Manton's Law

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Mar 7, 2013.

1. Fuuma

Fuuma Franchouillard Modasse

Dressing up isn't a videogame, you pull it off or you don't and every outfit brings back the same question.

2. acridsheep

acridsheep Senior member

Grazing on the carcasses of less senior members

I didn't read this, but I am pretty sure I agree.

3. acridsheep

acridsheep Senior member

BTW, this thread is one of my favorites already.

4. kcox68

kcox68 Senior member

While I disagree strongly with O'Sullivan's rather one-sided "law" (really a whine), I do agree that every thread, over the course of time, will devolve into vanity and flame-throwing. But that is the nature of just about any interaction that is not moderated either by authoritarian discipline (laws against free speech) or societal condemnation (racist comments causing a person to be ostracized). In the case of a lightly moderated, anonymous online forum, it is inevitable that this would occur with regularity.

Perhaps the lesson to be learned is that threads in a forum aren't meant to last forever, but are as ephemeral as their conduit. Once they have served their purpose, it's time to move on to another topic or restart a similar one. Especially at SF where threads can go on for tens of thousands of posts, this might be something to consider.

5. bertie

bertie Senior member

I think most normal social conversations involve two (or more) people saying things to each other without really being interested in what the other person has to say. That is why many such conversations involve people making self-evident statements to each other and thinking that is a conversation. Translated to a chat forum, the probelm gets compounded by
    1. the time factor (delays in seeing what another person writes)
    2. the anonymity factor (no accountability for own actions)
    3. disproportionately high number of people who seek validation (of opinions and self expression) rather than conversation

When these factors are combined, Manton's law seems inevitable.

6. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

You're missing the point.

If a thread is supposed to be about "X", it never stays about "X". Other people insist on introducing Y and Z as well, others say that X=A=B=C, while others prefer to ponder "What is X, anyway?" And still others like to declaim "how dare you say that D is not X?? Who are you to say what X is?"

Last edited: Mar 7, 2013

7. CaymanS

CaymanS Senior member

My mind is still blown over the fact that a man with several, several hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of bespoke clothing drives such a miserable car.

'96 Accord = not in good taste by any rational standard

Styleforvm members are getting their pents hand stitched in Napoli but eat tuna out of cans...smh

8. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

First of all, I hardly ever drive. Second, it's my "secondary" car. Third, it is a great car. Fourth, there is no way my bespoke purchases are in the multi-six figures. Fifth, I care about clothes but not about cars.

9. acridsheep

acridsheep Senior member

Don't be retarded. Truly wealthy people drive practical cars like this quite frequently. The suburban middle class dad, his dollar already stretched to the extreme, is the one who buys the luxury car.

My love for Manton has swelled with this additional piece of information.

10. TM79

TM79 Senior member

The CEO of IKEA drove (or still drives) a Volvo with 200,000+ miles on it.

Some people just aren't into spending a lot on depreciating assets that'll stop working someday. So weird, right?

11. philosophe

philosophe Senior member

My '96 Civic gave up the ghost last month.

12. bertie

bertie Senior member

i thought this was the love that went unspoken?

13. bboysdontcryy

bboysdontcryy Senior member

Today, I purchased this book and I shall seek to study it and apply the principles, and then post here. More seriously however, I've leaved through it, and it seemed engaging enough to me. I'd have liked an autograph, being the book collector I am.

[​IMG]

14. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

I agree with BigT for most internet users but would add a #3 in the case of a forum like Styleforum that there are people who come here and share because of their genuine enthusiasm. It may also have to do with the fact that many just don't know any other guys to talk to about these subjects so there is a certain "community". Not all of it is rooted showing off or seeking praise. Examples of the enthusiasm would be the many excellent how-to threads or sharing of resources which have been very helpful.

15. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Boxercise Toughguy

Manton, I like the threads you make - throwing this out there so you don't think I'm trying to troll you or otherwise disturb your plumage

Do you think that the Good Taste thread would be more, or less interesting if only strictly perfect Good Taste photos were posted? I think it's less. It would be like a radio talk show with two hosts who do nothing but agree with one another.

"Oh, you look great today."
    "Thank you, you do as well."
    "Well that's our show for today. Join us tomorrow for more cordial ball juggling."

To a degree, the Good Taste thread seems like a good place for people to post what they think is Good Taste, and for you and the other Good Taste Guys to pass judgment. Rinse, repeat. If not that, what would you like it to be?