• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mantellassi Shoes

Lynch Bages

Reaction score
I had my eyes recently on a pair of Mantellassi shoes (retail approx. $800 -- which must be one of the higher end lines). I recall hearing a few years ago, however, that Wilkes Bashford stopped carrying Mantellassi altogether because of various customer complaints, including that the shoes squeaked. Has anyone ever heard about this problem with Mantellassi shoes?

Lynch Bages

Reaction score
The ones I was looking at are a brown, double monk strap with white stitching where the sole meets the shoe (not sure what that part of the shoe is called).

RIDER

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
that the shoes squeaked.

In just about every case of this, in better shoes, the squeak is a result of the flesh not being completely scraped off of the outsole before it is attached. The glue does not adhere for very long, an air pocket develops, and you hear it. This is not a Mantellassi problem, happens with every brand, now and again. Very easy to fix.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I recall hearing a few years ago, however, that Wilkes Bashford stopped carrying Mantellassi altogether because of various customer complaints, including that the shoes squeaked. Has anyone ever heard about this problem with Mantellassi shoes?

I've heard this from the Wilkes salesmen as well, but must say I've never had any problems with Mantellassi shoes, nor have I met anyone who has.

Drinkwaters

OG
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I don't believe this endemic only to Sutor Mantellassi footwear. All shoes have a Shank, which is a solid piece of material( sometimes made of Hickory,often made out of fiberglass or a resin and in industrial applications made out of metal) that is shaped like a tongue depressor. The shank is placed in the upper, between the center of the heel and runs to just under the arch which stiffens the shoe at that point and prevents the shoe from bending or breaking at that point. The welt and the mid sole are then attached. On occassion the shank becomes loose and will make annoying sounds such as squeaking. It is an expensive repair and I would recommend that you bring them back to the place you bought them and let them deal with it.
smile.gif

rjsphd

Reaction score
I own this very shoe, in brown suede. does not make noise. Neither do the mantellassi shoes I am wearing right now. Note: they size small-- I normally wear an 11 and in M I wear a 12

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All shoes have a Shank.
Allen Edmonds doesn't use a shank. This is one of the big selling points about AE - the lack of a shank apparently makes the shoes "mold and flex to the foot, rather than the other way around".

I've never noticed my AE's squeaking, though. Anybody else?

JDMcDaniel

Reaction score
I imagine AE uses a shank, but makes it out of a non-metal material.

My bentivegna constructed santonis squeak. If the problem isn't shank related, what might it be?

RIDER

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I imagine AE uses a shank

No shank - the shoes are welted 360 degrees, no need for a shank. Contrary to popular belief, a shank supports the construction of a shoe, when neede, not the foot. A vast majority of shoes are welted 'breast-to-breast' (heel base area) or are Blake, or McKay constructed, and need the support of a shank to anchor the construction - stiffen the shoe at the waist area. Some others, don't. Of course, this is why A/E shoes are so...rounded; while a comparable shoe like Alden are more...elegant.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I imagine AE uses a shank, but makes it out of a non-metal material. My bentivegna constructed santonis squeak. Â If the problem isn't shank related, what might it be?
There's definitely no shank. Â It says so on the website. AE Details Click on construction. Move mouse over "Shankless Construction". Â No shank. Â Short of cutting my shoes in half to show you (not doing that), I can't be clearer than that.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads