• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mantellassi price points and quality?

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
http://www.virtualclotheshorse.com/i...&att_value=8.5

Is anyone familiar with Sutor Mantellassi price points and the quality at each point? And the Borrelli price points and quality? And what lasts does Mantellassi have?

For example, I was looking at the above model carried by Lance which is supposed to be in the handmade range, but I have no idea how it would compare to EG and Lobb, which I am famiilar with.

Earthmover

Reaction score
Why do you hate the search function so much?

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Because it didn't give me all that much material on previous Mantellassi discussions, since there's a lot less relative to EG/Lobb discussions?

pejsek

Reaction score
josepidal said:
Because it didn't give me all that much material on previous Mantellassi discussions, since there's a lot less relative to EG/Lobb discussions?[/QUOTE
193 posts over 8 pages (which is what a query for Mantellassi gave me)?!

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
...few of which contained any definitive statement on Mantellassi lines, lasts and styles, leather quality, and construction.

Judging from the titles, you might guess a lot are threads about other shoes where Mantellassi was incidentally mentioned once.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by josepidal
...few of which contained any definitive statement on Mantellassi lines, lasts and styles, leather quality, and construction.

Judging from the titles, you might guess a lot are threads about other shoes where Mantellassi was incidentally mentioned once.

Jose- The Mantellassi's that you show are comparable to or slightly better made than EG and Lobb IMO. Remember, that I am one of the few around here who is not sold on the quality of teh two English brands you mention and certainly not at the price points they carry. In reality, the quality differences will be negligible between the three brands and you should feel comfortible choosing whichever one you like most. I think these boots are nice, and have considered them.

pejsek

Reaction score
Yes, you might guess, but you wouldn't necessarily be right.
josepidal, I don't mean to be too harsh. Many of the topics may not seem precisely on point to you, but certainly if you were to spend 15 minutes reading through them you would learn a great deal; at the very least you would be able to refine your questions. It strikes me as reasonably unlikely that you would ever get a treatise answering your original queries about quality, price points, and lasts for Mantellassi and Borrelli-branded Mantellassi shoes.
fwiw, I think that the upper-range Mantellassis are very nice shoes which can often be had at very attractive prices (vch, for example). The signature shoe seems to be a squarish split-toe Norwegian. I have three in this vein: a lace-up in London tan, a dark brown pebble-grain single monk, and (most recently) another lace-up in what I suspect may be shell cordovan. The shoes made for Borrelli appear to be stylistically more adventurous. You may recall the picture zjpj posted the other day (immsmc, a very nice black blind brogue).
In any case, if you are buying the top-of-the-line Mantellassis for $300 or less I think you can rest assured that you are getting a reasonable retail bargain.

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thing is, I spent more than fifteen minutes reading through them, and I really didn't find much. Mainly, I found that these higher end Mantellassis lance carries are very good, but my problem is that many people on this forum also consider C&J handgrade "very good" and I was hoping for a more precise answer. On the other hand, many people also say it's apples and oranges past a certain point with high end English and Italian brands, so asking for a comparison relative to Lobb and EG specifically on leathers, lasts, and construction is the best I could come up with.

It's rather hard to give a precise answer as well, and the one thread asking about Mantellassi price points was never answered.

Thanks, in any case, for the answer. I conclude that at least as far as leather and construction is concerned, the higher end Mantellassi shoes are at least as good as EG and Lobb, and aesthetics is up to the prospective purchaser.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
try limiting the search to just the title fields.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is jcusey's description of various shoe lines, which you might find helpful:

http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/f...hlight=pyramid

As jcusey notes, rankings aren't terribly helpful.

I have a pair of the higher-end Mantellassis. It retails for just under $1000 at Neiman Marcus.

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So what if they're not quite at the quality of EG and JL? So what if they're slightly better? They're good shoes. If you like them, buy them.

Are you worried that Nelson from the Simpsons is going to jump out at you while you're walking down the street, point at your feet, and yell, "Mantellassis!? A-ha!!"

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NoVaguy
try limiting the search to just the title fields.
That's a good idea. I never thought of that.

I'm asking for more specific comparisons for a number of reasons. For example, saying a shoe is "excellent quality" can be vague when you know there are a dozen brands described as such on the forum. I want to know a little more about how much of a bargain a price is, and what the quality really is compared to something I know to reduce the chance of buyer's remorse. I also can't quite feel leather and tell construction from photos, and don't trust my judgment yet.

Yes, if you like something get it, but might very well pull the trigger and realize I like something else a lot more.

Thanks again for the inputs.

kolecho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I saw some Mantellassi in Napoli. Its quality is superlative, ansd certainly up there with EG. I am not a fan of overpiced Lobbs. At retail (Euro600), they are pricey. At $300, they are a steal!

Try them on to check fit. That is the most important. You can decide if they are up to EG standards in terms of construction since you have some EGs. Style is a rather personal preference. Italians tend to be more adventurous. If you pick its "conservative" style, you will be well style forward in conservative Boston.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by josepidal
but my problem is that many people on this forum also consider C&J handgrade "very good" and I was hoping for a more precise answer.

Um, C&J handgrade are "very good" unless you have crazy criteria on what it takes for a shoe to be "very good."

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, yes, but people also say that EG is "very good" and Lobb is "very good" and it can get a bit confusing without some idea of relative merits.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads