Manton fans may like Cary Grant book.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Bradford, Aug 21, 2006.

1. Bradford

Bradford Current Events Moderator

Received this e-mail from Amazon today.

Anyone know anything about this upcoming Cary Grant book?

Cary Grant: A Celebration of Style

2. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

Looks very promising. The author has been posting on both the Film Noir Buff Style Form and the AAAC Forum. I am eager to get a copy.

3. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

There was a thread on AA in which the author participated. He said it will have a lot of illustrations and is more of a full biography than just a style book. Beyond that, I don't know much, but I will buy it.

4. designprofessor

designprofessor Senior member

Looks like one for the coffeee table! I came across a book called "Dressing in the Dark" which covers cinema fashion. On sale at the Ralph Lauren shop actually. Might be a good companion if you are into navigating the movie /style connection.

5. Bradford

Bradford Current Events Moderator

Looks like one for the coffeee table! I came across a book called "Dressing in the Dark" which covers cinema fashion. On sale at the Ralph Lauren shop actually. Might be a good companion if you are into navigating the movie /style connection.

I have "Dressing in the Dark". It's got some good stuff in it. Lots of photographs and some decent writing. Don't know what they're charging for it at Ralph Lauren, but I found it at a used book store for $15. It's been out since '02 so I'm sure it's available on-line pretty cheap.

6. Ivan Kipling

Ivan Kipling Senior member

I have heard that dozens of never before seen photos, will be included in this new book. Edith Head considered Cary Grant to be the 'most perfect,' of the men that she had dressed, during her career. Anyone interested in another side to Cary Grant, might enjoy POOR LITTLE RICH GIRL, by C. David Heymann.
    [​IMG]

7. richstyle

richstyle Well-Known Member

I'm the author of Cary Grant: A Celebration of Style, the first full-length biography that traces Grant's evolution as a style icon. Yes, it has rare and some never-before published photos and documents. Glad to see you discovered the book before I got here. Happy to answer any questions....

RT

8. richstyle

richstyle Well-Known Member

I have heard that dozens of never before seen photos, will be included in this new book. Edith Head considered Cary Grant to be the 'most perfect,' of the men that she had dressed, during her career. Anyone interested in another side to Cary Grant, might enjoy POOR LITTLE RICH GIRL, by C. David Heymann.
    [​IMG]

Hey, Ivan

What do you think of a Cary Grant look that is not really associated with him--it's a high-waisted sweater with pleated pants. I've seen it on many movie stars of the '30s and 40s. How exactly would you describe it? And do you think it's a look one might replicated today? I like the high-waisted sweater, which I guess is actually a vest, because it fits like one, but I haven't seen such sweaters in in any menswear shop. Have you or anybody else?

Tom Cruise seems to prefer sweater vests at times, but he's the only one. Any thoughts?