• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Manton fans may like Cary Grant book.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
Received this e-mail from Amazon today.

Anyone know anything about this upcoming Cary Grant book?

Dear Amazon.com Customer,

We've noticed that customers who have purchased The Suit: A Machiavellian Approach to Men's Style by Nicholas Antongiavanni also purchased books by Richard Torregrossa. For this reason, you might like to know that Richard Torregrossa's Cary Grant: A Celebration of Style will be released soon. You can pre-order your copy at a savings of 37% by following the link below.
Cary Grant: A Celebration of Style

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks very promising. The author has been posting on both the Film Noir Buff Style Form and the AAAC Forum. I am eager to get a copy.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
There was a thread on AA in which the author participated. He said it will have a lot of illustrations and is more of a full biography than just a style book. Beyond that, I don't know much, but I will buy it.

designprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks like one for the coffeee table! I came across a book called "Dressing in the Dark" which covers cinema fashion. On sale at the Ralph Lauren shop actually. Might be a good companion if you are into navigating the movie /style connection.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by designprofessor
Looks like one for the coffeee table! I came across a book called "Dressing in the Dark" which covers cinema fashion. On sale at the Ralph Lauren shop actually. Might be a good companion if you are into navigating the movie /style connection.

I have "Dressing in the Dark". It's got some good stuff in it. Lots of photographs and some decent writing. Don't know what they're charging for it at Ralph Lauren, but I found it at a used book store for $15. It's been out since '02 so I'm sure it's available on-line pretty cheap.

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have heard that dozens of never before seen photos, will be included in this new book. Edith Head considered Cary Grant to be the 'most perfect,' of the men that she had dressed, during her career. Anyone interested in another side to Cary Grant, might enjoy POOR LITTLE RICH GIRL, by C. David Heymann.
animated_book_guy.gif

richstyle

Reaction score
I'm the author of Cary Grant: A Celebration of Style, the first full-length biography that traces Grant's evolution as a style icon. Yes, it has rare and some never-before published photos and documents. Glad to see you discovered the book before I got here. Happy to answer any questions....

RT

richstyle

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ivan Kipling
I have heard that dozens of never before seen photos, will be included in this new book. Edith Head considered Cary Grant to be the 'most perfect,' of the men that she had dressed, during her career. Anyone interested in another side to Cary Grant, might enjoy POOR LITTLE RICH GIRL, by C. David Heymann.
animated_book_guy.gif

Hey, Ivan

What do you think of a Cary Grant look that is not really associated with him--it's a high-waisted sweater with pleated pants. I've seen it on many movie stars of the '30s and 40s. How exactly would you describe it? And do you think it's a look one might replicated today? I like the high-waisted sweater, which I guess is actually a vest, because it fits like one, but I haven't seen such sweaters in in any menswear shop. Have you or anybody else?

Tom Cruise seems to prefer sweater vests at times, but he's the only one. Any thoughts?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads