Manton's book is out

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by A Y, May 22, 2006.

1. A Y

A Y Senior member

Manton's book, "The Suit: A Machiavellian Approach to Men's Style" (by Nicholas Antongiavanni) is out. I picked up my copy at Borders and read a few pages over lunch. It looks very promising so far, and I was struck by how much Neopolitan clothing is really structured for shorter people!

--Andre

2. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

all text or are there any photos/illustrations?

3. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

They told me at my local Barnes & Noble they'd be in tomorrow (Tuesday, May 23). I reserved one of the five copies they had on order. I think I'll wear my green blazer when I go to buy just because Manton doesn't like 'em![​IMG]

4. Concordia

Concordia Senior member Dubiously Honored

They told me at my local Barnes & Noble they'd be in tomorrow (Tuesday, May 23). I reserved one of the five copies they had on order. I think I'll wear my green blazer when I go to buy just because Manton doesn't like 'em![​IMG]

You've been holding out on us. I had no idea that you were so good at golf! [​IMG]

5. A Y

A Y Senior member

Quickly flipping through the book, it's mostly text. There are whimsical cartoon illustrations at the beginning of each chapter.

--Andre

6. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

Quickly flipping through the book, it's mostly text. There are whimsical cartoon illustrations at the beginning of each chapter.

--Andre

that's too bad. I'm sure the text is fantastic and full of great info, but a book about suits/clothes without a plethora of pics is like having the lyric sheet but not the record. sort of.

7. mr. magoo

mr. magoo Senior member

that's too bad. I'm sure the text is fantastic and full of great info, but a book about suits/clothes without a plethora of pics is like having the lyric sheet but not the record. sort of.

Doesn't that depend on how good the writing is? I haven't read it so don't know, but literature is full of books describing visual subjects without the aid of pictures. Good writing draws a better picture, in fact.

8. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

And many good writers see pictures as something like an affront to their work, as if the words by themselves would suffice.

9. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I would agree with that

10. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

And many good writers see pictures as something like an affront to their work, as if the words by themselves would suffice.

I don't think that was Manton's case though. If I remember correctly, he actually wanted to include many illustrations but his publisher did not allow that. Probably because of the additional cost?

11. Jovan

Jovan Banned for Good

Manton said himself he would have preferred full colour illustrations.

EDIT: Ah, okay, gdl203 said it seconds before I did.

12. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

I don't think that was Manton's case though. If I remember correctly, he actually wanted to include many illustrations but his publisher did not allow that. Probably because of the additional cost?

Ah yes, I remember that. It is very very expensive to include color illustrations and b&w pictures on plain stock often look muddy. Even with drawings, someone has to pay the artist....

13. Bradford

Bradford Current Events Moderator

Just received an e-mail from Amazon that my copy has shipped.

They predict I will have it on Thursday.

14. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

Woohoo, mine just shipped from Amazon. I wonder if Manton already has the illustrations that would have gone with the book, he could maybe put them up on a website somewhere [​IMG]

15. Alias

Alias Senior member

I read it all. It's very, very good, even though it gets a bit wordy here and there (but since he was imitating Machiavelli I suppose that was the point.) If Dressing the Man is your Style 101 then consider The Suit to be Style 400.

The book does a wonderful job describing the proper dandy. There are some self-styled "dandies" out there who would do very well to read this book and correct their misguided attempts at elegance.

Oh, and there's a part about black suits. [​IMG]