaranteed to have a trouble free ride.

Looked exactly like this, just look at those alloys:

[​IMG]

6. Blackhood

Blackhood Senior member

Good lord, I'd make a killing buying these things up at 80,000 miles for £500 and selling them in the US as classics! Most people here can't even give them away to friends as the insurance costs more than the car!

7. KurtS90

KurtS90 Senior member

Hell there's always a beige Toyota Corolla or Honda Civic mid 90's with about 70,000 miles for $4,999 at it's respective dealer...

8. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

I dont understand it, but there seems to be a real derision in the UK towards Honda.

Ok, so my 2nd ever car, before the Civic above, was a Carolla. Automatic. 1985 was the year on it, I think. Bought it in '91. Drove the fucker from DC to California.

9. KurtS90

KurtS90 Senior member

I think high school kids would love a RHD, it's Fast and Furious.

10. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

teen deaths would spike, ever tried to go from LHD to RHD? It's a bit tricky at first...

I had one of those Civics too, can't remember what I paid for it (this was right before they got overly expensive due to the 'tuning scene') but I had bothered my dad for months and he took me to this Lexus dealer like the week before I went to college, they had it on the lot and it was relatively clean, my dad paid cash and sent me on my way. I took it and mated it with my wrecked Integra GS-R and proceeded to waste a bunch of what was supposed to be my food money at college on it. Those were the good old days. My quest for rare JDM parts ended up leading me to Japan, where I am now, so in many ways, that was a good deal.

11. Trompe le Monde

Trompe le Monde Senior member

cant fully agree

but who knows...teens are quite dumb these days

12. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

The first time I did it was with start in central London during rush hour, no problem at all, my mother on the other hand covered her eyes until Brompton road. :laugh:

Manuals will always exist especially here in Europe, my idiot cousin can't drive an automatic, don't ask.

13. KurtS90

KurtS90 Senior member

I can barely drive an automatic... Get to damn bored and start playing with shit in the car. Distracting in a way. Plus I always bitch when a automatic changes gears.[

14. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

She doesn't understand how it works and is scared of driving one.

It should probably be said, that she is a shitty driver in a manual as well.

Just to show the level idiocy we are deal with, she said a couple years back (aged 23), that it wasn't to late for her 5x year old aunt to become pregnant.

Last edited: May 5, 2012

15. CBrown85

CBrown85 Senior member

93 Civic standard has been my daily driver for like seven or eight years. I think I've paid $1000 in maintence.