1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was. I'd like to keep you abreast of the improvements we've made over the past few days.
    @notification emails have been added, in response to user requests

Attached images are now Full Size by default

Users are now all allowed three (3) links in their signature files,

SSL certification is now in place so you can all browse securely.

The server has been reconfigured so that site speeds will improve.

Notice: Right now the site is slow because we are fixing all the images from the past 4 months. Many of you noticed that these were missing, and we are fixing that problem now. Unfortunately, it is taking up a lot of resources and causing the site to be slow.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Manton's Law

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Mar 7, 2013.

1. acridsheep

acridsheep Senior member

Grazing on the carcasses of less senior members

Luckily, the rest of the forum is intellectually rigorous and elite.

ETA: 2,000 posts!

Last edited: Mar 7, 2013
  2. bboysdontcryy

bboysdontcryy Senior member

^LOL. Maybe I should, eh. Write one on your exploits and I'll buy it. Maybe some day I'll bring it down to NY/DC and get signatures on it. I'm serious about being a book collector, though I'd say I collect older and more classic books -- I've acquired signatures on a few controversial books as well, including a first edition by Rushdie (no offense to anybody) in which I had him script out .... (don't want to step on toes here), a few Bond books, and probably more relevant to Americans -- Breyer in Active Liberty. Was darn awkward asking for a signature on that last book.

Manton, if I bring it down to DC, will you autograph it? You can put your name alongside Dopey's.

3. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

What he said.

4. emptym

emptym Senior member

While we're gathered together, let me take the opportunity to remind us that in American English, this is correct:

And this is not:

Periods and commas generally are placed within the quotation marks, again, for American English.
    Sorry. We all have our obsessions.

4 people like this.
  5. Augustus D

Augustus D Active Member

A garage queen is a car that spends most if its time in the garage after the purchase. It is pampered with Q tips and loving care..The owner may take it out only once in a while and will trailer the car to an event.

My favored marque is Porsche. Air cooled that is. I'm always on the hunt for garage queens and when I find one...... I turn it into a street whore.

1 person likes this.
  6. marblehouse

marblehouse Senior member

I believe they prefer the term working girl and should be likewise "pampered with Q-tips" and waxed until you can see your own reflection.

1 person likes this.
  7. Dempsy444

Dempsy444 Senior member

I find the members to be very knowledgeable about bespoke with a lot of experience. They have fewer members but those who are members tend to weigh in with good comments and feedback. The content to noise ratio is much better on LL than SF. To Manton's point one has to comb thru hundreds of idiotic comments to get to a kernel of content on SF.

LL tends to be more Puritan about "only bespoke" and you can tell the core group leans heavily to heavy English cloth. In this sense it is much more restricted than SF. Not too many members post pics of their commissions on LL so it's rare to see examples of work.

8. Bounder

Bounder Senior member

Pfft. You just don't appreciate the beauty of curly lapels. Oh, yes, you rave on and on about 3 roll 2 but as soon as someone shows a little creativity . . .

Apparently, I am keeping several "closet queens." :uhoh:

9. NOBD

NOBD Senior member

I've never understood that. British English is outside, like in your "this is not" examples?

10. Bounder

Bounder Senior member

Yes, typically. The British way makes more sense.

3 people like this.
  11. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member

A few heavy handed DH's would clean up the thread. Yeah, the graffiti will be on the wall the next morning for the first week or so, but eventually people will go elsewhere. The recent burst of good but not great fits in Good Taste has both hurt that thread as well as WAYWRN. It would be nice to see a few of the more obvious "mis-fits" migrate back over to WAYWRN.

I'm not saying that Good Taste > WAYWRN (though I'll say it now...it generally should be when the fits are averaged out), but WAYWRN has looser strictures and benefits from people exploring those broader boundaries. As is, there are simply way too many "how does this look/does this fit me" first time posters in that thread now.

Anyway...a shift from Machiavellian to Draconian (homeboy knew how to wear a toga) would be nice.

12. poorsod

poorsod Senior member

The counter example is Vox's Subjective and Totally Unfair thread. It stayed on topic while there were willing editors. Instead of trying to weed out the chaff, consider making a weekly digest of Manton's Approved but Completely Arbitrary Ensembles (TM). Once you embrace and demonstrate the fact that you will answer to no one, the whiners will go away (or at least fall on deaf ears).

13. acridsheep

acridsheep Senior member

Grazing on the carcasses of less senior members

You know, if you did your job in WAYWRN, you wouldn't need all the legislation. :)

14. Big Texas

Big Texas Senior member

From the standpoint of formal logic, I agree, the British punctuation style for quotations makes more sense. But it is ugly and inelegant. And this is America (fuck yeah). At any rate, E.B. White -- in many ways the Manton of American English, very prescriptive and very opinionated, but often wise -- favored the American style.

On the subject of the '96 Accord, I feel obligated to say that it was my first car. I would still be driving it to this day if a tree hadn't fallen on it some 12 years ago, crushing it like, well, like something crushed by a tree. I loved that car.

(It was a coupe, not a sedan).

15. NOBD

NOBD Senior member

Wut?

Never mind. That explains it.

1 person likes this.
  16. chogall

chogall Senior member

But Vox left.

17. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

18. Loathing

Loathing Senior member

All of you are wrong and make for extremely inept Grammar Nazis.
    The divide isn't between British and American systems. In both countries, both systems are used. The system called "logical punctuation" is slightly more prevalent in Britain, although both systems are widely used. If you go to a newspaper stand, you'll see one paper using the "logical" system, and another using the "inside" system. Incidentally, "outside"/"inside" are misleading labels for the respective systems. The logical system just as often places the punctuation on the inside of brackets/speech marks as it does on the outside -- it depends on the sentence; it's something you have to learn. The so-called "American" system is just a simplified version of the logical system, and it lacks the subtlety and flexibility of logical punctuation.

@Big Texas: your last sentence (in brackets) is incorrectly punctuated according to both systems. Congratulations on that.

19. NOBD

NOBD Senior member

Asking a question is wrong? :confused:

1 person likes this.
  20. Xiaogou

Xiaogou Senior member

And I thought for sure that you have a Prius.