• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Manly Things

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
"Drunk before noon day".

Anyone who can't get drunk by midnight ain't really trying.

-Toots Shor

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by skalogre
Wow, I remember that day. I thought the sudden tremor felt throughout the earth was due to Engelados' rumbling
biggrin.gif
Btw, what is all this about the Maxim gun? Inquiring minds et.c.
smile.gif

smile.gif
Oh Maxim? Well, Hiram was born in Maine, though he later emigrated to England. Some time before he left he managed to come up with the Maxim gun -- oh, around 1845, I believe. So one of the larger Class III/machinegun shoots was named after Maxim and held in Dover-Foxcroft, Maine for a few years. It was closed down the year I planned to go, though I can't remember why. By all accounts it was a pretty neat show, likely the second-largest on this side of the Miss, after the event in Knob Creek, Ky. Speaking of Knob Creek (which was this past weekend), for manliness hows about firing the largest, legal, civilian-owned howitzer in the U.S. has got to rate -- the 90mm T3 anti-tank gun. Link: http://www.subguns.com/boards/mgmsg.cgi?read=534789 I'm not entirely sure how much I'd want to name a rather peaceful shoot after Maxim though. Alot of kids died marching on Maxim guns like they were marching on a regiment with muskets in the Great War. Not his fault, but all the same. ~ Huntsman

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jay allen
I can tell you that you make ME laugh frequently. BTW....I completely agree with your post on fatherhood. I have two girls (12 & 2) and a boy (5) that consume virtually every waking minute of my time. If I go to my grave being considered a good father....I will be well pleased.

I know Hiram well....I've got a crazy Uncle who lives there. I always refer to it as the "Stephen King" town. I've driven through there dozens of times and have NEVER seen anyone on the street. It's a spooky place that Hiram,Maine.

Excellent. I'm always glad when people laugh on my account. Sometimes it's with me, sometimes it's ....well not so much. Still good though.

Bet you're a pretty cool father. I have had neither wife nor kids, but it's an honorable profession.

Spooky for Maine, from a native? Maine definitely has it's own identity, though I confess to not having been to Hiram -- the shoot (that I never got to, either) was in Dover-Foxcroft, which is nearby, if memory serves. I spent some time in Paris, and hunted outside of Rangeley. Great experiences all.

~ Huntsman

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I judge a man less on bluster and abilities, and more on character and restraint -- what he can, but chooses not, to do
Exactly.

Patrick06790

Reaction score
Replying to ninnies with terse Bogartesque remarks like "swell."

Oddly Familiar

Reaction score
Red Meat And Beer And Boobs! And And Nascar And Football Yeah Football And More Beer Kegs Man Kegs! Nah Man 40s 40s... Uh 40s And Kegs Yeah And And And Boobs Yeah! Im A Man!

But a real manly story now. From the youngest forum member.

About a year ago, I was riding my dirtbike, when I dropped it in a creek. Flooded the engine and couldn't start it. For anyon that rides motorcycles, you know that there is a kickstart on smaller bikes. Anyways, I was kicking the bike through and, oh, lets say the fourth kick I'm pretty frustrated and my pants got caught on the kick start and the foot peg got gouged into my shin. Pretty deep, too. Me being the genious that I am, I decide to keeep on riding, whilst my shin is bleeding rather profusely. About an hour later, I go inside clean the thing out with some peroxide and show it to my dad. He says it's pretty deep but you shouldn't need any stitches and I go about on my way. The thing bleeds everytime I move. The next day I went to a friends house and his mom, who is a nurse, looks at it and says I should have gotten atleast 3 stitches, but it was too late now. She shaves my leg and makes a butterfly bandage(I think?) and it eventually stopped bleeding. I still have one hell of a scar though.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Waking up at 7:30 in evening with a hangover because you drank beer all day in the sun and then took a nap.

And then grilling out brats and burgers in your driveway on a nice warm spring night and feeling 1000x better.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by VersaceMan
Waking up at 7:30 in evening with a hangover because you drank beer all day in the sun and then took a nap.

And then grilling out brats and burgers in your driveway on a nice warm spring night and feeling 1000x better.

Ugh you bastard. At least now I know what I'm having for dinner.
biggrin.gif

breakfasteatre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dakota rube
Sorry for this digression, but when my oldest daughter was about three or four years old, she wandered into the bathroom while I was urinating. She stood quietly behind me, apparently with some measure of wonder at the procedure.

When I was finished, and turned around to wash my hands, she nodded to me and said, "That would be really handy."

When I asked what she meant, she said it would be very handy to be able to "pee standing up. You know, like when we're camping."

We still laugh about this.

(And now, back to your regularly-scheduled posting.)

great
laugh.gif

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
today was first day of passover - got up at 8 am to smoke a 20 pound turkey and 2 7 pound briskets (you beat me to the post, faustian bargain). me, sitting in the sun, in a pair of shorts, smoking a montecristo number 2 (the last one left over from the box I got for my son't birth), drinking a few belgian white beers and a shot of good tequila at 9 am. that is as good as life gets when you are fat and unemployed.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Harris
Exactly.

Still, there is a measure of satisfaction to chin-checking a guy after enduring his hassling you all night. Double the satisfaction when he gets that stunned look in his eyes and goes straight down. Not advocating it, but still...

Horace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
Still, there is a measure of satisfaction to chin-checking a guy after enduring his hassling you all night. Double the satisfaction when he gets that stunned look in his eyes and goes straight down. Not advocating it, but still...

I'll admit to having taken pleasure in this myself. Though not in a long time. I was always worried that it's going to go too far. (And lucky I never met with a genuine bad-ass who was unstable). Assuming that the guy gets up, I've been less worried about what he's going to do, then what I'm going to do (and whether I'll go too far). Also chance has a horrible way of playing itself out. A friend of mine decked someone outside a bar. The guy who was struck fell over, hit his head on the curb, and died. Unless it's self-defense, I can't imagine anything is worth that.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
today was first day of passover - got up at 8 am to smoke a 20 pound turkey and 2 7 pound briskets (you beat me to the post, faustian bargain). me, sitting in the sun, in a pair of shorts, smoking a montecristo number 2 (the last one left over from the box I got for my son't birth), drinking a few belgian white beers and a shot of good tequila at 9 am. that is as good as life gets when you are fat and unemployed.

Sorry, have to ask: what witbier?
smile.gif

Now, if you could find someone to pay you big $$$ for your memoirs you could keep that uP!
devil.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads