• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mantellassi price points and quality?

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Chris "Italia"
If you are going to pay for the top line Mantellassi; go with Bontoni.

I would opt for Bontoni over Mantellassi.

Why?

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Talk about thread drift...yikes.

Sorry to disagree Chris, but....

As for Bontoni, I have seen it at Louis, Boston and Korshak and have been wildly underwhelmed. I find the styling to be average and the leathers to have an almost plasticky quality that was more reminiscent of corrected grain leather than anything else. Basically I find them to be Berluti lite. None of the good parts of Berluti and all of the bad.

Mantellassi , on the other hand, has always impressed me as an excellent shoe. They have multiple quality ranges but the design and leather quality are excellent in them all.

Chris "Italia"

Reaction score
Hmmm...

I have seen only a few Bontoni's and I thought they were awesome...

But, you know more about shoes than I do considering your collection.

To me; there is only one Italian shoe for me: Silvano Lattanzi.

The Price is:
wow.gif
Just too much for my blood now.

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

To me; there is only one Italian shoe for me: Silvano Lattanzi.

The Price is:
wow.gif
Just too much for my blood now.

We completely agree on Lattanzi in terms of both quality and price. There are a handful of smaller Italian makers like Ugolini, Bessetti and Scafora who far less known but have outstanding quality and design.

Chris "Italia"

Reaction score
Originally Posted by aportnoy
We completely agree on Lattanzi in terms of both quality and price. There are a handful of smaller Italian makers like Ugolini, Bessetti and Scafora who far less known but have outstanding quality and design.

Yes; problem is; we both have to go all the way to Italy to get those 3 shoes...

Aren't Ugolini made by Vass? Their RTW line is?

and the bespoke line is made by the Ugolini factory in Florence?

My favorite shoes by country as of now:

Italy: Silvano Lattanzi.

UK: Edward Green.

France: John Lobb Paris.

Give me those 3 RTW shoes.... and I will be very pleased.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by marc237
I have certainly heard other products having been described as not all that pretty to look at, but of real high quality.

Kind of like these Berlutis?

berlutifreakch6.jpg

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Hey, Frankenstein's Monster needs to go out pimpin' too...

Christofuh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hate Mantellassi shoes. Especially those made for Borrelli. There, I've said it
devil.gif
Uncomfortable as hell; to a point where you wonder if they were made to go on a display mannequin that won't care one way or another. The leather soles are stiffer than Mahmoud Ahmadinejad @ a Salute to Israel Parade. In that they simply wouldn't bend. Priced higher than either EG or JL shoes.
Here's one pair of wingtips that seems decent all-around ( I've seen this particular model in person ) being offered by our snappy friend from Cambridge. He claims their original retail was over $1800.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Yes; problem is; we both have to go all the way to Italy to get those 3 shoes...

Aren't Ugolini made by Vass? Their RTW line is?

and the bespoke line is made by the Ugolini factory in Florence?

My favorite shoes by country as of now:

Italy: Silvano Lattanzi.

UK: Edward Green.

France: John Lobb Paris.

Give me those 3 RTW shoes.... and I will be very pleased.

Ugolini bespoke are made in his "factory" which consists of five guys with hammers and thread sitting at a low wooden table on a side street in Florence. They are quite different from the Vass shoes.

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by odoreater
Kind of like these Berlutis?

berlutifreakch6.jpg

Well, now that you mention it, yes - just like those.

Roger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by marc237
Well, now that you mention it, yes - just like those.
I'm not sure this is that good an example! The general consensus wrt Berluti (RTW) is that the "quality" (in the sense that you'd use the term) is not very good.
laugh.gif
(Or were these bespoke?) To my eye the quality of the design and last are very poor--still "quality," mind you.

pejsek

Reaction score
Well now, perhaps this thread was just off to die a natural death. And if that's the case I apologize in advance. Now that I'm acquiring some photo skills I thought I'd add a couple of shots of my Mantellassis (all thrifted in San Francisco in the past couple of months). They are all from the top line with Sutor Mantellassi stamped in script on the sock liner. They are among the most versatile shoes I own and never fail to elicit complements. Very comfortable too. I walk a lot and have never experienced any fatigue in these.

macafee002gh7.jpg

macafee001ft8.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics