Manti' Teo's Dead Girlfriend a hoax

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by 1969, Jan 16, 2013.

1. dcg

dcg Senior member

Big part of it is that he goes to Notre Dame, and everyone either loves or hates Notre Dame.

2. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

I'm indifferent to ND.

3. dcg

dcg Senior member

You don't count, harv

4. Reggs

Reggs Senior member

Got to say, as obnoxious as that Nev guy is, I really enjoyed that movie. The show is cheesy, but a guilty pleasure of mine.

5. embowafa

embowafa Senior member

Anyone who actively reads Deadspin knows that they will be the last people to ever claim to be a legitimate news organization.

That a punk sports blog can do better journalism than every other "legitimate news organization" out there is more a testament to the shitty quality of journalism as a whole.

6. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

I've been avidly following this business since its inception. From what I have been able to gather, Manti Te'o is now claiming that he was duped by Tuiasosopu (or however you spell it), but he told his family that he had met her three years ago and that they had been together in Hawaii--I guess so they wouldn't think he was such a fool to be carried away by an exclusively on-line romance. If this is the case, he is both a fool and a liar. I would have somewhat more respect for him if he were simply one or the other.

I still suspect that he was in on the hoax. I believe it is not too uncommon for guys to fall for hoaxes and scams of that sort, but usually they are nerdy, reclusive, loser types, NOT one of the very top college football players in the country. I should think he would have an over-abundance of local talent vying for his favors--certainly too much for him to be pining over a distant, on-line girlfriend.

Another thing that strikes me as strange (assuming Te'o was gulled) is that the name "Lennay Kekua" is suggestive of her being a fellow Polynesian, yet her image looks totally haole, and indeed, the real name of the girl whose image was used is O'Meara.

The hypothesis that he is in the closet and this is a cover-up seems very plausible to me.

Although some have argued the whole business is inconsequential, he did win at least one award in which "character" was supposed to be factor--hard to justify if he is a party to this hoax.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2013

7. Harold falcon

How is this journalism?

1. It's sports news, which is only slightly above entertainment news of which star is boning some other star.
    2. It's COLLEGE sports news, which is only slightly above which off-broadway actor is boning some other off-broadway actor.

This is news that is absolutely irrelevant. Absolutely irrelevant. It has zero value. It's the worst kind of fast good garbage news. Gawker and its whole brand can go "fuck itself."

8. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

Then you're not a fan.

9. Harold falcon

Correct.

10. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

Would LabelKing say that Teo has a gay face?

11. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

CNN had an at least four minute segment on this while I was in the gym. It was followed by an extended discussion of the Beyonce lip-syncing "scandal."

Hurray, news!

12. Reggs

Reggs Senior member

MAN AT CENTER OF TE'O HOAX SAYS HE WAS IN LOVE
    http://bigstory.ap.org/article/man-center-teo-hoax-says-he-was-love

Listen to his leukemia voice

http://deadspin.com/5980822/heres-r...rm-what-he-claims-is-lennays-voice-on-dr-phil

I feel very uncomfortable.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2013

13. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

I'm totally lost :confused:

Is he saying that he is a recovering homosexual :confused: Is he also saying he was hurt when Te'o "dumped" him :confused: I just have no idea what is going on. Was it supposed to be a funny hoax, was he in love with Te'o, what the hell is going on in here :confused:

14. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

Lmao. This story is at the point that I would believe any possible plot twist that might come out, regardless of how outlandish or crazy it sounded

15. grundletaint

grundletaint Senior member

Hopefully