1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Manila Tailor

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Dr. J, Dec 12, 2007.

1. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

you know what? bottom line is, if you're looking for Hong Kong level tailors in Manila (and I'm not talking about WW Chan or Ah Man) then good luck. I would even dare say that the Indian tailor/tourist traps in Nathan Road would do better, and at least the fabric used isn't some polyester piece of crap that won't even be used for a hazmat suit. for the money you throw away finding a good "suit maker" here, and if you're living in this country I would just as soon get a good Barong made and rock the shit out of it.

3 people like this.
  2. CasuallyDapper

CasuallyDapper Member

Who can you recommend for a Barong tailor and any pics on how to wear a Barong either smart casual or business casual?

3. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

I don't wear barongs but if I do I'd take a look at Silk Cocoon. most of what they display are garish but they do have nice fabrics.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2015
  4. bbaquiran

bbaquiran Senior member

I have three of those unlined Uniqlo sport coats and am pretty happy with them.

5. macxchange

macxchange New Member

For those who are more adventurous and can go to Divisoria, there's an alley there called Ylaya and try to find the shop of Mr. Benson Kua (dubbed as hidden Saville Row in PH). This is where the designers/bespoke tailors get their stash.

Benson Kua | Ylaya, Pasilio S14

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You can request for swatches and also buy beautiful inner linnings there. I can share his contact details over PM. :)

Last edited: Mar 8, 2015
  6. ASCChan

ASCChan New Member

If anybody is interested, I have access to sources of pure wool fabric factory overruns. No tags or labels though that can identify the mill or the quality of the fabric, but confirmed the fabric content through burn tests. The only problem will be the limited qusntities available. Prices should start around 300-500 pesos depending on the fabric. On the other hand, I can also order remanants from some wool mills in Italy, with labels, but have to order on a per ton basis. Problem will be the color and length igbghe fabric, a hit or miss really but at 600-1000 pesos roughly per yard, no matter the quality (could get super 150s in the batch) its a bargain.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2015
  7. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

LOL... "hidden savile row in PH"....

8. ASCChan

ASCChan New Member

Heheh he has made in Italy, China and UK, China ”wool" priced at ridiculous amounts. Remembered buying something for 600 per yard from him that I later on saw being sold for 150 per yard.

9. deuce2

deuce2 Member

Hey stylish guys of Manila. I'm heading to Hong Kong to commission 2 suits using CMT.
    I'm thinking to buy the fabric in Manila at the mall as I read that they are well regarded in this forum. I'm looking for fabrics with super number 150s and above.

Is the price difference of the fabrics bought in Manila and Hong Kong substantial? Same question goes for the amount of selection?

Also looking to buy horn and shell buttons there.. Any recommendation?

Thank you

10. ASCChan

ASCChan New Member

Hi Deuce

All the fabric being sold here are fake cheap poly wool crap fram China, with made in Italy, UK, France tags. Super numbers are also obviously fake. Just get everthing in Hong Kong. Sham Shui Po for buttons, zippers and stuff. There are also cheap fabrics there, bug not branded. Go to Saviero Limited for Italian and British fabrics, complete with tags, price of 400-600 hkd for super 100s to super 130s.A guy or shop by the name of Peter Lee is also very popular in this forum for fabrics. Dlso you can try http://www.lhshk.com.hk.

11. blitzmage

blitzmage Active Member

There are no importers of high-end fabric. Many of the fabrics come from China. The mid-level ones being used by local designers come from Korea while a very select few import fabric from Japan. Don't believe people when they tell you it's Italian wool. They can make such a remark because fabric doesnt have a "Made in Italy" stamped on them.

I do recommend taking advantage of the affordable labor and having some bespoke pants made. The thing with trousers is that fit is not only important, it's very difficult to find the right one off the rack. If it's just for casual wear meant to be used and abused, $25 bespoke trousers are certainly better than buying something off the rack from a department store or H&M.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  12. deuce2

deuce2 Member

@ascchan @blitzmage
    Thanks for the feedback guys. I would have a few shirts and trousers made at cornell's.
    where would you recommend to have a waistcoat done in Manila?

13. chris.tan

chris.tan Member

Anyone know where i can find a cotton linen blend in white? I've only been able to find linen, but the wrinkling is uncontrollable in the Philippines humidity. I have to starch it to levis stf level to prevent the wrinkles.
    I couldn't find any at kamuning when I visited 6 months ago.

14. Versace Guy

Versace Guy Senior member

There's a Zegna store in Greenbelt, why not just get your suit there?

15. ASCChan

ASCChan New Member

Hi Chris

I have suppliers for cotton linen, but you need to order full rolls of 50 meters unfortunately. From my knowledge, nobody locally carries these types of fabrics.

16. chris.tan

chris.tan Member

Haha yeah thats way too much material for my needs. Any recommendations on another fabric?

I need something that'll help with this heat. It's part of my daily uniform so it has to be durable enough for weekly laundering. Pure linen was great, but the heavy wrinkling had me looking like I was wearing pj's by the end of the day. Most people use the awful "clothman" material. It's very durable, but doesn't breathe. I think its 100% polyester.

17. kevinyapjoco

kevinyapjoco Well-Known Member

Anything that is pure linen or with plenty of it will wrinkle a lot. Linen is an inherently casual fabric. If you don't want fabric that wrinkles don't wear anything with linen in it.

18. kevinyapjoco

Look for Fresco, Finmeresco, and Crispaire. But you won't find it in Kamuning. And if you are buying those fabrics you might as well have your suit made by a competent tailor.

19. CasuallyDapper

CasuallyDapper Member

Good evening, fine gents!

I'm on a sort-of mission to get the most out of high street fashion and since I love blazers so much, I decided to experiment with changing the linings of some of the blazers I'm planning to buy in H&M and Mango Men (most low to mid-priced blazers have some form of polyester in their lining). Since I'm from the Philippines, I was wondering if you guys can suggest any tailors who can do such a job, how much, and suggestions on where I can buy viscose, rayon, or even acetate lining (was thinking about cotton lining, but I'm not sure). Also, is it possible for a full-lined suit be converted to a half-lined one?

Your opinions are much appreciated. :D

20. kevinyapjoco

I don't recommend changing the lining. Your tailor might just screw up a decent jacket.

The tailors here might not even accept the job because it entails unstitching the lining and sewing back on a new one which is time consuming. They would rather make entirely new jackets because they earn more and spend less time making it.

Cotton lining is not advisable. It wears warm and becomes icky when sweat has accumulated.