• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mantellassi or CJ or AS

jasonsun

Reaction score
For the same shoe (Perf Cap Toe) at same price (within $10-20 of each other), which one would you prefer?

RL Polo made by Mantellassi
CJ by CJ
Peal by AS

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
When did we ascertain that Manellassi was making shoes for Polo?

At least one of the Peal captoes is C&J-made and very nice.

jasonsun

Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
When did we ascertain that Manellassi was making shoes for Polo?

At least one of the Peal captoes is C&J-made and very nice.

I just purchased one and it's confirmed that Manellassi are now making some of the Polo line too; thinking about the BB peal since they are at good price too....

Not sure how CJ is compared vs Manellassi

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I own several of Mantellassi and C&J both, and I think quality it pretty close between the two. If the lasts were different I'd probably base my decision on that. With all else being equal, I'd probably get the C&J if only because I'd know the make rather than assuming the make of the Polo. I prefer both to the few A&S I have.

I also was just in a BB last week and I handled the two suede bals side by side - the one with the less brogueing was C&J and the other was AS, and the C&J had noticably nicer suede.

lagsun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First time posting but have been lurking for a while. Anyone know who makes these BB Peal Monk Straps?

I'm a shoe noob so how do they compare to the AE Thayer other than the soles in terms of quality?

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jasonsun
I just purchased one and it's confirmed that Manellassi are now making some of the Polo line too

whoever confirmed this, send them this complementary E-slap
smack.gif

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Not sure how CJ is compared vs Manellassi
I would not judge the rebadged shoes solely based on the reputations of their makers. Maybe the Mantellassi shoes are better than the other Italian Polo shoes, maybe not. My experiences would send me toward the C&J or Peals.

jasonsun

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
whoever confirmed this, send them this complementary E-slap
smack.gif

RL Purple Lable apprently has shifted some shoe from EG to Mantellassi as well......and changed from CJ to Mantellassi on the polo line too.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great! I'm wearing RLPL made by Mantelassi shoes today aka the Stanton.
plain.gif

jasonsun

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bigbris1
Great! I'm wearing RLPL made by Mantelassi shoes today aka the Stanton.
plain.gif

Don't be so surprised, it could been worse....it could as easily been made by Alden or any sub-level manufacture.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Without seeing them, I'd likely go for the CJ's.

stickonatree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
RL Purple Lable apprently has shifted some shoe from EG to Mantellassi as well......and changed from CJ to Mantellassi on the polo line too.
i think you are misinformed. italian made polos are not from mantellassi; if they were, it'd be from their lower line, not their main line, which are not as good a quality as compared to handgrade C&Js.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't be so surprised, it could been worse....it could as easily been made by Alden or any sub-level manufacture.

wow, choosing between RLPL Mantellassi and craptastic Aldens, that's a dilemma

Dolle Dolf

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lagsun
First time posting .... who makes these BB Peal Monk Straps?

...how do they compare to the AE Thayer o...

I think that it is the CJ Malvern. http://plal.com/cj2008-9.html http://plal.com/images/cj/2007-09-20-1617-38_edited.jpg

No idea how they stack up against the thayer, just that the thayer can be had on ebay cheaply, and that the CJs are prettier. I have a pair of AE derbies that are great, very comfortable. No need to break them in. I have a pair of CJ ankle boots that are terrific. Beautiful, but a lot more pricey.

I like that monkton. And the chalfront. Hmmmm....

jasonsun

Reaction score
Originally Posted by stickonatree
i think you are misinformed. italian made polos are not from mantellassi; if they were, it'd be from their lower line, not their main line, which are not as good a quality as compared to handgrade C&Js.

Well, i got this shoe, and i'm fairly sure it's from mantellassi.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads