• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Manton Must Be Having Aneurysms

Augusto86

Sean Penn's Mexican love child
Reaction score
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/05/wa...rssnyt&emc=rss

I have to wonder though, if the scion of what is essentially a WASPy American Royalty Connecticut family can really be so out of touch with what is traditional garb? Is it just more of his faux-populism or does he genuinely not care about these "genteel" traditions(I don't know much about them either, it just surprises me that such a privileged president wouldn't).

I don't particularly care for the supercilious tone of the article but it's still a study in contrasts...

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
White House aides say the state dinner in her honor is not only the social event of the year, but also of the entire Bush presidency
If that's how White House aides, feel . . . everyone had better dress for the occasion.

HKTenor

Reaction score
Equal opportunity pol bashing: Harry Reid supposedly declined to attend the dinner because he "isn’t much of a white-tail-at-dinner kind of a guy.” Good Lord I hope that's not the real reason he would snub the head of state of a major ally. They're both asses - (IMHO of course) nothing looks as good on a man as white tie and tails.

Augusto86

Sean Penn's Mexican love child
Reaction score
Politics is not really my interest here - hence not posting this in CE...

I just wonder why white tie would be such a big deal for a man who comes from such a wealthy background...I always wonder how much of Bush Jr.'s folksiness comes from acting and how much is genuine.

I'm not surprised about Harry Reid's comment either - the political tenor of the day seems to be to shun all forms of elitism, high society, and, dare I say, class. This transcends both sides of the aisle.

For further inquiries, look into Huckabee's "silk ties" comment. While it was intended as a critique of congress involving themselves in military affairs and also of the state of Defense Dept., there's no doubt the phrasing was intended as a populist touch.

I personally would like nothing more than for my leaders to be better-educated, better-spoke, and better-dressed than myself.

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
who comes from such a wealthy background...I always wonder how much of Bush Jr.'s folksiness comes from acting and how much is genuine.
Wealthy he is. I've read too, that GWB'S family is related to the Queen. Personally, I don't find GWB to be folksy. Anything but. I find his behavior to be upper crust, all the way. I don't care how he dresses, or whether or not he drinks water out of a bottle. The air of position and of money, is clear and consistent. From what I've read, this man has never cared much about clothes. Just not this thing.

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ivan Kipling
Personally, I don't find GWB to be folksy. Anything but.

Are you kidding? He's constantly playing up the populism with his homespun sayings and "Bush/Cheney 04: Farm and Ranch Team" bullshit.

At any rate, I think it's the more widespread fact that no one wears white tie in the U.S. anymore.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Someone named Nicholas Antongiavanni wrote an interesting piece about white tie, a long time ago, in another lifetime. "Bush. Texas. Cheeseburger."

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
Someone named Nicholas Antongiavanni wrote an interesting piece about white tie, a long time ago, in another lifetime. "Bush. Texas. Cheeseburger."

IIRC that guy plays pro ball for the New York Knickerbockers now.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
IIRC that guy plays pro ball for the New York Knickerbockers now.

I didn't know he bats for more than one team...
devil.gif

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would wager that The Queen works harder than anyone on this forum and everyone you know. You may question the value of her work, but saying she does nothing is ridiculous.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gorgekko
I would wager that The Queen works harder than anyone on this forum and everyone you know. You may question the value of her work, but saying she does nothing is ridiculous.

I agree.

Omegablogger

Reaction score
edmorel may I urge some caution. Talk like that will only lead to the SAS appearing on your doorstop, next thing you know you will wake up in the Tower of London, where you will be made to wear polo shirts with ties and ecco's all day long.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gorgekko

Chuck Norris works harder than everyone in the universe.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Omegablogger
edmorel may I urge some caution. Talk like that will only lead to the SAS appearing on your doorstop, next thing you know you will wake up in the Tower of London, where you will be made to wear polo shirts with ties and ecco's all day long.

I'd prefer Chinese water torture.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads