• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Manton's book is out

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Manton's book, "The Suit: A Machiavellian Approach to Men's Style" (by Nicholas Antongiavanni) is out. I picked up my copy at Borders and read a few pages over lunch. It looks very promising so far, and I was struck by how much Neopolitan clothing is really structured for shorter people!

--Andre

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They told me at my local Barnes & Noble they'd be in tomorrow (Tuesday, May 23). I reserved one of the five copies they had on order. I think I'll wear my green blazer when I go to buy just because Manton doesn't like 'em!
devil.gif

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
They told me at my local Barnes & Noble they'd be in tomorrow (Tuesday, May 23). I reserved one of the five copies they had on order. I think I'll wear my green blazer when I go to buy just because Manton doesn't like 'em!
devil.gif

You've been holding out on us. I had no idea that you were so good at golf!
devil.gif

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quickly flipping through the book, it's mostly text. There are whimsical cartoon illustrations at the beginning of each chapter.

--Andre

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Andre Yew
Quickly flipping through the book, it's mostly text. There are whimsical cartoon illustrations at the beginning of each chapter.

--Andre

that's too bad. I'm sure the text is fantastic and full of great info, but a book about suits/clothes without a plethora of pics is like having the lyric sheet but not the record. sort of.

mr. magoo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
that's too bad. I'm sure the text is fantastic and full of great info, but a book about suits/clothes without a plethora of pics is like having the lyric sheet but not the record. sort of.

Doesn't that depend on how good the writing is? I haven't read it so don't know, but literature is full of books describing visual subjects without the aid of pictures. Good writing draws a better picture, in fact.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart

I would agree with that

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chorse123
And many good writers see pictures as something like an affront to their work, as if the words by themselves would suffice.

I don't think that was Manton's case though. If I remember correctly, he actually wanted to include many illustrations but his publisher did not allow that. Probably because of the additional cost?

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
Manton said himself he would have preferred full colour illustrations.

EDIT: Ah, okay, gdl203 said it seconds before I did.

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
I don't think that was Manton's case though. If I remember correctly, he actually wanted to include many illustrations but his publisher did not allow that. Probably because of the additional cost?

Ah yes, I remember that. It is very very expensive to include color illustrations and b&w pictures on plain stock often look muddy. Even with drawings, someone has to pay the artist....

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
Just received an e-mail from Amazon that my copy has shipped.

They predict I will have it on Thursday.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Woohoo, mine just shipped from Amazon. I wonder if Manton already has the illustrations that would have gone with the book, he could maybe put them up on a website somewhere
smile.gif

Alias

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I read it all. It's very, very good, even though it gets a bit wordy here and there (but since he was imitating Machiavelli I suppose that was the point.) If Dressing the Man is your Style 101 then consider The Suit to be Style 400.

The book does a wonderful job describing the proper dandy. There are some self-styled "dandies" out there who would do very well to read this book and correct their misguided attempts at elegance.

Oh, and there's a part about black suits.
laugh.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads